BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

It wasn't that many years ago £7 million for a good but not fantastic defensive midfielder from a mid table PL team was a more than reasonable price. The market has inflated like crazy.

Thats what happens when sky pay £5bn for the (domestic only) tv rights.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are Man City signing Delph and why did Villa let an England international go for only £8m?

Is he even that good?

Delph had a clause in his Villa's contract.

Man City want/need English Players in their squad. Meet Uefa home grow player targets for Champions league

Is he a title winning player though? Not sure.

Good point about the home grown quota though.

Surprised that the contract he signed in January only had a clause of £8million. England international, Villa have shot themselves in the foot there, he could have been sold for at least double that.

Surprised that the contract he signed in January only had a clause of £8million. England international, Villa have shot themselves in the foot there, he could have been sold for at least double that.

Maybe it was either that or lose him for nothing?

Why are Man City signing Delph and why did Villa let an England international go for only £8m?

Is he even that good?

He's a jobbing midfielder and his career will stall big time at City. His bank balance will be OK though.

Utd are getting Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern. What a signing that will be - pure class that lad. Surprised Bayern are letting him go as he's far from over the hill at nearly 31.

Totally agree, as far as driving CMs go, he's in the top 3 in the world.

He's a jobbing midfielder and his career will stall big time at City. His bank balance will be OK though.

Well that's Delphs England career before it even really began...

Total f-ing waste. If he goes on and plays regular for Man City I'll tip my hat, but like Barry, Milner and Rodwell before him it is far more likely he will become a bit part sub and his talent will waste away.

Bad news for Hodgeson. His weird narrow diamond formation thing was working really well. He'll need to find a new left sided player for it to come in in around six months when Delph disappears into the Man City reserve vortex.

Utd are getting Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern. What a signing that will be - pure class that lad. Surprised Bayern are letting him go as he's far from over the hill at nearly 31.

Okay, looks like Utd will be a force next year. Balls.

Nzonzi is cheap at 7 million. There is a reason Stoke were desperate to keep him.

Delph will be a good signing for City. Comp[aratively cheap as well. Done some work for Delph in the past. Nice lad, no airs and graces, wish him well.

Palace top ten? They have dropped two places already since your last post Chaddy.

Is he even that good?

Milner replacement. I don't see him as being quite as good as Milner though.

Every team needs a grafter, someone who will do the dirty work for the Fancy Dans. Unfortunately an awful lot of BRFC supporters can't quite grasp the concept and usually end up making that player a hate figure and booing.

Depends on two things, His wage demands and who they have lined up to replace him.

Maybe it was either that or lose him for nothing?

The Delph deal seems ridiculous to me- he signed a 5 year deal in January.

I think villa fans should feel hard done by, I rated Delph from when I've seen him and English midfielders are generally not cheap. How much was Lallana? I honestly think this lad is better.

The Delph deal seems ridiculous to me- he signed a 5 year deal in January.

I think villa fans should feel hard done by, I rated Delph from when I've seen him and English midfielders are generally not cheap. How much was Lallana? I honestly think this lad is better.

imo You are comparing apples and pears JB. Lallana is an attacking mid / forward and is very creative, Delph just possesses a big heart and a strong engine. They'd prob complement each other playing in the same team.

imo You are comparing apples and pears JB. Lallana is an attacking mid / forward and is very creative, Delph just possesses a big heart and a strong engine. They'd prob complement each other playing in the same team.

Possibly but I'm sure Liverpool paid a hell of a lot more for a similar age, rep and level of player. Nationality makes a big difference also, as the champions league teams need at least 8 trained in nation for 3 years before 21 I think.

• Backroom

As Chaddy said, City are bringing him in simply to fill up their English player quota. I doubt he'll play much.

£8M does seem a small amount for an England international who only signed a new contract in January though.

He probably wouldn't have signed the contract without the release clause though would he?

On the Lallana matter, he cost almost three times as much as Coutinho! The premium on English players is ridiculous, so £8m for Delph is a steal I think.

Archived