BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N'Zonzi off to Sevilla it's looking like, so the Europa League winners who are in the Champions League next season. For only £7m too, bargain for an excellent player.

Surprised by the low price. Release clause or has he fallen out with Hughes?

Edit - ah, last year of his contract. Stoke fans are going to be gutted.

• Backroom

Hughes buys better when his funds are limited, so I suppose it depends how much of the £7m he's allowed to retain for a replacement.

They've got Bojan to come back, too. Apparently N'Zonzi was playing a more advanced role in Bojan's absence, so they may be looking at a totally different type of player as a replacement. If they're looking for a DM Hughes has traditionally been able to fill that position very well.

It's a crazy world when Stoke are buying players like Bojan and Shakiri. But Hughes is a genius at that - very similar to our captures of Bellamy, McCarthy and Santa Cruz. Something about his gravitas and single mindedness. Souness and Allardyce could do it too. The ability to bring in true established quality to a mid table club is a rare talent.

Got to admire Hughes - massive body blow in losing Nzonzi, brings in Shakiri. Wow. Lucky Stoke fans.

Next years prem is already looking very competitive, except at the top where Chelsea will walk it again due to Mourinho the evil genius. I don't think anyone else will win it till he leaves...

• Backroom

Isn't Shaqiri more of a winger? I don't think he's a replacement for N'Zonzi. A great player for Stoke to bring in, though. He's never really fulfilled his potential and this is obviously a step down for him, but if anybody can get the best out of him it's Hughes.

Isn't Shaqiri more of a winger? I don't think he's a replacement for N'Zonzi. A great player for Stoke to bring in, though. He's never really fulfilled his potential and this is obviously a step down for him, but if anybody can get the best out of him it's Hughes.

Not a direct replacement, much more of an attacking player than the Fonz, but impressive way to lift fans who are downcast.

• Moderation Lead

Shaqiri is a cracking player, it was always going to be a big ask for him to get in that Bayern side. Inter aren't what they used to be, still, it's a hell of a signing for Stoke.

• Moderation Lead

As others have alluded to, if they get the defence shored up, as they've got some great players going forward already, it should be a good season for them.

I believe the premiership will be the most competitive league in Europe this season, maybe not as much quality as LA liga but from top to bottom, I believe the premiership is better.

The standard of refereeing in the Prem will always mean that the 'top teams' are at the top by the end of the season. If the refs allowed more of a level playing field we would see a much more competitive, and interesting, Premier League. Sadly not going to happen. At least the Fergie bias is gone.

Surprised by the low price. Release clause or has he fallen out with Hughes?

Edit - ah, last year of his contract. Stoke fans are going to be gutted.

It wasn't that many years ago £7 million for a good but not fantastic defensive midfielder from a mid table PL team was a more than reasonable price. The market has inflated like crazy.

Archived