BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

He's hardly been a success at Lokimitiv or Beskitas, still living off a good run as Croatia coach in 2008-2011.

Very very risky appointment IMO. Sticking with Sam would have been wiser. T

Just how funny would that be if Bilic took them down? :D

I hope so - Newcastle were relegated within 15months of sacking Allardyce. Be fantastic to see West Ham suffer the same fate.

I loathe this 'entertaining football' argument that you've invented Simon. How entertaining was it under Steve Kean's all new brand of football? I recall that you were quick to smugly shower him with praise after the heroics of the Liverpool win in 2011 - look where that exciting new chapter took us.

Managers like Big Sam deserve a hell of a lot of praise for what they do - you get managers ten a penny that pretend to play nice football; it's much rarer to find a manager that guarantees PL football year after year. Also hilarious that Pulis and Moyes have been lauded as top managers when they do exactly the same as what SA does - builds a solid side with a bloody big striker up top and relies on his more talented attacking 3 to get around him.

And Paul Ince's 'passing football' was memorable for being accompanied by loss after loss too. Ince's reign began OK too with much praise from the less knowledgeable supporters ...... until the players sussed him for the numpty he was.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An odd comment when you consider, prior to the gravy train turning up, English football had such exponenents of entertaining as George Graham and Graham Taylor. Percentage football had always existed.

Largely I would argue the quality of football has got better since the prem turned up.

To be honest I find this football used to be better in the good old days not really that convincing, but each to their own.

Also I would say to call Allardyce limited is unfair. He has succeeded almost everywhere he has been and sometimes played good football doing it.

90% of managers who have ever graced the premiership would love to have been as "limited" as him.

Allardyce = 5th most Premier League matches after Ferhuson, Wenger, Redknapp and Moyes. A statistic not to be taken lightly.

Prem football has got better for two reasons. 1. better players as the worlds best come for the money. 2. Pitches.

I hope so - Newcastle were relegated within 15months of sacking Allardyce. Be fantastic to see West Ham suffer the same fate.

I loathe this 'entertaining football' argument that you've invented Simon. How entertaining was it under Steve Kean's all new brand of football? I recall that you were quick to smugly shower him with praise after the heroics of the Liverpool win in 2011 - look where that exciting new chapter took us.

Managers like Big Sam deserve a hell of a lot of praise for what they do - you get managers ten a penny that pretend to play nice football; it's much rarer to find a manager that guarantees PL football year after year. Also hilarious that Pulis and Moyes have been lauded as top managers when they do exactly the same as what SA does - builds a solid side with a bloody big striker up top and relies on his more talented attacking 3 to get around him.

I haven't invented it though have I, otherwise he wouldn't have been sacked/released by Newcastle and West Ham.

The difference between Allardyce and say Mark Hughes is chalk and cheese. Both might be confronted with limited resources but Hughes will try to raise previous expectations, try to win every game he sets out to manage and try and be the best he possibly can. Allardyce by contrast will try to manage expectations down to a more modest level, set a modest target and will sacrifice certain League games, Cup matches if necessary and expansive attractive football in pursuit of that overall target. Each to their own but that's not really for me.

Obviously I'm not alone in that opinion.

The difference between Allardyce and say Mark Hughes is chalk and cheese. Both might be confronted with limited resources but Hughes will try to raise previous expectations, try to win every game he sets out to manage and try and be the best he possibly can. Allardyce by contrast will try to manage expectations down to a more modest level, set a modest target and will sacrifice certain League games, Cup matches if necessary and expansive attractive football in pursuit of that overall target. Each to their own but that's not really for me.

Obviously I'm not alone in that opinion.

I'd tend to agree BUT the similarity is that both are way out of our league now.

Hughes chalked up a lot of draws with Man City, I don't fault him for that as it may have been a bit of a complex situation. I think that was one reason he was let go and it was not the best way for him to leave at that.

Newcastle looking at McClaren.

So there is speculation that Steve McClaren is set to become Newcastle United's manager in the next hour. Here are some of your thoughts on the former England boss.

Barry King: McClaren's not the right man for Newcastle United. He's a Yorkshire Pardew for me but great for the Ashley regime. He's another yes man.

Ross Arnett: I want McClaren to prove me wrong and bring excitement back to SJP. But I'm not holding out much hope. His appointment doesn't scare me in comparison to Pards in 2010. But it is not the exciting appointment the fans wanted.

Michael Laverton: Steve McClaren can do well for Newcastle but Mike Ashley needs to put his hands in his pockets to support him.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/32959481

I wonder whether scheeve will take lee Clark up as his assistant with him having Newcastle ties. Or perhaps he'll take Pete Simpson I think he's called. The extraordinary combination that did so well at Derby.

It'll be SteAv now surely.

An Allardyce or Benitez signing?

Sullivan and Gold signing.Last season Allardyce was aloud to sign a player and the owners would sign another.Guess it worked quite well.

Roberto, do you get to hear of any Rovers potential signings these days. Or even Championship level?

Sorry little on the Championship other than Leeds.

Liverpool offered 20 Million Euro's for Kovacic over the weekend,but reckon that will be rejected with Inter after 26-28 million.Plus shedful of suitors.

Swansea offered £12 million for the serb striker at Anderlecht,couple of Bundesliga clubs bid too.

Surely that Ings lad not good enough for Liverpool?

The increase in money during the Premier League era has enriched the bigger clubs and severely limited the ambitions of the rest. And as such those lowered expectations and ambitions have flat lined so that 'just' maintaining oneself on the gravy train is the be all and end all. It has played into the hands of limited managers such as Allardyce, as ell as many other trophy less managersIn the future cold light of day who will recall a manager who maintains a club between 11th and 17th or a manager who won a cup (irrespective of any relegations)?McClaren has the league cup, Redknapp has the FA Cup even Alex McCleish has a league cup to fondly remember. Albeit such managers are becoming few and far between due to the monopoly of the top 6 but having the gumption and balls to not rest 10 players to chase 3 points and go for a cup will keep the fans of that clubs memories warmer.Allardyce now needs to win something to be truly remembered imo

Your a card. I've got some old quotes of yours somewhere about Allardyce. Balls and gumption? What about if you had shown some gumption when the Venkys trapped in instead of applauding Allardyces sacking and the arrival of Kean, and then shown some balls in supporting a manager doing well for the club with often zero thanks from cretinous oiks more interested in imaginary tippy tappy total football than the longevity of the football club at the highest level.

Allardyce will be remembered for many things, some good, some bad. But by Rovers fans he should be remembered fondly, as keeping us up and his work should have provided the spring board for the latest TV mega deal and the financial security of the club going forward. He's as far from limited as you can get. Using percentages to best advantage when facing inferior odds is cute, not stupid. You never did understand that. He was advocating pro-zone, sports science, dietary controls etc years and years ago when Bolton were beating Umited away. Very well respected in the game and his record speaks for itself, whether he wins a cup or not.

Leicester would have made excuses for their behaviour and let them off with fines if they'd been decent players.

Anyone see the England cricket tonight ? Makes football as exciting as watching paint dry by comparison.

Leicester would have made excuses for their behaviour and let them off with fines if they'd been decent players.

Anyone see the England cricket tonight ? Makes football as exciting as watching paint dry by comparison.

Unfortunately that sounds like the market we have to operate in now

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/17/leicester-sack-three-players-racist-thai-orgy

not the best thing to do on an end-of-season 'goodwill tour' in the land of your owners. Nigel must be so proud,

I wonder if any of em are any good AND if so if they fancy a move to the North West?

Suit us to the ground. After all we can only take loanees and free agents on and we've any number of dusky maidens on tap if that's what turns em on.

Didn't see it but it was a good win but a comfortable win wasn't it? 6 overs and any number of batsmen in hand wasn't it?

The cricket has been top drawer all week. Helped by the attitude and skill of New Zealand who have been a breath of fresh air. Hope they get granted a five test series soon. England's new look is very exciting indeed. Credit to Strauss for dumping Moores, sticking with Morgan and making the required playing changes. Root, Morgan and Butler have all been world class.

On topic, those Leicester players are total fools. Fancy his lad being involved. You'd think he'd have more respect for his father, if not the club and his profession on an official trip. Bet the owner is royally embarrassed. Would have been interesting if three first teamers to see how far morals stretched.

The cricket has been top drawer all week. Helped by the attitude and skill of New Zealand who have been a breath of fresh air. Hope they get granted a five test series soon. England's new look is very exciting indeed. Credit to Strauss for dumping Moores, sticking with Morgan and making the required playing changes. Root, Morgan and Butler have all been world class.

On topic, those Leicester players are total fools. Fancy his lad being involved. You'd think he'd have more respect for his father, if not the club and his profession on an official trip. Bet the owner is royally embarrassed. Would have been interesting if three first teamers to see how far morals stretched.

Bearing in mind where it happened I'm sure the owners would have sacked or at least transfer listed whomever was involved - no matter how good a player. I also think Pearson senior is now walking on very thin ice thx to his son.

Bearing in mind where it happened I'm sure the owners would have sacked or at least transfer listed whomever was involved - no matter how good a player. I also think Pearson senior is now walking on very thin ice thx to his son.

Transfer listed maybe, but not sacked if the player was a £10m player.

Football has no morals, these idiots are not worth much to the club so they're gone.

Look at Saurez and Liverpool, they defended the indefensible to the hilt, Kenny was out of order in a major way.

WHY?

MONEY and the pursuit of Man Utd, its a Liverpool obsession that certainly clouded the clubs judgement in the Saurez case.

Rather naive view. First team player might have been transfer listed but a key, big-money player would have had a rap on knuckes (fine).

Love your signature by the way - one of the best performances I have seen in 55 years plus of attending Rovers matches.

Tainted by association. I would say so also. I wonder if the lad still lives at home? :) I bet dinner times are quiet. I imagine his father is feeling a tad exposed and although he is a bit of a plank you have to say Leicester did very well to stay up last year.

Archived