BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

Like most other things in football the FA Cup final is basically just an opportunity for the Football Association to cash in and milk the occasion for all they can get.

I was tempted to buy the Cup final programme online earlier today, to try and start to build up a collection. They wanted £10 PLUS postage for the programme! They are on a different planet.

The final isn't for the fans of the clubs. The final is for the dignitaries, corporates, hangers on and the power brokers to have a day out. 40,000 out of the 90,000 at Wembley will be these people. All members of the 'football family' whilst thousands or tens of thousands of genuine, long term Arsenal and Villa supporters will be stuck at home unable to go and support their team.

No hangers-on amongst this bunch circa 1977.

https://twitter.com/terraceimages/status/591639118167277568

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reading in the paper about FA Cup final tickets and Villa have been allocated just 25k tickets, 6k less than the semi final allocation and that 9k down on the last home attendance!

Now we're talking about money and corruption at FIFA, but how can this allocation for the final be right? Thousands of tickets going to sponsors instead of real fans?

It's a bloody swiz!

Most of the remainder of the tickets go to county assocations and clubs - same as Wimbledon tickets.

It's not a swiz - it's about a minor perk for the grassroots of the game.

Most of the remainder of the tickets go to county associations and clubs - same as Wimbledon tickets.

It's not a swiz - it's about a minor perk for the grassroots of the game.

I think it's an abomination personally. 90,000 seater stadium hosting an FA Cup Final and only 50,000 of those seats go to the fans that throw good money after bad supporting THEIR team all year round, through thick and thin. How many of their fans won't be able to get a ticket to what could prove to be the biggest day of a football fans life?

So that's 40,000 seats left to fill - ironically the entire capacity of Villa Park. 17,000 to 'Club Wembley members' who most likely couldn't find Villa Park with a Sat Nav. The oldest and finest trophy in club football and 17,000 tickets are given to some hoorah Henry's with absolutely no affiliation with the two clubs playing.

23,000 given to volunteers and 'wider football family'.... what a nonsense. How many Prem football games get played in front of half empty stadiums every week? How many times do we see a half empty Wembley when England play? Give them tickets to those - not a game that literally means the world to those fans that have supported their club all of their life.

I don't particularly like Villa but the thought of Rovers ever getting to a cup final and me not being able to get a ticket makes me nauseous.

What ever happened to football for the fans? The FA cup is supposed to be the epitome of dreaming big; giant killings, trips to some tin pot ground on the other side of the country to watch a painter and decorator start up front against your team.... culminating eventually for two clubs in a trip to Wembley. Even for relatively 'big' clubs like Villa, it presents a rare opportunity to win silverware. The money grabbers at the FA have already tainted it by hosting the semi-final there; don't dilute the occasion any more by ensuring half of the ground don't even know a song between them.

And whilst we're on it, @#/? Wimbledon - same old players year after year, usually two of the top 4 getting a go in the final; it's a completely different competition.

I'm not sure I have ever seen as bad a display of final ball as Villa today. Arsenal have defended well but time and time again Villa drive 50-60-70 yards up the pitch into great positions, have arsenal on the back foot then pass sideways or backwards.

Its ridiculous, especially when you have Benteke on the pitch. They've barely used him.

Don't think they have tested the arsenal keeper once. Embarrassing for Sherwood.

Sherwood has a big task of rebuilding the squad. Need 4 or 5 good signings. Plus I would probably sell Bentake aswell if Liverpool offer anywhere near 25 million pounds

To be honest they have a much better side than Hull or Wigan have had in recent years yet put in an abject performance.

Arsenal worthy winners though. Great display. Have all the components to challenge for the league except for a Matic style destroyer in midfield. I continue to be bemused by Wenger refusing to sign someone of that ilk. Never replaced Gilberto Silva and have suffered for it over the last 10 years or so.

Fabulous attacking players and a solid defence. Just needs that last piece.

• Moderation Lead

As someone just alluded to, Arsenal aren't too far away from being genuine challengers. Khedira would be a good addition for them, and he'd be free!

Villa were poor, Benteke anonymous.

• Backroom

As someone just alluded to, Arsenal aren't too far away from being genuine challengers. Khedira would be a good addition for them, and he'd be free!

Arsenal need a proper striker, a solid DM and a top class centre-back to be genuine contenders. They've got a lot of sparkle but not enough steel to win the league, has been the same for years.

If I was Wenger I'd be looking for a better keeper, too, but the other positions would take priority first.

Villa are a poor poor side.

Sherwood has done well to keep them up, will he see out next season?

My thoughts exactly. In fact, to paraphrase drog, I think he'll be gone before the clocks go forward next Spring.

Add Benzema to Khedira and they would be the real deal.

Arsenal need a proper striker, a solid DM and a top class centre-back to be genuine contenders. They've got a lot of sparkle but not enough steel to win the league, has been the same for years.

If I was Wenger I'd be looking for a better keeper, too, but the other positions would take priority first.

Don't know if villa were that bad or arse that good but don't think they need that much .

• Backroom

Don't know if villa were that bad or arse that good but don't think they need that much .

Arsenal will always look impressive against teams like Villa (who were very poor today), but have struggled for years against teams with a combination of steel and quality. Look at their Champions League performances over the last five years.

They won't come close to Mourinho's Chelsea or LVG's United without some serious reinforcements IMO. They benefited this season from all the teams below third being significantly below par. They won't get the same luxury next season, and if they don't strengthen significantly I think the unsolved flaws of the last ten years or so will continue to place them far below the genuine title contenders.

Not the best match for the ref either. Arsenal best team by a mile cis they have the best players of course, but that refs favoured arsenal from the off.

Moss was awful and almost as bad as Villa.

I kind of felt sory for Villa, they were so far of the game it was embarassing and Sherwood could have substitued from a choice of 8 or 9 onfield players.

I think he kept Grealish on, who was having a nightmare, simply so that he didn't totally destroy the young guys confidence and future. We'll have to wait and see if that was wise man management.

Today I saw a team that crosses worse than Rovers, they were sending 'floaters' over - a decent Keepers first Christmas wish.

Some are saying Benteke was poor - well the guy defended quite well but got sfa service where it mattered.

Liverpool would have given the Arseholes a better game - and so would have Rovers.

Can't feckin stand Arsenal, southern ponces. (edit: only since keaner took over - used to like them in the Joe Baker then Charlie G days)

Manchester City Under 21's manager Patrick Vieira will talk to Newcastle about becoming their new manager.

Source SSN

I quite like Viera on TV - very articulate. I do hope that he does not ruin his career by going to the North East - a graveyard.

Manchester City Under 21's manager Patrick Vieira will talk to Newcastle about becoming their new manager.

Source SSN

The Geordies won't be happy with that one!

Archived