SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The best chance Bruce has of managing in the Prem again will be if Hull retain him and he gets them up next season. No way another PL team will go near him after this season imo.

2-0 Newcastle game over.

Absolutely disgraceful from West Ham. Including today I think that's 22 points from 24 games.

Absolutely typical Sam in my book. They achieved their survival target earlier than expected this season so the second half of the season has been a complete write off.

Always do the bare minimum and don't over extend yourself if you can help it.

2-0 Newcastle game over.

Absolutely disgraceful from West Ham. Including today I think that's 22 points from 24 games.

Absolutely typical Sam in my book. They achieved their survival target earlier than expected this season so the second half of the season has been a complete write off.

Always do the bare minimum and don't over extend yourself if you can help it.

Not sure about that Simon. I know you hated Allardyce but you are trying to re-write history. When Allardyce achieved survival with us the brakes were off and we finished really well I seem to rem. edit... here. 16 points from the last 9 matches in Spring 2009. If that was extrapolated over the season we'd have had 68 points!

Here check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

No doubt with WHU the fall off came about cos he knew that he was leaving early doors perhaps? :huh:

If something like Advocaat decides not to stay with Sunderland, sure, SA and others will be considered. I think Sam has had enough success that he might not have to wait that long and people know, there are basically "issues" with him in places like West Ham.

I am not saying Sunderland is a fit for him but somewhere might be.

Liverpool, lost last match 6-1 to Stoke, before that to Palace 3-1. My buddy says Rodgers won't be coming back. I think someone said something like this on one of the previous pages. Those are bad defeats.

Liverpool played more like a team coached by Kenny Rogers.

"You took a fine time to leave me Lucille"

Not sure about that Simon. I know you hated Allardyce but you are trying to re-write history. When Allardyce achieved survival with us the brakes were off and we finished really well I seem to rem. edit... here. 16 points from the last 9 matches in Spring 2009. If that was extrapolated over the season we'd have had 68 points!

Here check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

No doubt with WHU the fall off came about cos he knew that he was leaving early doors perhaps? :huh:

Sam will never ever get you 68 points. He'll probably get you enough points to survive in any given season but takes the weekend off for games he doesn't consider a priority therefore he's really only competing over a 28 or a 30 game season. Or around half in West Ham's case this season it seems.

If something like Advocaat decides not to stay with Sunderland, sure, SA and others will be considered. I think Sam has had enough success that he might not have to wait that long and people know, there are basically "issues" with him in places like West Ham.

I am not saying Sunderland is a fit for him but somewhere might be.

Sunderland would be a good fit for Sam. You would imagine they wouldn't be as bothered by his pragmatic style up there as at West 'aaaam and a couple of seasons of survival and lower to mid table consolidation would be an achievement for them after the turmoil under Di Canio and Poyet.

Sam will never ever get you 68 points. He'll probably get you enough points to survive in any given season but takes the weekend off for games he doesn't consider a priority therefore he's really only competing over a 28 or a 30 game season. Or around half in West Ham's case this season it seems.

Sunderland would be a good fit for Sam. You would imagine they wouldn't be as bothered by his pragmatic style up there as at West 'aaaam and a couple of seasons of survival and lower to mid table consolidation would be an achievement for them after the turmoil under Di Canio and Poyet.

Are we talking about 68 PL points or 68 Championship points? A very different level of achievement in each case...

Liverpool, lost last match 6-1 to Stoke, before that to Palace 3-1. My buddy says Rodgers won't be coming back. I think someone said something like this on one of the previous pages. Those are bad defeats.

Getting £50m for Sterling would fund Rodger's departure and allow a marquee signing.

They'd have Rafa back if they could.

Are we talking about 68 PL points or 68 Championship points? A very different level of achievement in each case...

Premier League obviously.

Sam's mantra seems to be to get around 50 Premiership points give or take and he generally achieves his targets but no more and no less.

Premier League obviously.

Sam's mantra seems to be to get around 50 Premiership points give or take and he generally achieves his targets but no more and no less.

But that's why teams bring Sam in. He will out-think 90% of league managers but ultimately he's never likely to be handed a job at a Champions League club. If you want guaranteed PL survival then Sam's yer man.

But that's why teams bring Sam in. He will out-think 90% of league managers but ultimately he's never likely to be handed a job at a Champions League club. If you want guaranteed PL survival then Sam's yer man.

Indeed.

My view on Sam is he's your man if you're involved in a relegation scrap and need someone to help you stay up or need someone to consolidate your position in the Premiership for one season, maybe two after promotion. After that if you're only going to finish mid table I'd rather be entertained and watch decent football than be bored senseless watching hoofball every week. If that style of football won you trophies and/or got you into Europe etc then I'd gladly put up with it but it doesn't. At the end of the day football is an entertainment and you have to enjoy going down or the whole thing's a bit pointless.

Obviously I'm not alone in that view otherwise Sam would still be at Newcastle and now West Ham.

• Backroom

He's been the one who has given Hughes the most credit this season which was always nice to see.

Good times to be a Stoke fan.

Wouldn't move to West Ham though if I was him. Too much of a sideways step.

Backwards step imo. Stoke are on the up and I suspect if he has his way (just like if we'd signed Lassana Diarra) they'll be touching the European spots.

Backwards step imo. Stoke are on the up and I suspect if he has his way (just like if we'd signed Lassana Diarra) they'll be touching the European spots.

Agree. Stoke are more or less or slightly behind the point we were a few years ago under Hughes.

Just need a bit of financial support from the owners to consolidate their position in upper mid table and try and push on even higher. Unfortunately in our case that support was not forthcoming from the former owners.

Agree. Stoke are more or less or slightly behind the point we were a few years ago under Hughes.

Just need a bit of financial support from the owners to consolidate their position in upper mid table and try and push on even higher. Unfortunately in our case that support was not forthcoming from the former owners.

Very true but we have had even less support from the present owners !

Isn't Rafa Benitez set to become the Real Madrid???

That's what the news stories have said.

Maybe it is not a done-deal yet though: http://www.realmadridnews.com/rafa-benitez-delighted-real-madrid-job-agent-12995

For the last 10 years, it seems the only reasonably stable time West Ham has had has been with big Sam.

Maybe they had one good year in there. Still, one year they even went down and in came Allardyce.

Archived