BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nottingham Forest v Rovers 3/10/12

I've had plenty of time to write this review following my sacking at wernham hogg to be replaced by a bald scottish chap. Joking aside, I have been a member of this website for the best part of a decade, i lived in nottingham as a student for 5 years, and so I thought it was about time i did a preview. As a student, I went to watch both Nottm Forest and Notts County regularly. I deliberately haven't mentioned kean etc in the preview given its covered in every other topic.

History of Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest were formed in 1865, I believe making them the 3rd oldest existing professional football club in England. (Notts County 1862; Stoke 1863) Surprisingly they are not one of the founder members of the football league.

Their record defeat is a 9-1 loss to Rovers at Ewood on the 10th February 1937.

Their finest hour is undoubtedly back to back European Cup Wins in 1979 and 1980 under the management of the legendary Brian Clough. They are the only European Cup / Champions League winners who currently play outside their respective countries top flight division, and the only one who has played in their 3rd tier.

The Nottingham derby with Notts County is the oldest existing derby between the 92 football league teams, and one of the oldest in the world. (Oldest existing derby is Sheffield FC v Hallam FC). Do not refer to Forest as 'Notts' Forest, a mistake i have made in the past! This upsets them. Notts County are the team of Nottinghamshire, whilst Forest are the team of Nottingham.

Forests' main rivals are obviously Derby County.

Modern History of Forest

Forest were relegated from the Premier League in 1999 and haven't been back since. They should be an example to Rovers as to what can happen if you do not get back to the promised land at the first opportunity. Forest have had disappointment in the championship play offs, they have been relegated to League 1, and also had play off disappointment in League 1. They have also had all sorts of financial problems. Former owner Nigel Doughty, who tragically died this earlier this year, is reputed to have ploughed 100k million of his own money into the club to keep them afloat.

2012 / 2013 Season

Expectations are high amongst the Forest faithful. They were bought by the wealthy Kuwaiti Al Haswai family over the summer. Our old friend Stevie Cotterill was instantly sacked and replaced by his former coach Sean O'Driscoll. O'Driscoll had left his coaching role at Forest to take up the managerial role at Crawley Town in May 2012. He returned to Forest as manager in July 2012, having bizarrely never been in charge of a competitive first team game at Crawley. Despite a promising start, they have started to slip down the league, and the fans will be hurting after today's result against Derby.

The Ground

The City Ground is actually outside the administrative boundaries of Nottingham, given its location south of the River Trent, and is actually in West Bridgford, much to the delight of County fans. Remember this when you get asked the old question about Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes! The away fans are located in the lower tier of the West Bridgford end. This stand is strange in that a section of it is considerably lower than the rest of the stand and it looks a bit odd. For those interested, this is because the local council put planning restrictions in place to allow sunlight for the houses benhind the stand.

From my own knowledge, the away end can be a bit difficult to get to if you are a first time visitor. If coming from the main road (London Road), walk behind the Trent End along the banks of the River Trent, then behind the Brian Clough stand, where incidentally the away ticket office is if anybody is travelling without tickets. I seem to remember access is blocked off if trying to get from behind the Main Stand to the away end.

Pre - match drinking

There are a few pubs around the ground but they are home fans only. My Forest supporting mate tells me the official away pub is the Notts County Supporters Club at the Meadow Lane ground. It is only short walk across the River Trent.

There is also the Hooters Bar. Its basically an American Diner style bar where the waitresses wear low cut bra's and hot pants! It's obviously popular with away fans, is on the main road half way between the centre and the City Ground, and is about a 15 min walk.

Personally, I would recommend Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem near the castle in the centre. It's one of my favourite pubs and is reputed to be the oldest pub in England, although 1 or 2 other pubs may dispute that. A section of the pub is in a cave. I will certainly be paying a pre match visit here.

There are numerous other good pubs in the centre. If you are getting the train, there are a number of bars at the Waterfront complex which is a short walk away from the station.

Forest v Rovers history

Forest have hosted Rovers on 54 previous occassions. Forest have won 22, Rovers 21. The first of these fixtures was in 1880 when Forest beat us 6 - 0 in the fa cup.

Our record away win in the Premier league came at the City Ground in the 95-96 season when we won 5-1. Our record home win in the Premier League also came against Forest that same season, when we won 7-0.

Despite going to the City Ground on many occassions, I have only seen Rovers play there twice, and will briefly share those memories.

Forest 0 Rovers 1. League Cup Tues 22nd Sep 2009

Rovers took approx 1000 fans and were squeezed in the upper section of the lower tier of the away end. Benni Mccarthy scored a cross come shot free kick. A certain Phil Jones made his full first team debut that night.

Forest 2 Rovers 1. Championship Sat 10th Feb 2001.

This disappointing defeat came in the midst of our fantastic promotion season. It was my second consequetive trip to the East Midlands in the same week; we had beaten Derby 5-2 in the fa cup 4th round replay earlier that week. Rovers took a decent following to Forest that day, I'd guess 1500-2000, but it was an abject performance. Matt Jansen scored a late consolation.

I will also share a memory of another game:

Forest 2 West Ham 1. Championship Sat 26th Sep 2004.

On the face of it this you are all thinking why? This game came after the death of Brian Clough, and this game was a chance to pay respects to such a legend. All Forest fans donned green jumpers in memory of him. I even dug a green jumper out. It was an emotional occassion for the Forest fans, but also one that as a football fan I am glad i was part of.

Players to watch for Forest

I went to the Reebok with my Forest mate to watch them play Bolton in the Friday night sky game. I was impressed with Lewis Mcgugan and fear he will out run our midfield. I was also impressed with Gillet. The former Doncaster man just sits in the midfield and quietly goes about his business. They also have Andy Reid. He is a talented player but makes Dunny look slim.

Predictions for the game

In all honesty I have not got a clue. Prior to watching Forest play today, I would have predicted a convincing Forest win against Rovers. Now I am not so sure. Anyway the Ryder Cup is now full swing and so I will leave you all to debate this one...

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent preview!

I went to both the 7-0 and the 5-1 which together form the joint largest double ever in the top flight. If I remember correctly, after the win at the City Ground our record over Forest for three seasons was played 6, won 6 for 24 against 3.

Coming away after the 5-1 win, one old Forest fan asked; "Will you Rovers leave us alone?"

I watched the Forest v derby game and Forest looked all kick and rush. Fit as the proverbial butcher's dog but about lacking menace.

A well organised Rovers side would have nothing to fear. Over to you Mr Black...

Looking forward to venturing to Nottingham on my first Rovers game of the season. I guess the resignation of Mr unpopular has indeed whetted my appetite for all things football and all things Rovers ! Whatever next ? My season ticket money is now burning a hole in my pockets and once a seat is identified for me and the lads it will be all booked and paid for.

I think Rovers are capable of 3 points, they certainly need them now after a lame draw on Saturday and indeed, what a plus on the positive side for a boost for Saturdays massive game versus the Wolves.

Yea McGugan is a very dangerous player.....from set pieces as well.

I wasn't too impressed with them today but it was a derby so it's hard to judge.

Simon Cox has been playing well scoring some cracking goals along the way.....they've got some other decent players like that Cohen and Billy Sharp......Jenas might play well in the 15 mins before he's stretchered off.

They're in 17th atm, 5 points behind us but it's far too early to concentrate on league position.....they've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 2 so far......at home, they've beaten Bristol City and drew with Charlton and Birmingham.

With our team anyone could score against Rovers and that goes all the way down to teams in the blue square prem at the moment.

Until we get some better players and a better manager /backup team then suppose we just have to accept it.

The Fans Forum received the following message from a Notts County representative :-

HI THERE NOTTS COUNTY FC INVITE ALL BLACKBURN ROVERS FC SUPPORTERS TRAVELLING TO FOREST AWAY 3/10/12

TO OUR MLSB BAR OPEN TO AWAY FANS ONLY.WE ARE 5MINS AWAY FROM TRAIN STATION AND 5MINS AWAY

FROM CITY GROUND.WE ARE OPEN FROM 5PM SERVING A WIDE RANGE OF FOOD/DRINKS AND HAVE ONSITE PARKING AT 4 POUNDS,

FOR THE DURATION OF THE GAME.

WE ARE CHILD FRIENDLY AND SHOW SKY SPORTS 1 AND 2 HOPE TO SEE MANY OF YOU HERE FOR ANY MORE INFO

CONTACT MYSELF ON 07805212095

DAVID MCKENNA

NOTTS COUNTY FC

BARS MANAGER

I must admit we usually head to 'The Larwood and Voce' by Trent Bridge cricket ground ... but this may be a good option.

great preview. I remember the 95/96 games very good as my uncle and 2 of my brothers are forest fans. Forest had played something like 15-16 games in a row without losing when they met us at ewood park that season, so it was alot of fun mocking my brother after that game. was worth all the beating i got afterwards.

Was originally planning going to this with my family but when it was put on a weekday it made it hard for us to fly over.

I have watched a couple of forest games this season. Before the season i didn't have alot of expectations for them, but they have really impressed me. of all the teams i have watched on telly this season Forest have impressed me the most, despite them not picking up lots of points. Think it will be a really tough game and we will have trouble keeping a clean sheet (but thats not new). shame it doesn't go on tv

If still in charge - I hope Black shakes things up a bit - for me Henley to left back - move Olsson to left mid - and possibly start with Simon on the right (or even Nunes). For me, give Murphy more options to pass forward to - and lets see if his poor form is down to him or lack of options. Otherwise drop him and play Lowe or MGP - at least they can run.

If still in charge - I hope Black shakes things up a bit - for me Henley to left back - move Olsson to left mid - and possibly start with Simon on the right (or even Nunes). For me, give Murphy more options to pass forward to - and lets see if his poor form is down to him or lack of options. Otherwise drop him and play Lowe or MGP - at least they can run.

Mm, " at least they can run ". Yeah but not very fast.

Does big dextor miss Wednesday's match now?

One of the most exciting games I have watched was the 2-2 at the city ground where Gallacher and Wilcox put us in front until the ref decided to play until midnight and they equalised! A couple of seasons before I loved the 7-0 and 5-1 hammerings we gave them.. Crossly give us a goal, Crossly Crossly give us a goal!

HOOTERS BAR IT IS THEN. Thanks for the advice Dave.

Can anyone recall the media article that Nottingham is full of desperate tottie given it has the largest proportion of women to men of any city or town in the country.....better keeps ABBEY away given his sexploits.

HOOTERS BAR IT IS THEN. Thanks for the advice Dave.

Can anyone recall the media article that Nottingham is full of desperate tottie given it has the largest proportion of women to men of any city or town in the country.....better keeps ABBEY away given his sexploits.

There is a myth that Nottingham has 4 girls to every lad. I think it is to do with the large nursing college they have. I certainly didn't notice 4 girls to every lad during my time there, but maybe that was just me!!

There is a myth that Nottingham has 4 girls to every lad. I think it is to do with the large nursing college they have. I certainly didn't notice 4 girls to every lad during my time there, but maybe that was just me!!

one per limb....pity it wasn't 5 to every lad. :rock:

My team (I would include CKR and Best when fit):

------------Robbo

Lowe Dann Givet Henley

Vuckevic Etuhu Dunn Martin Olsson

---------Rhodes---Gomes

Wage budgets and Kean aside, this is the sort of line-up we should be looking at. Dunn obviously isn't ideal in CM, but he'd surely offer more than Murphy has been for 60 minutes or so. I'd plump for Lowe at RB as he looked ok there last season and Bradley Orr has been pretty shocking for the past few weeks.

• Backroom

Tricky game and I can see Mcguigan scoring past Robbo

I hope Black has realised Lowe will never be a winger and is barely and adequate footballer at this level

Simon has to be given a shot on the right IMO

Archived