BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming he is appointed every Rovers fan should give a warm welcome to Henning Berg.

Although the selection "process" has been a farce that is irrelevant now. Berg may not be everyone's choice but he deserves support from the outset. He will certainly need all the luck in the world if he is to put right the mistakes of the past 2 years and achieve promotion this season.

As for his staff, Berg was a team-mate of Hendry's so it is possible he will stay.I certainly hope Black stays - he knows our weaknesses and the team was slowly improving under him.

I doubt if any manager could get these players promoted this season ...

There is definitely a squad here that's good enough for promotion. It's slightly unbalanced but that can be addressed. The fact that we're 5th despite the utter farce of the management situation tells you something.

Have a look through Cardiff's squad (top by 3 points). A lot of our players would walk straight into their team; Robinson, Olsson, Givet, Dann, Etuhu, Kazim-Richards and Rhodes would walk into most teams in this division.

Intersting comment from somebody on the LT website

roverfoxy says...

Not from me just something my mate sent from a Norweigan fan

In hennings bergs first season at lyn they finished 3rd. his team got a wrong penalty against them in their second last game of the season. If that had not happened they would probably have won the league that season. To put that achievement in perspective. Lyn to finish third in tippeligaen is equivalent to finish third with a club like Sunderland budget wise. No one really expected him to top that table position with the economy they had. The gap up to the big spenders was just too big. The following season they finished 7th, 9th and 7th, which were decent, the season after he left lyn got relegated and then they went bankrupt.

He was signed to take over lillestrøm after the 2008 season but due to them being only 3 points over relegation zone he started his jobs two games before the season ended. In his first game in charge they beat Rosenborg (which won the league by clear margin that season) and secured top flight football.

When he took over Lillestrøm they had the oldest squad in the league, and a lot of high earners. He had to clean up their entire squad and in his first season everyone expected them to struggle which they did. The other seasons they were predicted to be higher up, and he had lillestrøm around 5th 6th place until the summer window which due to economic recession in the Norwegian league between 2008-2011 he had to sell his most talented youngsters.

So to sum up he has managed a midget budget wise and had decent success with them, then he managed a sleeping giant from the 80s which were and are in complete in turmoil.

In terms of formation he usually sets his teams up either in 4-4-2 or in 4-4-1-1. He likes to have players with a lot of pace, especially on the wings and the wingers he has used tend to be good to challenge 1on1 (so I guess he has some shopping to do in January). His teams have been rather solid and organized defensively. He is a die-hard fan of zonal marking. He plays an attractive possession oriented style with a lot of short passes and mostly passes on the ground. He has also liked to play with two holding midfielders. I think he is very inspired by arsenal and arsene wenger when it comes to playing style and transfers.

In my opinion he was very unfairly treated at Lillestrøm. He did all their dirty laundry, brought in young players and got rid of high earners and when they finally got stable economy they sacked him. The sacking was also a farce. Basically he had the boards support, but then an extern investor contacted the board and said “I will invest xx millions but only if you sack Henning”. So they went for the fast option. Lillestrøm is now a Norwegian QPR version. They have signed 18 new players this season (many of them Norwegian internationals who didn’t play for their foreign clubs) but this has not materialized and they are basically at status quo in terms of league position and their attendance are plummeting.

His ex assistant managers will probably not join him. His first assistant manager is assistant manager at Aalesund and the other one just got relegated as manager for Stabæk after failing to get the job at Lillestrøm. I think he would want to bring his own staff in, and then he will bring people who share the same football philosophy as himself and people he can work with. Maybe he can work with black and Hendry, but if not I think he will get other people in.

I’m obviously a big fan of Henning Berg as I suggested him over 5 weeks ago when he wasn’t even remotely linked with us. I don’t agree with someone saying “5 weeks and we end up with henning berg, what a disaster.” The reason for this is if this had been a quick appointment I don’t think he would even be considered by Shebby and Shaw. If he gets the job I think he will have impressed them with what he has presented to them and they think he is the right choice. I hope shabby and shaw have done a thorough job in talking with potential managers but of course I don’t know if this is correct.

Berg has no experience of this league and there will be huge pressure on him to be a success straight away - there will be no time to learn on the job here.

Berg was in Rovers' promotion team of 2001 so he has some experience.

There is definitely a squad here that's good enough for promotion. It's slightly unbalanced but that can be addressed. The fact that we're 5th despite the utter farce of the management situation tells you something.

Have a look through Cardiff's squad (top by 3 points). A lot of our players would walk straight into their team; Robinson, Olsson, Givet, Dann, Etuhu, Kazim-Richards and Rhodes would walk into most teams in this division.

I doubt Etuhu and Richards would walk into any squad in this division ..These are 2 players , I hope not to see much more of , along with Orr .

Dann has played well this season a big improvement on last ...and the others I agree with you ..

Interesting from Jan Aage Fjortoft:

"My good source in England: Blackburn Rovers want a yes/yes man. But Henning Berg is not a yes/yes man..."

This is what every single one of us says. Jan Aage Fjortoft was manager/DOF at Lillestrøm SK when Berg came in. Berg demanded total control of all sports activities and Jan Aage left. He knows what he is talking about.

Blue N White: Hope you have other sources than Nixon on this....

I doubt Etuhu and Richards would walk into any squad in this division ..These are 2 players , I hope not to see much more of , along with Orr .

Dann has played well this season a big improvement on last ...and the others I agree with you ..

Have you been watching the games?

never mentioned conspiracy once, do keep up, theres a good child

Ugh. Lay off Jimmy.

Can we all agree that Shebby is a tool and doesn't know what he's doing but Berg will get our backing and we cautiously anticipate some much needed change within the club, to whatever extent it manifests itself?

But the love of your life appointed him!

Bit harsh on Etuhu, he's been one of our better players this season. He's been a solid PL performer for the last five years (played over 20 games in each of the last 5 seasons). Perhaps "walk into any team" is a bit strong, but he would certainly not look out of place in any team.

CKR hasn't really shown his best form so far, but someone with 35 caps for Turkey with clubs like Fenerbahce and Galatasaray on his CV definitely has the pedigree to play for any team in this league. He's still only 26 so hopefully a new manager can bring the best out of him.

Totally agree with Orr. Terrible footballer. His position is one of the weak links we need to sort out (I'd play Lowe there until we can get someone in January).

This is what every single one of us says. Jan Aage Fjortoft was manager/DOF at Lillestrøm SK when Berg came in. Berg demanded total control of all sports activities and Jan Aage left. He knows what he is talking about.

Blue N White: Hope you have other sources than Nixon on this....

Same source that told me Sherwood isn't happening. McKinlay wouldn't happen. Holloway wouldn't happen unless Shebby changed his mind.

Make your own mind up.

Thats okey, but stupid talk like regretting renewing the season tickets , burning it et al. Sometimes Rovers fans make me sad. We are a very negative bunch.

And also people coming in saying that Henning is YES-MAN??? FFS Read about his time at LSK and also his critical articles about Venkys. He won't take kean from anyone and I rather think he will leave his post in fury if someone start intervening.

Also about the 5 weeks. Its been a bit shambolic (mostly because of rumours from ITK, News etc) but what IF Berg showed himself to be the most exciting applicant with the best ideas ? No one knows....

Whoa you cant talk sense on here you know, 2years of negativity takes time to go. Me well as i have said earlier i reckon Mr Berg will do just fine.

Archived