BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with Henning Berg, obviously he's pretty much an untried entity but he's clearly a very popular ex-player. I am worried Shebby seesm to have simply worked his way through a list of ex-Rovers until agreement was reached. This is not the way to appoint a football manager.

With regards to Henning's earlier views and taken from the article;

• relationship between owners, manager, players and fans must improve - OK Kean has gone which has improved things but much of the goodwill has been disipated by taking five weeks to appoint. Relationship with the players, largely never in question but look at the booing?
  • the owners have to change everything - We are a long, long way from that
  • someone must be brought into run the club - it's not apparent to me Shebby is running the club, I would have thought a real CEO was the answer
  • old values need to be restored - we haven't even started on this one
  • start treating people with respect - very questionable still
  • funds available - money has been available, will there be more for the new manager?
  • things have to start quickly - I have seen faster tortoises! FIVE weeks to find a manager? How long to sack Kean?
  • down to the owners to change the mood - I'm still waiting

I don't see many of the changesHenning said were necessary to give us a chance of promotion have been made - perhaps I could be generous and say we are 10% along a very, very long road.

In June Berg said we would not be promoted. Tomorrow it's November. Why have our chances suddenly turned around because he isn't coming here unless the club feel he can win promotion.

I'm afraid this smacks of the "new Mourhino" and fan appeasement route Shebby is intent on following.

Sums up things very well. Good post.

Hopefully that makes things clearer Bryan and explains my thinkings behind my comments. Oh and that's before I start to consider nutrition, recovery and physiological issues surrounding it all.

Basically, the SAID principle in action then, with no need to use cross-training to target specific attributes as the football training will take care of that.

I know Gazza used to do upper body weights when he first started which he credited for his ability to hold off challenges and go past people. I guess thinking has developed since then.

And one of your other point was that he'd played under one of the best British managers ever in SAF. So did Ince, so that doesn't prove anything.

Just my thoughts looking at the positive aspects of our potential new manager. Maybe think of attitudes, I would like to think Henning has a much better attitude than the sulky Ince.

Well I like to be called King Dong but no one does.

You Sure ^_^

Everyone wanted OGS, and really, Berg's managerial record isn't far off in Norway. He took a team with almost no money to within a couple points of a title, and after he left they got relegated. Also, Berg seems pretty passionate about winning, and isn't afraid to speak up to higher ups like his manager. http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/31-Players/444-graeme-of-truth

If Berg is the choice then so be it.

The chicken farmers can't do anything right so I'm happy they picked a human being realistically.

We do have to get behind the manager now and all the players.

As for Singh, his head is on the block as far as I'm concerned. An experienced manager was waht was needed.

He might be, but then again he might not. He only has the rest of this season to prove it. If Rovers don't get promoted he will be gone.

Lets hope he does. My issue like many others is that this whole procedure has been nothing short of a disgrace and if this is an indication of how Shabby runs thing then we are in the sh!te.

Then I'm sure it would annoy one or two on this board. Not a lot, but I'm sure one or two.

Not going to start with SK type "lets all be positive comments" but lets all just remind ourselves of who we put up with for so long. Berg is twice the man he ever was.

This COULD be the start of something good. The interview "process" is a thing of the past now, lets leave Henning to do the talking & look forward to seeing what he can do.

Assuming he is appointed every Rovers fan should give a warm welcome to Henning Berg.

Although the selection "process" has been a farce that is irrelevant now. Berg may not be everyone's choice but he deserves support from the outset. He will certainly need all the luck in the world if he is to put right the mistakes of the past 2 years and achieve promotion this season.

As for his staff, Berg was a team-mate of Hendry's so it is possible he will stay.I certainly hope Black stays - he knows our weaknesses and the team was slowly improving under him.

Agreed. On the Hendry point though, it seems that the more one gets to know him the less likeable he becomes, plus Berg knows more aboiut defending than Hendry ever did. I'm expecting Hendry to be gone in a week and Black to remain as assistant, at least until the end of the season.

Everyone wanted OGS, and really, Berg's managerial record isn't far off in Norway. He took a team with almost no money to within a couple points of a title, and after he left they got relegated. Also, Berg seems pretty passionate about winning, and isn't afraid to speak up to higher ups like his manager. http://www.wsc.co.uk...graeme-of-truth

To Be honest that's the first time i have read the article, I am even more liking Mr Berg.

Basically, the SAID principle in action then, with no need to use cross-training to target specific attributes as the football training will take care of that.

I know Gazza used to do upper body weights when he first started which he credited for his ability to hold off challenges and go past people. I guess thinking has developed since then.

Some still use weights, others don't. Horses for courses. Basically I like receating footballing situations that require the attribute that is desired to be trained to be trained. So gazza would have done lots of work that involved holding players off with high frequency. Yes weights will do the same thing but this way I can also train football at the sametime. Training levels are so low in football that you have to take every oppurtunity to train the game itself IMHO.

If Black was to stay at the club in some capacity, we've certainly got no shortage of tutors for the defence alongside Hendry and Berg.

Of course, we have no idea what will happen, but hypothetically speaking it could be very good.

''Souness and Yorke ended up in an argument about an incident on the pitch. Souness threw off his tracksuit top and insisted on joining in and playing. He sometimes did, even though he was over 50. The players didn’t have the courage to protest. They kicked off and the first thing Souness did was to chase after Yorke. The manager threw himself at his own player, studs first, kicked him at knee height with both feet and left Yorke lying on the grass. Yorke was carried off. Souness didn’t comment on the tackle at all, he just insisted they played on.''

The sheer brilliance and passion of Souness..love it! :tu:

Good post, thats my attitude also.

I think regardless of who everyone wanted, NOW is the time to get behind Henning and the lads.

One thing Berg can do, is gain the squads respect with his medal collection!

3 x Premier League winner

League Cup winner

FA Cup winner

Champions League winner

Dont get many better than that!

+1

imo the most sensible way to look at this is something along the lines of:

1. Berg will without a doubt be accepted and given a chance. That goes for 99.9 of our fans.

2. debating whether he is good enough or not, does not equal he wont get a fair chance.

3. People have very right to question this appointment, especially considering that shebby stated, big name managers are interrested..

4. If you compare Berg to some of the other candidates, he loses out big time.

5. considering 3 and 4, its only natural to debate his appointment and the reasons why.

Im definetly not against berg, i enjoyed puffsans post and Berg might work out, i certainly hope so. That doesnt mean i am not aware of the other candidates, those who were mentioned by name like schuster and redknapp and the fact that they are better managers( atleast so far). So we had managers ready to do business, with pedigree of the highest order and chose an unemplyed manager, whose experience solely comes from managing in a poor league. Imo you´d have to be an idiot, if you dont for a second question or consider the motives behind all of this. As i stated, even if we are debating the pro´s and con´s, it doesnt mean Berg wont get a fair chance, it just means some fans are worried about the direction of our club.

Bloody hell... why bring this in?

Berg has still to prove himself a promising manager, but at least he is young. And, possibly in a late bid to prove himself as wacky as the rest of Blackburn's hit list, he believes teams should be allowed to bring on a 12th man if they go four goals down in a game. No really, he does. It is an idea of the Norwegian FA's designed to prevent youth teams losing heart if they come up against greatly superior opponents. "It is a good rule that will lead to more even matches," Berg said. "It is no fun to lose 17-0, and no fun to win 17-0 either." Seems fair enough, as long as it is limited to junior football. Otherwise Arsenal would have been entitled to an extra man when they went 4-0 down to Reading last night, and that might have spoiled everyone's fun.

Archived