BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager Part 3

Kamy100

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to prove my point. Broadcasting PM's on the board? I'm sure your loyal supporters will be here to rub you down shortly.

You really are a prickly little sod aren't you, why don't you do us all a favour and kean off you offer nothing to this site other than antagonistic nonsense.

This is what Berg said live on Norwegian TV when asked if he would be interested in the manager-job (in May):

"Ehhhmm, taking over a PL-club would be fun, and an Nationwide-club as well, but if you're going to be manager for a club, you have to have the right owners. To work as a manager in a club with these owners would be madness. There's no "real" manager, with some credibility, that would take such a job. You have to know a lot more. You're shooting yourself in the foot. Yes, you might stay there for some months, and then you won't be able to do what you want, and everything changes. There must be some clarity regarding the owners. I hope Jack Walkers family, who still have money, will buy the club back and run it with Jack Walkers principles. "

(My rough translation)

(http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/10/31/sport/fotball/premier_league/championship/blackburn_rovers/24121892/) - Norwegian source

This is what Berg said live on Norwegian TV when asked if he would be interested in the manager-job (in May):

"Ehhhmm, taking over a PL-club would be fun, and an Nationwide-club as well, but if you're going to be manager for a club, you have to have the right owners. To work as a manager in a club with these owners would be madness. There's no "real" manager, with some credibility, that would take such a job. You have to know a lot more. You're shooting yourself in the foot. Yes, you might stay there for some months, and then you won't be able to do what you want, and everything changes. There must be some clarity regarding the owners. I hope Jack Walkers family, who still have money, will buy the club back and run it with Jack Walkers principles. "

(My rough translation)

(http://www.dagbladet...overs/24121892/) - Norwegian source

Ooops Henning :rock:

I'm in the top 5 contributors then, surely?

You're the site @#/?, surely!

batman and braddock

what a team!

At least braddock tries to talk football, this idiot can't even manage that.

To be honest, this smacks of Kean's appointment. Time went by without a replacement and in the end we got anybody we could in to fill the vacancy. Lessons have clearly not been learned. The only thing I have faith in is Henning's ability to stand up for himself and be his own man.

Make no mistake, Shebby Singh clearly wanted a puppet and for him, that's what's he's got. However, as time will tell, Berg is not one to be told how to do things and will refuse to be the puppet even if it means the end of his employment. Should be an interesting season.........I can't see any end to the tension behind the scenes.

What are you on about Kean appointment, more conspiracy theories, or have i missed the joke

Just read it again i see what you are saying sorry.

Very disappointed with the reaction on here. I think Berg is a good appointment and can't believe some people are wishing they hadn't bought there season ticket after Kean went because of it.

I think a large section of our fan base is waiting to jump on people and give them a hard time. Murphy doesn't deserve booing (although hasn't played well), CKR doesn't deserve booing for missing a pen (he was the most relieved man on the pitch when Rhodes scored and rightly so) and Berg deserves our respect, he doesn't deserve just a chance - he deserves our full support and backing.

Venkys are not going to sell, so for our own sanity and the sake of our club we need to put them to the back of our mind and create a positive atmosphere to get this club going in the right direction again. I am no Venkys fan, but I don't see how creating a bad atmosphere in the ground will get them out, however I do see how it effects the team. So we can't bring it into the games. To much damage has been done in getting Kean out in this regards - which HAD to happen.

The Kean episode has done real damage to the fabric of our club. The only way this can heal is for people to make peace with the WHOLE team and manager and support the team so we get promoted and hopefully become a stable Prem team again DESPITE our owners.

You're the site @#/?, surely!

At least braddock tries to talk football, this idiot can't even manage that.

Thats another one canned for a while. Just because your 4'0" today doesnt excuse it.

Keep this on topic....

Strength is ability to express tension, but it's a wide spectrum, ranging from speed strength, strength endurance, through to explosive strength and max strength.

So in a way speed and power are actually strength attributes themselves, no?

Apologies if this is what you were saying anyway.

Aye I understand the interactions and relationships, but take a differing view on it all. Speed and power are derivaties of strength as you say but IE max or endurance strength is not as important as either of them for me. Obviously our playing style influences my trainings, we play high intesity passing and pressing football with speed on the attack. So for me strength (maximal as indicated by the weights comments) isn't a factor I'm bothered with as it will improve through the training of strength and power. Another factor I find very important is enjoyment as players generally hate the gym and by doing the trainings I do I can involve team-work and the ball. I find the training level increases far more this way as the psychology of training is a factor I highly endorse. Obviously younger lads will need bulking up in some aspects but again it can be too derogatory to other factors such as jumping and speed, so I am cautious in that aspect. It's a careful balancing act but one that I feel works well given the way we play and our results this season to date. Speed endurance is enhanced this way as is max & endurance strength itself (ableit slowly), max speed as well and speed endurance (repeated sprint ability, very very important as this is what football is all about), agility especially as we work muscles through actions used in the game not through machines or free weights. I also focus on increasing players muscle energy recovery to ensure we can play this way for 90 minutes, which we can. Another aspect to consider is that lifting heavy weights really doesn't occur in football, yes you hold off players and the such but these actions are more of a whole body one than focused in say the manner a bench press is. Core training is massively involved in what I do as well as this is the basis for all strength as you most likely well know. But again it's all combined together through varying techniques.

Hopefully that makes things clearer Bryan and explains my thinkings behind my comments. Oh and that's before I start to consider nutrition, recovery and physiological issues surrounding it all.

Very disappointed with the reaction on here. I think Berg is a good appointment and can't believe some people are wishing they hadn't bought there season ticket after Kean went because of it.

I think a large section of our fan base is waiting to jump on people and give them a hard time. Murphy doesn't deserve booing (although hasn't played well), CKR doesn't deserve booing for missing a pen (he was the most relieved man on the pitch when Rhodes scored and rightly so) and Berg deserves our respect, he doesn't deserve just a chance - he deserves our full support and backing.

Venkys are not going to sell, so for our own sanity and the sake of our club we need to put them to the back of our mind and create a positive atmosphere to get this club going in the right direction again. I am no Venkys fan, but I don't see how creating a bad atmosphere in the ground will get them out, however I do see how it effects the team. So we can't bring it into the games. To much damage has been done in getting Kean out in this regards - which HAD to happen.

The Kean episode has done real damage to the fabric of our club. The only way this can heal is for people to make peace with the WHOLE team and manager and support the team so we get promoted and hopefully become a stable Prem team again DESPITE our owners.

Excellent post. Fully agree.

It's his stage name.

His first name is Serbgeth. Why people call him 'Shebby' I don't know.

Had a look on Wiki, couldn't find a reason. I suspect it's his media friendly name.

What I did find is someone's been naughty on Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Shebby_Singh

Playing career

Shebby started his football career as a defender for local team. He was part of the Kuala Lumpur FA team which won the Malaysia Cup three years in a row from 1987–89. He played nine years of international football for Malaysia, including playing in three Asian Games in 1982, 1986 and 1990, and was a South East Asian Games gold medallist in 1989.[1]

His career in domestic football lasted eighteen years from 1978–96. He won every domestic honour, including the Malaysia Cup, Malaysian FA Cup and League Championship.[1] He has played against the likes of Bayern Munich, Hamburg SV, Aston Villa and Newcastle. He was named Man of The Match when facing Shrewsbury Town. Shrews manager Graham Turner rated his performance as 'Top class'.

He once had a trial at Southport FC. They did not rate his perfomance as 'Top Class'. In fact, they rated him as 'Absolutely Sodding Useless.'[2]

Coaching and media career

In 2006, Shebby coached a reality TV show football team named MyTeam, composed of amateur footballers. Shebby took the team to a training stint to Manchester United's Old Trafford. The team was held to a goaless draw with the Manchester United Selection team. After the training stint in Manchester, the team lost to the national football team which was composed mostly of under 20 players. The team lost by a slight margin of 1–2. Again in 2007, MyTeam 2 was formed and the team lost to Indonesia national under 23 football team. The team lost 0–2.

In 2007, he was appointed as technical advisor to Malaysia Super League club Melaka TMFC. He also had a brief stint as caretaker head coach of the club after previous coach Irfan Bakti Abu Salim was sacked. He only lasted one year at the club.

Shebby Singh frequently appears as a football analyst on the ESPNStar network.[1]

Blackburn Rovers

On 28 June 2012, Burnley F.C. paid Blackburn's Indian owners the Venkys- to make former Malaysia defender Shebby Singh their Global Advisor

Just a thought...

What of Henning Berg turns out to be an excellent manager?!

Thought I'd just add some balance to this message board.

I would still argue that now is not the time to find out...not fuming with his appointment but i really think of all the candidates available he should not of been anywhere near the running, just an opinion but he will get my full backing!!

To be fair Paul that was June and it was referring to us going back up with Kean in charge, that's one major change that has happened. It probably also assumed, as did most of us, that we'd lose a lot of players and spend nothing. Nobody saw us spending £11m on 2 strikers at that stage.

I'd say quite a bit has changed to be fair.

I think if you look at the article most of the points Berg made have now been sorted.

I don't have a problem with Henning Berg, obviously he's pretty much an untried entity but he's clearly a very popular ex-player. I am worried Shebby seems to have simply worked his way through a list of ex-Rovers until agreement was reached. This is not the way to appoint a football manager. I'll support whoever (well almost anyone) comes but I'm unsure about this.

With regards to Henning's earlier views and taken from the article;

• relationship between owners, manager, players and fans must improve - OK Kean has gone which has improved things but much of the goodwill has been disipated by taking five weeks to appoint. Relationship with the players, largely never in question but look at the booing?
  • the owners have to change everything - we are a long, long way from that
  • someone must be brought into run the club - it's not apparent to me Shebby is running the club, I would have thought a real CEO was the answer
  • old values need to be restored - we haven't even started on this one
  • start treating people with respect - very questionable still
  • funds available - money has been available, will there be more for the new manager?
  • things have to start quickly - I have seen faster tortoises! FIVE weeks to find a manager? How long to sack Kean?
  • down to the owners to change the mood - I'm still waiting

I don't see many of the changes Henning said were necessary to give us a chance of promotion have been made - perhaps I could be generous and say we are 10% along a very, very long road.

In June Berg said we would not be promoted. Tomorrow it's November. Why have our chances suddenly turned around because he isn't coming here unless the club feel he can win promotion?

I'm afraid this smacks of the "new Mourhino" and fan appeasement route Shebby is intent on following.

Archived