BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

The Dart

• Backroom
From the BBC

Ten Football League matches have been postponed as wet weather takes its toll on the fixture list

In League One, Brentford's game with Stevenage, Hartlepool against Portsmouth and Scunthorpe-Carlisle are off because of waterlogged pitches.

Six games are also off in League Two after pitch inspections, including the visit of leaders Gillingham to York and Wycombe's game against Bradford.

Nine of the 11 Blue Square Bet Premier games have been postponed.

Following heavy rain, there will be a second pitch inspections at Crewe and Northampton at 12:15 GMT before their respective games against Bournemouth and Northampton.

The Scottish Division Two match between Ayr and Brechin was postponed on Friday.

Which currently makes us the only Championship team with a game called off. With a pitch that should still be Premiership standard.

I'm not saying conspiracy btw, but very poor pitch preparation? sounds it to me.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North and south affected. Games off so far.

Championship: Blackburn v Brighton

League One: Brentford v Stevenage, Crewe v Bournemouth, Doncaster v MK Dons, Hartlepool v Portsmouth, Scunthorpe v Carlisle

League Two: Bristol Rovers v Rotherham, Morecambe v Dagenham & Redbridge, Oxford Utd v Fleetwood Town, Port Vale v Wimbledon, Torquay v Exeter, Wycombe v Bradford, York v Gillingham

Conference Premier: Alfreton v Barrow, Cambridge v Nuneaton, Ebbsfleet v Hereford, Gateshead v Stockport, Hyde v Mansfield, Newport County v Braintree, Tamworth v Southport, Telford v Luton, Woking v Forest Green

Scottish Division One: Dumbarton v Raith Rovers

Scottish Division Two: Ayr v Brechin

This is one stick you can't beat the club with. The weather has been horrendous throughout the night and well into the morning. We have had continuous rain and that is something we cannot control.

Hopefully this works in our favour and we'll be more fitter than the opposition for a change come Boxing Day.

Accy Stanley seem to be coping 5 miles down the road and they have the countries most renowned donkey pitch! Would agree about it possibly being a blessing though

This is one stick you can't beat the club with. The weather has been horrendous throughout the night and well into the morning. We have had continuous rain and that is something we cannot control.

Hopefully this works in our favour and we'll be more fitter than the opposition for a change come Boxing Day.

I'll believe that when I see it.

This match would never have been called off under Williams and Finn ;)

What has Wigan got anything to do with Blackburn? The weather is not the same everywhere in the North West.

On my occasions it will be raining in certain parts of Blackburn and in other parts, completely dry.

We're all annoyed that the game is called off, but there has been torrential rain since last night and there is nothing much Rovers could do about it.

Telegraph Comment.

For those who don't have memories before 1995 Ewood Park is next to a river. Fantastic efforts by groundsmen and pitch builders have meant that for many years the drainage has been better and we have not had a problem. Obviously the huge quantities of rain which have fallen has meant that the water has nowhere to go. It's nothing to do with Shebby, Berg, Venky's, Kean conspiracy theories or anything else, it is the location of the stadium and nature which have caused this.

What has Wigan got anything to do with Blackburn? The weather is not the same everywhere in the North West.

On my occasions it will be raining in certain parts of Blackburn and in other parts, completely dry.

We're all annoyed that the game is called off, but there has been torrential rain since last night and there is nothing much Rovers could do about it.

This has to be the first time you've actually defended Rovers. Some would think your just contraversial :) It's just the famous Blackburn micro climate then !

Even the most gullible rovers fan must know it is just not the ref who makes the dession to call of the game,he consult's cheif steward .police and groundsman.

The normal process should be that the club should contact the referee the day before to ascertain his movements should he be required to carry out an early inspection. The referee lives in Yorkshire so I guess he wouldn't have planned to stay overnight. In this case he will have got to Ewood around noon and immediately checked the pitch. Given the timing of the announcement this is the more likely scenario. My only comment is that given the forecast the referee should have been instructed to stay locally to inspect the pitch earlier. In the past I have been at grounds from early morning and made an inspection every half hour or so. Although there would have been no guarantees with this at least he could have factored the travelling Brighton fans into his decision making.

Even the most gullible rovers fan must know it is just not the ref who makes the dession to call of the game,he consult's cheif steward .police and groundsman.

ONLY the ref makes the decision about the pitch. Only a gullible soul would believe otherwise

Sorry I forgot to fall in line with the imbeciles so here goes

"WHAT!!!! Syndey FC played and their pitch was fine!!!!!"

ONLY the ref makes the decision about the pitch. Only a gullible soul would believe otherwise

Sorry I forgot to fall in line with the imbeciles so here goes

"WHAT!!!! Syndey FC played and their pitch was fine!!!!!"

Ultimately the referee does have the final decision regarding the pitch but he would have been unwise not to talk to both managers and Steve Patrick before making his decision.

Are there not covers for the pitch? May seem like a daft point but if the pitch had been covered for the last 24 hours then surely the pitch would have been playable? That's what happens in cricket!

I appreciate there are a few theories around about Blackburn micro-climates and the river Darwen, but to a laymen like myself, covering the pitch would have been the logical thing to do.

I guess someone is going to tell me it's more complex than this.....

Archived