BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where is Rock Bottom for Rovers?

TBTF

For months now it seems like we have been hovering just above rock bottom only to find new ways of still continuing to fall.Each week we seem to hit new depths and my instinct is that we actually need to crash land now if ever we are to recover from any of this.

People have called it a slow motion car crash for 12 months or so and the dire, creeping nature of our demise is just too painful now resulting in mass apathy towards the Club from people who have been long standing fans.I fear all time low crowds are just around the corner.

So what would constitute ''Rock Bottom'' for us , what are the consequences of that and could we all live with whatever those consequences are??? Furthermore, what would constitute steps towards recovery??

Lets try and keep it sensibly on topic -i am aware this post could result in all sorts !!!

I Hope that Rock Bottom was when was the few weeks before Steve Kean was Sacked/Walked, granted at the moment the curve up is not very steep

10 months ago

• We wanted communication from the club - we have it, granted not as smart as people would like
  • we wanted Steve Kean out - he had that last window to mess us about

i know the form we have right now is not very good, but its ignorance to think that we have a divine right to get promotion at the first attempt, some teams in this division have been building teams for years for a promotion push, our team is unbalanced and will probably need 2-3 transfer windows
to fix.

The end of our existence?

Although personally I could see us settling down to be a mid table league one team

Depressingly, I agree.

I do wonder at what point Venkys will cut their losses though.

Our breakeven point with Venkys (and PL parachutes) gone is possibly Championship strugglers. Our breakeven point with Venkys still in charge is probably mid-table League One - challenging for the play-offs - possible yo-yo club. Surely we have enough hardcore fans to ensure we don't go any lower than this? :(

We could well end up worse off than when Jack came along due to the expectation of those fans who have only ever known us as a PL club, and the hype created by Sky of PL-or-bust mentality.

It's a shame that there are so many fans who feel justified, almost proud, that they've abandoned the club ("I'm not stupid enough to give Venkys any more of my money") but ultimately it's the club (i.e. the fans) who will suffer - certainly not Venkys - when the numbers are totted up.

Read today that Dunfermline are due to pay their players their November wages, and have paid their tax bill - due to fundraising activities. Now that's grim.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Stuart" data-cid="1350740" data-time="1356015521"><p>

Depressingly, I agree.<br />

<br />

I do wonder at what point Venkys will cut their losses though.<br />

<br />

Our breakeven point with Venkys (and PL parachutes) gone is possibly Championship strugglers. Our breakeven point with Venkys still in charge is probably mid-table League One - challenging for the play-offs - possible yo-yo club. Surely we have enough hardcore fans to ensure we don't go any lower than this? :(<br />

<br />

We could well end up worse off than when Jack came along due to the expectation of those fans who have only ever known us as a PL club, and the hype created by Sky of PL-or-bust mentality.<br />

<br />

It's a shame that there are so many fans who feel justified, almost proud, that they've abandoned the club ("I'm not stupid enough to give Venkys any more of my money") but ultimately it's the club (i.e. the fans) who will suffer - certainly not Venkys - when the numbers are totted up.<br />possible as low as Bradford City who lived the dream for 2 seasons

<br />

s. Now that's grim.</p></blockquote>

Although Venky's do seem to be having a bit more say on what goes on rather than acting upon "advice" , Not 100 % convinced that there aren't a few sharks and one or two snakes still circling the man flailing about in the water, waiting to complete their feeding frenzy which was cut short at the last attempt.

So once they complete 'the plan' and there is nothing left to feed on then we will hit rock bottom

Read today that Dunfermline are due to pay their players their November wages, and have paid their tax bill - due to fundraising activities. Now that's grim.

With an average home attendance in the region of 4000 they have no future and should disband along with other minnows just down the road Cowdenbeath, Falkirk Alloa and Stirling Albion to form one proper club that can financially wash it's own face......

Hey I've just had a thought!! Maybe we should look at doing something along those lines with our neighbours!! ^_^

We could follow the example of Coventry, another club that was in the top flight for a long time, by hanging around in this division for a few seasons without doing anything in particular and then drift down to the third tier. It's highly likely the bottom has not been reached yet.

Thinking about it further, rock bottom would be Rovers merging with Burnley, PNE, Bolton etc to form Lancashire United.

Who would go and watch such a beast ? Answer: very few.

All the younger supporters Jim. The ones who have yet to become old and intransigent and just want a successful club able to stand toe to toe and compete in the top division with the games heavyweights. The lower divisions are for losers and us older supporters are expendable. The fall in attendance at Ewood which has not bottomed out by a mile imo just illustrates the stupidity of your question. Who do you think will be watching the current beast in 2/3 years time (providing the club still exists of course). Wouldn't a merged club be much better than no club at all?

Don't you remember the dark days in Div 3 when crowds at Ewood were down to 5-6000 and all the kids were coming out of local schools sporting cags and scarves of Liverpool, MU or LUFC? I damned well do. There are still loads of middle aged men out there with an allegiance to one of those clubs which was created in those dark days.

Question for you..... what do you think will happen first? A return to those dismal days of desperate financial inadequacy or a new Jack Walker turning up? Shouldn't take even you all that long to figure that one out.

An ever downward spiral with the Venky's at the helm,they have dismantled what Jack Walker and so many others fought hard for.

The whole situation is depressing,hurtful and makes me angry.Its borderline criminal what has been allowed to happen at Ewood.

p.s.

'Lancashire utd' will NEVER happen Theno and I'm sure fans of Burnley and PNE would agree..we've been here so many times fella!

All the younger supporters Jim. The ones who have yet to become old and intransigent and just want a successful club able to stand toe to toe in the top division with the games heavyweights. Us oldies are expendable.

Don't you remember the dark days in Div 3 when crowds at Ewood were down to 5-6000 and all the kids were coming out of local schools sporting cags and scarves of Liverpool, MU or LUFC? I damned well do. There are still loads of middle aged men out there with an allegiance to one of those clubs which was created in those dark days.

Question for you..... what do you think will happen first? A return to those dismal days of desperate financial inadequacy or a new Jack Walker turning up? Shouldn't take even you all that long to figure that one out.

Won't happen. 10,000 - 15,000 crowds at most. The ManU contingent will continue to go to Old Trafford as usual.

We could follow the example of Coventry, another club that was in the top flight for a long time, by hanging around in this division for a few seasons without doing anything in particular and then drift down to the third tier. It's highly likely the bottom has not been reached yet.

That's what I presume would happen if we don't go up this year or possibly next year.

Barnsley, Bradford, Coventry, Oldham and Swindon have all played in the Premier League......Barnsley has a smaller population than Blackburn and Oldham's is similar. The rest have bigger populations.

Even significant spending doesn't guarantee promotion......it could be a long, long time until we played in the Prem again.

Aren't we already there?

Shambles on the pitch, shambles off the pitch, lifelong supporters turning their back on the club.

I'd daresay it couldn't get any worse but Venky's would rise to the challenge.

Of course it can get worse---------relegation AND administration.

Venkys version of "the double" :(

Archived