SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But he isn't a terrible player is he?

Depends on ones opinion. Pace is an essential for full backs and personally I've seen milk turn quicker than Orr. Whether or not he could do a job as a deep sitting midfielder I don't know but imo that is his best option at this level.

Relations with fans were hardly at a high though, were they? Had they had the support through the season maybe they'd have been more inclined to speak up. Just my opinion and I'm not saying anything further as it's been done to death. All I want to say on that topic is in this post.

Shows what you know. The players had the support of all fans throughout the season so long as they tried and you will find, I suspect, that they knew that. If they didn't then they should have done because it was said often enough on all sorts of sites and through all media and even though some of them don't seem overly endowed with brains, they can all read and write and listen to media broadcasts. They knew that we didn't blame them for the way things were going - we even understood why sometimes it might be hard to put in a full shift when you weren't fit or when the organisation was poor. The failure to stay up last season had everything to do with the mistakes, wrong decisions, deliberate ploys of owners, manager and others who had influence they shouldn't have had and for Orr to come out and suggest that poor Mr Kean was somehow a victim in this instead of one of the chief instigators is just plain wrong and, whilst we might have to play him under the rule of beggars can't be choosers, we don't have to like him or feel in any way that what he said and the manner in which he said it, was acceptable.

Depends on ones opinion. Pace is an essential for full backs and personally I've seen milk turn quicker than Orr. Whether or not he could do a job as a deep sitting midfielder I don't know but imo that is his best option at this level.

I disagree. Was personally a fan of Salgado (please note I am not saying Orr is anywhere near Salgado). You can play full backs like this in the right circumstances against the right winger. I'm not saying he should be guaranteed his first team place at all and I wouldn't mind if he was permanently replaced on merit. At this level, though, he is a competent full back. Ideal squad player to have at the moment.

Relations with fans were hardly at a high though, were they? Had they had the support through the season maybe they'd have been more inclined to speak up. Just my opinion and I'm not saying anything further as it's been done to death. All I want to say on that topic is in this post.

I don't want to say much either. It was a crap line of argument at the time and its a crap argument now.

The players and the manager let us down, not the other way round.

Shows what you know. The players had the support of all fans throughout the season so long as they tried and you will find, I suspect, that they knew that. If they didn't then they should have done because it was said often enough on all sorts of sites and through all media and even though some of them don't seem overly endowed with brains, they can all read and write and listen to media broadcasts. They knew that we didn't blame them for the way things were going - we even understood why sometimes it might be hard to put in a full shift when you weren't fit or when the organisation was poor. The failure to stay up last season had everything to do with the mistakes, wrong decisions, deliberate ploys of owners, manager and others who had influence they shouldn't have had and for Orr to come out and suggest that poor Mr Kean was somehow a victim in this instead of one of the chief instigators is just plain wrong and, whilst we might have to play him under the rule of beggars can't be choosers, we don't have to like him or feel in any way that what he said and the manner in which he said it, was acceptable.

Great post Gumboots.

Going against my previous post on only making that one post on the fans (and for that I apologise) I'd like to add that there wasn't much support at all for the players during the 90 minutes. It was all anti-Kean/Venky's, letting chickens onto the pitch during a game we had to win and protests. The blame is heavily on the owners and manager but to say that the fans deserved respect from the players any further than trying to win football games is one I can't share. You could have sympathy for the fans of course, because all relegations are horrible for fans. Ultimately though, you don't think of message boards and media broadcasts when you're trying to get back into a game and the crowd are intent on booing, even if it isn't aimed directly at you.

Going against my previous post on only making that one post on the fans (and for that I apologise) I'd like to add that there wasn't much support at all for the players during the 90 minutes. It was all anti-Kean/Venky's, letting chickens onto the pitch during a game we had to win and protests. The blame is heavily on the owners and manager but to say that the fans deserved respect from the players any further than trying to win football games is one I can't share. You could have sympathy for the fans of course, because all relegations are horrible for fans. Ultimately though, you don't think of message boards and media broadcasts when you're trying to get back into a game and the crowd are intent on booing, even if it isn't aimed directly at you.

Orr didn't - or none that he showed so you go against what you have said. End of it is - he didn't have to say what he did, and if it was heat of the moment stuff there are ways of getting out afterwards that you are sorry if you said some stuff that upset people and you can totally understand and sympathise with fans' disappointment, anger whatever. He didn't and nor did any of the others responsible.

Win or lose that Wigan game we were down anyway and as it was the last league game of the season it was the last chance to let the t@ssers know what we thought of them. (back in the days when we still thought they may have been human beings with some semblance of reasoning)

I would have thought the players would have been happy as it took the emphasis away from their incompetence and surrender monkey football

That is now ancient history and hopefully Appleton can back up his recent encouraging statements with more wins :-)

Exactly right! As if we'd have stayed up if only we'd cheered them on for the last home game of the season!

They were supported throughout the season, home and away. The manager on the other hand was totally despised all season and continually showed us why.

The biggest insult is that in the aftermath of relegation which should have been a time to lament the end of 11 years in the top-flight (which many fought hard to maintain), instead we got Bradley Orr - a lower-league journeyman who'd only been at the club for two minutes - being another sock-puppet for Team Kean. He was in no position to speak about what's transpired at the club over the season and certainly should have had more sense to publicly hug Kean's nuts in spite of the paying public who were the ones really hurting the most.

As this thread is about Michael Appleton and not what happened at the Wigan game last season it might be worth getting back on topic.

So far, so good in my opinion. Appleton has a clear view of how to balance the team and who he needs for that purpose. He is also very transparent on who he needs to move on. For the first time in a while we have a manager who demonstrates logic in what he is doing. I also find it refreshing that he is willing to bring Bradley Orr back to the fold and give him another chance to prove himself - and not pander to a section of the fans who wanted Orr thrown out. Likewise shipping Rochina out (for me a show pony who didn't add to the team but detracted from it, for others a fantastic talent who will come good in the future) to deal with today's needs. He has also been quick to reshape the backroom staff and it is Team Appy now.

All this has been done without the Owners putting a block up so he seems to have their confidence and whilst fans might not like them that support is critical for Appleton to have a chance. That support will hopefully be further demonstrated by more loan signings in the next couple of weeks. Shrewd loan business is critical in the Championship and Appleton has solid experience in this league.

It's even more comforting to hear the crowd chanting his name with gusto as opposed to a tame rendition of a traditional chant.

Like I said - so far, so good ...... and let's hope it continues.

The biggest insult is that in the aftermath of relegation which should have been a time to lament the end of 11 years in the top-flight (which many fought hard to maintain), instead we got Bradley Orr - a lower-league journeyman who'd only been at the club for two minutes - being another sock-puppet for Team Kean. He was in no position to speak about what's transpired at the club over the season and certainly should have had more sense to publicly hug Kean's nuts in spite of the paying public who were the ones really hurting the most.

Yes he should have had more sense. However, i'm not sure that comes naturally to Orr.

I don't think he has the intelligence to have come out and made a veiled insult aimed at the fans. I think he was probably the only one willing to do an interview. Most were probably on the phone to their agents! What he said was misguided but i never felt it was malicious. He would have been wise to release a statement in the aftermath to clear things up. But the fact is it should have been our 'manager' coming out to apologise. Although it was no surprise he opted out. Spineless weasel to the end.

He said sometimes the line is crossed but with individuals it was. People running on the pitch, people threatening a man and a chicken being released onto the pitch during an important game.

Most of this was the Wigan game, and was the culmination of 18 months of pent up frustration pouring out.

Orr should have kept his trap shut, not sided with the most hated manager in the club's recent history. He nailed his colours to the mast that night and must expect the reaction from the fans.

Maybe he can do a job for us but I wouldn't like the guy if he got the winner against the dingles.

• Backroom

Now I don't understand at all, the transfer window is over isn't it? How are we legally going to bring 4 more players?

Now I know why I struggle reading your posts without a look of bewilderment.

Archived