SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ? After its too late.

So what sort of competitive advantage is this guy going to bring to the team, so that they can push on for promotion.

I simply meant don't make your mind up before he signs and we've seen how he's utilised and how he fits into the team. I didn't say people can't have preconceptions, but simply saying he's a poor Andrews before he's played for us seems premature as everything is relative in football. Look at Torres for Liverpool and Torres for Chelsea.

Appleton clearly feels he can bring something to the promotion push so therefore if he signs we shall see. It may not be a good signing, it may be a good signing. We shall see.

So no one can make any informed judgement about a player until they've played a few games for us?

I'm glad you're not a Rovers scout.

Or maybe you are? :unsure:

I'm saying people shouldn't close their mind off to the possibility that a player might do well for us when we don't expect and a player might be poor for us even though they come in hyped. Also a player may perform as expected.

Williamson is 30 years old and has played at League One or lower for the last 14 years.

Samba was 23 when we signed him and one of the last remaining hidden gems out there. (Even the Admiral was only 26).

Even so, if you ignore the age difference, Samba is the exception that proves the rule, surely Ricky. For every Samba, there are 100 Lee Williamsons.

I'm entitled to be sceptical.

You have misunderstood this phrase.

An example of the rule that proves the rule is as follows: The swimming baths are closed on Sundays. This statement tells you that the swimming baths is open Monday to Saturday by telling you the exception to the rule - that it is closed on Sundays. I hope this clears things up for you.

Williamson will bring nothing to our side. An injury prone 30 yr old is not building for the future as someone previously alluded,.

Conjecture.

I understand your concerns, but it would be wiser to put them forward as concerns, rather than fact.

Interesting, how was he mis used by Sam and the bafoon?

As I recall he was primarily used as a centre midfield player, at least he was by Sam, that's his natural position is it not?

He was mainly played out wide or on the rare occasions he played in the centre the only time he saw the ball was when it was flying over his head, he is an attack minded footballing centre midfielder.

Do we even know Appleton knows what would make a good promotion side? ;)

No, but that doesn't mean we should write him off. Same applies with manager as well as players. He's on his way to building up some respect with the fans already though.

Do we even know Appleton knows what would make a good promotion side? ;)

Do we know he doesn't?

I'm sure Darren Moore will have a fair idea, he's played in enough promoted teams.

Though to be honest I'm sure Appleton is realistic enough to know inside that our chances are incredibly slim now regardless of who comes in, after the 1st half of the season was wasted due too outrageous Idiocy of the field.

Do we know he doesn't?

I'm sure Darren Moore will have a fair idea, he's played in enough promoted teams.

Though to be honest I'm sure Appleton is realistic enough to know inside that our chances are incredibly slim now regardless of who comes in, after the 1st half of the season was wasted due too outrageous Idiocy of the field.

Agree with this, still not overly convinced about the surroundings of his appointment, but since then think he's conducted himself well, seems a very down to earth bloke and dare I say it honest , which makes a nice change.

Seems to be aware of what's needed now he's actually been inside the circus for a few weeks, if we finish just outside the play offs then i personally think he's done well and bodes well for next season providing there's funding available. If he makes the play offs - incredible job and if we go up - well a knighthood ? :)

He was mainly played out wide or on the rare occasions he played in the centre the only time he saw the ball was when it was flying over his head, he is an attack minded footballing centre midfielder.

Attack minded footballing centre midfielder, hmm, not really. Each to their own though.

My recollection was he was mainly used at centre mid by Sam, occasionally deployed (effectively for once) at right back.

Can't say much about when Kean had him, gave up at that point.

Always felt he was utter pap, but that argument has been done to death now.

You have misunderstood this phrase.

An example of the rule that proves the rule is as follows: The swimming baths are closed on Sundays. This statement tells you that the swimming baths is open Monday to Saturday by telling you the exception to the rule - that it is closed on Sundays. I hope this clears things up for you.

No worries, I take your resorting to pedantry, given that it's an oft used colloquialism, as proof you've just lost the argument.

Happy to point that out to you. :tu:

To plan for the future and get him in before somebody else snaps him up. There may be a gentleman's agreement that we will conclude the deal soon after other business, maybe he has some personal issues to sort out before signing, maybe there's another logical reason as to why he isn't signing as we speak. And maybe he isn't far off fitness, we don't know.

I'm under the impression that Appleton is thinking long term with us and I'm happy about this.

We're planning for the future with a player on a free and worried that another club might "snap him up"?

Bit of hyperbole here?

No worries, I take your resorting to pedantry, given that it's an oft used colloquialism, as proof you've just lost the argument.

Happy to point that out to you. :tu:

You have a low bar when it comes to proof. I answered what you said to me within the same post. The thing I corrected you on was something you had said to someone else and so I left the specifics. You can believe you have won the argument if you wish, though.

Attack minded footballing centre midfielder, hmm, not really. Each to their own though.

My recollection was he was mainly used at centre mid by Sam, occasionally deployed (effectively for once) at right back.

Can't say much about when Kean had him, gave up at that point.

Always felt he was utter pap, but that argument has been done to death now.

Andrews just won Irish international player of the year. Scary thought that.

I honestly can't remember a time when Andrews played on the wing.

Im pretty sure(though you are making me question my sanity!) he was mostly played as a wide midfielder(not a winger) under Allardyce(in Allardyces genius! 433/451 system), Kean never really gave him a look in, Kean moved him on(loaned out initially) because he thought it would get him in the good books with the fans at the time.

He was an awful player, all he did was stand there and point.

could say the same about Murphy most of the time.

Archived