BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before anyone moans at loans, have a look at how Stoke and more recently Norwich went up. Practically built on loan deals!

Not saying we'll go up, but in terms of building a side to go up in future, it could be the way to go.

Exactly. It's how teams operate in this division.

And anyway, the option will be there to sign our loan players permanently if we wish. Try before you buy is never a bad thing.

I thought you were coming round a bit den?

I'm trying Tony.

Problem for me is that I was so very, very lucky to have seen rovers from the days of the early sixties. You'll remember that brilliant attacking side we had then. As a young lad I was simply awe struck with anything to do with rovers. Followed them from there, through all the bad times and the good - eventually to us being PL Champions. What's happened to the club during the last two years, to what's still happening today leaves me wondering whether I really want to go through the lower leagues again, or whether I should just leave it there and remember the good times. I'm trying hard Tony, but it isn't easy watching this from the sidelines. I know many people have said it, but it isn't the same now and I'm sure you would feel the same way if you were over here.

Yes den, Tyrone, I can't stand Venkys as much as the next man, unless he's a plant of course.

However, just what were you expecting? Sydney Opera House? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?

We're owned by clowns of the highest order, have a Global Advisor (ha ha ha ha etc) who sees fit to make a dick of himself and the club every time he speaks, we're unable to complete deadline day signings for reasons unknown and are currently mid table. We've had 5 (five) different managers this season.

Yet, they still pay top dollar to attract the likes of Campbell. Be honest guys, he'd get in most teams squad in this division.

Hope Williamson can at least add some bite and competitiveness to midfield if and when called upon. I hope we can tie up the loan of Jerome Thomas now, he would be a quality player at this level. WBA have released a statement saying Odemwingie will return to first team training so hopefully we can push this deal through now!

should be end of next week, he's got flu. It'll also gives Odemwingie time to settle

Yes den, Tyrone, I can't stand Venkys as much as the next man, unless he's a plant of course.

However, just what were you expecting? Sydney Opera House? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?

We're owned by clowns of the highest order, have a Global Advisor (ha ha ha ha etc) who sees fit to make a dick of himself and the club every time he speaks, we're unable to complete deadline day signings for reasons unknown and are currently mid table. We've had 5 (five) different managers this season.

Yet, they still pay top dollar to attract the likes of Campbell. Be honest guys, he'd get in most teams squad in this division.

It did put things into perspective when Palace - going for promotion and with £15 million coming from Man Utd for Zaha - can only offer Kevin Phillips (free) and Stephen Dobbie (loan from Brighton) as new signings up front.

Campbell is about as good as it gets for a cheap signing at this level. 10 goals in 17 games as a hell of a ratio if he can keep it up.

I find it odd that people respond to signings with "it just shows how far we have fallen" as though this is some kind of revelation; the league table works just fine for me to show me where we are and why we are not signing Batty and Flowers.

Why do you find it odd? People look where we were - and see where we are now. That's quite a natural reaction methinks.

Football has gone mad.

Campbell is decent at this level but some £25k per week. Feckin hell, total madness.

Watched Watford / Palace - Williams and Zaha are two sort of players we need, players who can drive at defences with the ball.

Alan Mahon, Marcus Bent, An ageing Henning Berg, these are the type of players we should be signing. Players who can do a job in this division. Six Portugeezers who never get a game do us no favours whatsoever, nor does Grellas replacement Etuhu.

Still it's Venkys money isn't it? At least we're not in massive debt thanks to them. Or are we? Next we'll be forming a Trust or something, you know, just in case.

Anyway, lets hope Thomas comes in, I used to rate him, left wing though I seem to recall? Maybe both.

We've been crying out for wingers who graft and drop back in for two seasons, Morten does well but other than he Emerton was the last one (what a joke that was letting him leave like that. Sure, not the best but infinitely better for the team than the likes of Formica and Rochina and we've not replaced him since have we?).

Why buy an 8m striker and not build a team round him? 8m in this division! Good grief. Still it's Venk........ Etc

Football has gone mad.

Campbell is decent at this level but some £25k per week. Feckin hell, total madness.

Watched Watford / Palace - Williams and Zaha are two sort of players we need, players who can drive at defences with the ball.

It's really not.

I'm trying Tony.

Problem for me is that I was so very, very lucky to have seen rovers from the days of the early sixties. You'll remember that brilliant attacking side we had then. As a young lad I was simply awe struck with anything to do with rovers. Followed them from there, through all the bad times and the good - eventually to us being PL Champions. What's happened to the club during the last two years, to what's still happening today leaves me wondering whether I really want to go through the lower leagues again, or whether I should just leave it there and remember the good times. I'm trying hard Tony, but it isn't easy watching this from the sidelines. I know many people have said it, but it isn't the same now and I'm sure you would feel the same way if you were over here.

It's hard to argue with any of that den. Nevertheless, I don't think you can flush it out of your system. I reckon you're stuck with it!

As always I am the eternal optimist when a new manager walks through the door - you know, tend to see only the good bits! I've defended them all until it became totally indefensible!

For me, I know it's not the same, but it's still a little bit of home that I cherish; so I'll be plugged into the net at 1 am listening to Rovers Player as usual. COYB!

I'd argue and say that I'd watch them in any league because I'm here for the ups and the downs, as many downs as that is. But that's just me and it's not a slight on anybody else, especially those who have such a long history of support.

4 more players?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/10217717._/?

2 defenders and Bentley in?

Givet out on loan?

Maybe Gomes, Etuhu, Dunn, Nunes can leave as well?

Gomes probably has some interest for the Petro dollares nations...

Sounds like Dunn and Etuhu are in his plans.

Nuno Gomes, Goodwillie and Givet are the ones that can leave. I'd guess Nunes too if Appleton prefers Markus, Pedersen and King. Probably Henrique as he's not played under any manager yet.

Etuhu may be given a chance under Appleton, he will be very difficult to move on and if Appleton can get him to play effectively then he can still be an asset for the team. All the squad should start anew under the new manager and the fans have to accept his decisions.

What I respect is that Appleton will only have players in his team that will satisfy his plans.

Archived