BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich Town

I don't think there's any squeezing about it, they are always there. Lurking.

As is the next bit of bad news. Haven't you noticed how bipolar this place is? We can go from short periods of joy to wails of anguish, to anger. In the space of a few hours.

The next Venky-related madness is usually only around the corner.

But it does beg the question. If they continue to behave and we continue to do well on the pitch, will people forgive them?

I won't forgive them as long as I have breath in my body,

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any squeezing about it, they are always there. Lurking.

As is the next bit of bad news. Haven't you noticed how bipolar this place is? We can go from short periods of joy to wails of anguish, to anger. In the space of a few hours.

The next Venky-related madness is usually only around the corner.

But it does beg the question. If they continue to behave and we continue to do well on the pitch, will people forgive them?

Isn't "If" a very big word?!

I think that under Appleton, we'll continue to do well on the pitch. The big question is whether our owners have absorbed and learned from the lessons they've had since they bought us.

Still not really independent though are they?

Although I wish they were, then we wouldn't have to fork out the bill for their free education.

They were until 1715 when the Scottish Government of the day signed the documents of Union, having overcome the Jacobite rebellion.

I'm surprised that anybody who was there hasn't mentioned the poor state of the playing surface. Lots of the surface was bereft of grass and the really dry surface did not endear itself to any quick, sharp paced passing. We don't play at a high enough tempo for me anyway but the dry pitch certainly wasn't helpful.

I'm surprised that anybody who was there hasn't mentioned the poor state of the playing surface. Lots of the surface was bereft of grass and the really dry surface did not endear itself to any quick, sharp paced passing. We don't play at a high enough tempo for me anyway but the dry pitch certainly wasn't helpful.

You should have seen Bloomfield Road yesterday, more sand then the beach, the donkeys would have loved it!!

I had noticed that myself.

Paul and I were saying just the same yesterday. Worst I have seen it for some 20 + years.

I don't blame them one bit. They bought Blackpool when they were on the breadline and in a decrepit old Bloomfield Road and have improved it out of all recognition. Like squirrels storing nuts for the winter if owners can't take some money out of a club when it is in the Prem they will have absolutely no chance when they are out of it.

I think you will find it was the football trust that paid for much of the redevelopment at Bloomfield Rd.

Who decides the manof the match?

Only asking as I was gobsmacked when Hanley was announced. All he did was give the ball away.

He'd have got it last week too if Jordan hadn't got his brace.

I noticed the ref hasn't been mentioned, he gave us everything.

'The referees a wommer' :lol: Makes a change.

I think he won it for winning (and clearing) virtually every header that came his way.

Got to agree ... I thought he was immense (as he was last week). We had been discussing who would get the MOM and had come to the conclusion it would be Hanley long before it was announced.

Shocking he was given it, I was beginning to think him and Orr where playing for Ipswich.

Must say I was well happy to get a win given the occassion but my god how far have we fallen footballing wise. I'm still trying to get over it as Saturday was my first match since Kean took over.

I think Appleton knows the division and how to get results. Unfortunately, as a result, the football isn't great - we seem to be defending and hoping we have enough quality up front to get a goal. Up to now Appleton has been proved right - and invariably when we get a goal up the football improves - but the key is without doubt keeping a clean sheet.

I think he won it for winning (and clearing) virtually every header that came his way.

Great he won half the battle, there is little point in winning the header tackle etc to then conceed possesion.

Can't head, Won't head is how I would describe our CB's.

I think Appleton knows the division and how to get results. Unfortunately, as a result, the football isn't great - we seem to be defending and hoping we have enough quality up front to get a goal. Up to now Appleton has been proved right - and invariably when we get a goal up the football improves - but the key is without doubt keeping a clean sheet.

Stay compact, win the ball, get it forward and play from there. Our players are lazy, especially in possesion and we don't make best use of the players attributes. Olsson on the wing never once made a darting run out wide when we won the ball back. What good is his only talent, pace when he's not got the space to use it? I would like to see more intensity when we get the ball and to try and keep it, lobbing it forward just didn't work and we do it a lot. Olsson MKI never really got forward, whether tactical or lazyiness who knows, but that's what he's best at. Our CM is, well poor, can't play and so sloowwww. But the lack of movement doesn't help, but even then keep it moving fast, move them around and something will open up. We defended well as a unit, which was good to see and we look reasonably solid, so that's good. It will be interesting to see how we fair when playing quality in the FA cup and whether we can compete.

Have to admit I was surprised to hear Hanley get MOM, especially as in the first half I thought he'd got knives for boots, he sliced that many passes & clearances!

On the topic of the pitch, I noticed it was really poor compared to usual (not compared to Blackpool), & it seemed to cut up really badly with every sliding tackle. With the one that Martin Olsson made in the first half just in front of where I was in the BBE, it looked as though it'd just been ploughed!

Just watched the replay of our goal on sky website - I can't beleive how different it looks to my view & that of the replays on the big screen, Jordan definitely throws his left peg at it and it does look as if he prods it goalwards, so I'll let him off for claiming it, I'm a bit more convinced now.

The ref? can we have him every week please! Also, how fat was the linesman on the Riverside? It was like something from a Sunday league match! :o

All in all, not a great game but we looked far more organised & solid. Another 3 points so I've got to be happy overall.

Hanley can't head as a header should reach a team-mate. Dann won't head, and has a habit of jumping a tucking up.

No, a header is a header. He's there to head it clear and he does this for the vast majority. It's the rest of the team who need to scrap for seconds. I'm not claiming he is world class and there will be better defenders around who can find a man more regularly but he does a job and does it well at this level.

I take your point on Dann and he is hit and miss but he does win some headers.

Archived