BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich Town

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's not like he had been trying to force a move when the club was being run properly. Unless you believe Steve Kean."

Isn't this pretty much what happened every transfer window with Samba?? I'm sure we ended up throwing more and more money at him each window as he was linked with moves away.

I'm sure that's how I recall it but may be mistaken.

Special mention for both Hanley and Murphy today, who I thought both had really good games. The Olsson twins combination down the left for us continues to flourish as well, no team at this level seems to be able to handle them and that proved to be a prominent area for all our best moves in today's game. DJ Campbell looked very sharp when he came on and we looked a much greater attacking force with him on the pitch.

He paid us back for that initial faith ten times over. He was with us for years.

Have you forgotten that he signed a new contract when Venky's took over after they gave him their "vision of the future"? Remember, all that stuff about Champions Leage etc? He had every right to want out when he realised he had been lied to.

Of course he became more agitated after we offered Jones more money (if he stayed) than Samba was on. I don't blame him for wanting more money if it's available and he did a decent job for us for a number of years and we made a good profit on him.

All that said i think he is very much "doing a job" rather than being the sort of player that is genuinely in love with the game and/or whichever club happens to be employing him.

Of course just my opinion and i have no problem with your take on things either :tu:

A few wins and fewer whining merchant bankers on here and suddenly it's like the 60´s, peace and love man...

I suppose football is all about opinions - personally I just got sick of watching the Ipswich midfield waltz past him with barely a tackle.

He isn't supposed to be the 'tackler' in our midfield though, that should be Lowe. But erm, yea. Thought Murphy had a good game but sometimes he has very little to aim for. I'm not sure what some people want him to do. There was an occasion in the second half when he was looking for a pass and there was just nothing on, he gave it to DJ Campbell who passed it straight back, then Murphy found Ollson and kept possession. Fella near to me was shouting bloody crap Murphy, get him off. About five seconds later Dann had the ball and whacked it forward in the direction of noone and it went out for a throwing and the fella said it was unlucky and could've been a good pass!! Argh!

He isn't supposed to be the 'tackler' in our midfield though, that should be Lowe. But erm, yea. Thought Murphy had a good game but sometimes he has very little to aim for. I'm not sure what some people want him to do. There was an occasion in the second half when he was looking for a pass and there was just nothing on, he gave it to DJ Campbell who passed it straight back, then Murphy found Ollson and kept possession. Fella near to me was shouting bloody crap Murphy, get him off. About five seconds later Dann had the ball and whacked it forward in the direction of noone and it went out for a throwing and the fella said it was unlucky and could've been a good pass!! Argh!

:D

• Backroom

OK, well...

First half was the worst period of football I've ever had the mispleasure of seeing live. A turgid shitfest from both teams as they lumped the ball back to each other continuously with no desire to keep possession. By the end of the half I was praying for the ref to blow the whistle and end the torment. I supped my half time pint slowly and missed the first five minutes of the second half just to get over the soul-destroying Kean-esque first half performance.

Second half was a bit better. DJ Campbell's introduction really helped us push on. The goal was scrappy but there was never going to be any other type of goal in this game. Ipswich could and should have equalised right at the end, missing a header inches from the goal. N'Daw also had a chance about five minutes from time - a volley from outside the box which nearly crept in.

In terms of player performances... well, Grant Hanley getting man of the match baffled me a bit. He was slow and cumbersome, though he made up for it by getting back to tackle. MGP was anonymous, his only contribution to the game awful long throws (Lord how I hate those) and a crap free kick which went straight into the Ipswich wall. Taking him off for Campbell influenced the game in a very positive manner. Have to say even though I detest Orr I thought he played pretty well. CKR & Kean were OK. Murphy showed some good tenacity today, getting stuck in a few times and earning cheers from the crowd. Rhodes didn't have much to feed on, but did what he could with the scraps available. He should have done better with an effort near the end that would have put us 2-0 up after some great interplay with either Kaz or DJ, I forget which. I thought both Olssons had poor games. At one point in the first half Martin got skinned by Stearman which is just embarrassing for him. The renowned pace of the twins certainly didn't make itself noticeable here.

We really lacked creative spark. Appleton called it a "workmanlike" performance and that's about right. We're a very slow team, mentally the players don't play at a quick pace. Counter attacks fizzle out just as the crowd start to get excited, as the players don't seem to have the ability or understanding to play quick, incisive football. Everything is very slow in terms of build up. Luckily Ipswich were pretty much exactly the same, but have less quality than us.

A good three points, for sure, but I didn't see a team today that can realistically think about promotion this season. Too much improvement needed in a short space of time. Next season will be the true test of Appleton IMO.

very poor spectacle first half better 2nd half. one of our problems is the long ball. we play it to much with no real target man.

what worries me is the lack of cm we have. we are so weak in this area and definatly need some new recruits. forget thomas and bentley this is where we need players.. murphy is ok but cant play every match and if he got injured we are left with etuhu and lowe. lowe is tireless but awful on the ball and doesnt really make himself an option

we also looked better when peds went off. he really offers rovers very little these days and richards made a difference going forward on the right but hardley ever tracked back which left us exposed. hanley was brilliant yet again and dann was solid alongside him. the olsson twins played well and dj was lively.

overall the win was deserved narrowly but we look a much better unit under appleton than we have under anyone since sam left

• Backroom

DE do you not agree that Martin Olsson put in some superb crosses, as well as Murphy?

I thought our worst players were Markus Olsson, Pedersen and Lowe.I would like us to sign a new left back, then we could play a midfield of hopefully:

Bentley Williamson Murphy Martin Olsson.

Fair point, he did put in some decent crosses for a change. Murphy I already said had a good game.

I forgot about Lowe. He was awful.

Good 3 points today, shocking first half but we upped the tempo and intensity 2nd half and deserved the win.

I'd say 75 points will ensure a playoff place, 32 from 48 points available. Not beyond the realms of possibility but it will take some doing. A win on Tuesday and I may just start believing.

Its all about results now. Not bothered by performances. Only 10 points from 2nd, 16 games to go, Leon Best to come back, new rw to come in - we couldn't, could we?

If Rhodes is not credited with that goal then we'll just have to wait for another 7 games until he goes into the record books. Special talent.

I would not blame an outstanding professional of his ilk from wanting to get the hell away from Kean and Venky's when the penny dropped that they were not going to make good on promises. I would argue, in that sense, that they forced him out.

It's not like he had been trying to force a move when the club was being run properly. Unless you believe Steve Kean.

On the nail.

Archived