BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal in the 5th Round of the Cup *PLEASE DONT ASK FOR STREAMING LINKS!*

m1st

Spare room for Mercerman anyone?

Feckin glad I didn't do that !

You may have missed my post yesterday where I said that the spring like weather persuaded me to have a cheeky little flutter on a Rovers' win - last night was a very good night !

I am a great 'believer' in fate and instinct and saw this tweet so I have stuck £20 on Rovers to win FA Cup @ 80/1 !!!

Bolger at College @bolgeratcollege

stat of the day.. since 73 whenever the year ends in a 3 Arsenal have either won the FA Cup.. or been knocked out by the winners #BRFC

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Reflecting on the defeat by Michael Appleton's Blackburn, the Frenchman said: "I couldn't see how we could lose the game because we had a lot of the ball and they had one shot on goal.

Try 6 shots on goal and 3 on target, Arsene :rolleyes:

Guest Norbert

Pah, Wenger has always been an ungracious sourpuss when he loses, which is increasingly often. Hopefully Bayern Munich will humiliate them as well.

That was great but what about beating Crystal Palace 5-4 at Ewood; the early years of the Prem; Millenium stadium, Cardiff?

But, yes, I'm chuffed with today's result.

Yes, I know - all of those were great, but there was just something special about the Plymouth game. I think it was a combination of things: we'd been top but had a bit of a hiccup so had dropped to 2nd; the game was 2nd v. 1st; going 2 goals down then missing the penalty; then that second half when we got 4!!

The other thing was that, in those days, if it was a Cup weekend, "Match of the Day" was given over to the Cup even though the Beeb were committed to showing a few lower division games each season. Our game would have been ideal for that commitment if it hadn't been for the Cup so there was no way we could re-live the memories.

Feckin glad I didn't do that !

You may have missed my post yesterday where I said that the spring like weather persuaded me to have a cheeky little flutter on a Rovers' win - last night was a very good night !

I am a great 'believer' in fate and instinct and saw this tweet so I have stuck £20 on Rovers to win FA Cup @ 80/1 !!!

Bolger at College ‏@bolgeratcollege

stat of the day.. since 73 whenever the year ends in a 3 Arsenal have either won the FA Cup.. or been knocked out by the winners #BRFC

Haha, there's a statistic for you.

Was it fate that Sheffield Wednesday would get promoted this season, like Southampton did last season?

When Bentley replaced Marcus Ollson yesterday, we had 9 British born players on the field. I think this is great to see. Even the 2 overseas players in Pedersen and Martin Ollson have been at the club for years and probably speak better English than most.

I think we have to go back to the 94-95 championship winning team to see so many homegrown players in the lineup.

Interesting that when Rovers got beat by Arsenal 7-1 last season, there were only 4 Brits in the lineup. That team consisted of foreign journeymen like Modeste and Petrovic.

Personally I much prefer to see the team consisting of mainly homegrown players rather than a multitude of nationalities. I assume Appleton also believes in having mainly homegrown players; every player he has shipped out has been foreign and all bar one who have come in are English.

When Bentley replaced Marcus Ollson yesterday, we had 9 British born players on the field. I think this is great to see. Even the 2 overseas players in Pedersen and Martin Ollson have been at the club for years and probably speak better English than most.

I think we have to go back to the 94-95 championship winning team to see so many homegrown players in the lineup.

Interesting that when Rovers got beat by Arsenal 7-1 last season, there were only 4 Brits in the lineup. That team consisted of foreign journeymen like Modeste and Petrovic.

Personally I much prefer to see the team consisting of mainly homegrown players rather than a multitude of nationalities. I assume Appleton also believes in having mainly homegrown players; every player he has shipped out has been foreign and every one brought in has been English.

Interesting point. Let's see what happens in the future.

From what I saw yesterday we are a different team now. Our defence would have had Alan Hanson in raptures had the highlights been on BBC. We seem to be much more organized under Appleton and he seems to have injected some fighting spirit.

They are starting to remind me of the 79-80 Kendal side don't give anything away and Crawford will nick a goal. Hope it continues and we get a run like that side. Just glad we don't have to put 50 ton of sand on the pitch now.

Personally I much prefer to see the team consisting of mainly homegrown players rather than a multitude of nationalities. I assume Appleton also believes in having mainly homegrown players; every player he has shipped out has been foreign and all bar one who have come in are English.

Good observation that. I think it's by far the best approach to this division.

Although to be pedantic for a second - Rekik isn't English.

• Backroom

This is exactly the type of team you need in the Championship. A bunch of foreign fancy-dans won't do the business, as we've seen throughout the season so far.

Was nice to see Bentley back. I Think he can turn around his career with us for the better. Should never had left.

Goodwillie came on but did nothing.....

Williamsson was okay, worked hard but need more games.

I do hope we go for a win at Hull.

Now 6 games unbeaten and just let in 2 goals (yes two penalties)

I would like to see this team against Hull:

Kean

Orr, Dann, Hanley, Rekik

Bentley, Lowe, Williamsson or Murphy, Martin Olsson

Rhodes, Kazim

He made a nuisance of himself and did not go anywhere near our area. He did what he was put on to do I think, keep Arse mindful of a counter. Job done IMHO. I didn't think Bentley did anything but you say was nice to see him back, maybe I missed it but all I remember is the booing.

He made a nuisance of himself and did not go anywhere near our area. He did what he was put on to do I think, keep Arse mindful of a counter. Job done IMHO. I didn't think Bentley did anything but you say was nice to see him back, maybe I missed it but all I remember is the booing.

I was at the Emirates and Amex on tuesday, you can give Goodwillie stick for not getting up to much yesterday but quite frankly Jordan Rhodes was a passenger in both of those games. Of course he's still a great player but the point is that we could have had Van Persie up front yesterday and he would have struggled.

This is exactly the type of team you need in the Championship. A bunch of foreign fancy-dans won't do the business, as we've seen throughout the season so far.

Don't Watford have a bunch of them?

I was at the Emirates and Amex on tuesday, you can give Goodwillie stick for not getting up to much yesterday but quite frankly Jordan Rhodes was a passenger in both of those games. Of course he's still a great player but the point is that we could have had Van Persie up front yesterday and he would have struggled.

Err, I wasn't giving him stick.

Don't Watford have a bunch of them?

Yea a whole team-full. But have had a whole pre-season and season for the manager to gradually implement his style. From memory, they were mid-table, eventually made it into the playoffs, and are now challenging for automatic promotion. Swansea had similar players but Sousa and Martinez had started that philosophy in the lower leagues.

Next year, if we're still here, players of that ilk could prove very useful, like Taarabt proved, and Rochina in glimpses, but under Appleton, the best way to go has been making us hard to beat and using an 8 million pound striker to try and nick a goal.

Real managers sort the defence out first, then add things like flair at a later date.

still buzzing about yesterday amazing what a top performance from the team ,milwall away bring it on . its about time all rovers fans had something to buzz about life is sweet at the moment good to see on here too rovers fans getting up beat about our team may it contiue, hull here we come

I've just got round to seeing ITV's highlights show.

Southgate is an odball and gives me the creeps.

Peter Drury's commentary was terrific (as it usually is). It's astonishing that he's 3rd choice behind the t.it Tyldsley and the ....unspeakable word.... Sam Matterface.

Drury's a terrible commentator who desperately tries to coin as many retarded soundbites as possible.

Think the goodwillie sub was a good one, Rhodes had done a fair bit of work off the ball without success , not because of his inability but it was that kind of game, and fresh legs from somebody who puts himself about a bit physically was a great time wasting exercise as well as making Arsenal not throw all 10 men forward for the final few minutes. As long as goodwillie was instructed not to go anywhere near our box can see the reasoning behind it, just nice to have a manager who's tactics make sense

Think the goodwillie sub was a good one, Rhodes had done a fair bit of work off the ball without success , not because of his inability but it was that kind of game, and fresh legs from somebody who puts himself about a bit physically was a great time wasting exercise as well as making Arsenal not throw all 10 men forward for the final few minutes. As long as goodwillie was instructed not to go anywhere near our box can see the reasoning behind it

Gomes would be a better option for holding up play, but he's 36 and his legs ain't what they used to be. Appleton didn't have much choice, tbh.

Gomes would be a better option for holding up play, but he's 36 and his legs ain't what they used to be. Appleton didn't have much choice, tbh.

Agree not much choice , but a good decision by Appleton, think Goodwillie took one for the team a couple of minutes after coming on didn't he , booking and more time wasting. Might be giving Appleton too much credit, but what the hell liking what I've seen so far

Archived