BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

What did anyone see in yesterday's performance to think that Bowyer has the answers? Or does yesterday not count?

I saw nowt, and not only does he not seem to have the answers, I don't think he understands the questions.

A good youth team coah? Perhaps.

A first team manager? No way.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately it depends on who the choice is between. If they were lining up someone like Megson or Taylor I would much rather see Gary get the job. At least Gary is a Rovers man and someone who really cares about the club. He is a genuine guy and would work closely with the Academy in bringing young players through to the first team. With money likely to be increasingly tight we are not going to be able to solve our squad problems in the transfer market. Whoever becomes manager is going to have to work with young players and develop them.

I agree that not many players have been brought through to the senior team in recent years but the Academy and Reserve coaches can only develop them so far. There comes a point when they need to be given a chance in the first team. However, Premier League football was vital for the well being of the club and thus managers like Souness, Hughes and Allardyce, quite rightly opted to go with experience rather than risking younger players. As a result only one or two were given limited opportunities. However, now that Premier League football is unlikley to be seen anytime soon at Ewood Park there will be greater opportunities for the youngsters to be given a chance.

With regard to Saturday, I think some fingers ought to be pointed in the direction of the players. Whilst I agree that our squad has not been good enough from day one I didn't see many on Saturday, apart from the 'keeper, playing at a level which is acceptable.

What did anyone see in yesterday's performance to think that Bowyer has the answers? Or does yesterday not count?

The Watford game counts as much as the Derby and Huddersfield games.

the new owners will bring their own manager..why worry?

Just expressing my views on Bowyer because I just don't understand the 'Bowyer love-in' that there seems to be in many quarters.

We need a manager with passion and fire in his belly.

Souey had it, Sam had it, Di Canio has it.

But Kean, Black, Berg, Bowyer, Appleton, Bowyer again - what you see is what you get !!!

Just my personal opinion but I think Bowyer is very overrated as a football man

My personal view is that Bowyer is not the man to take us forward.

I find some of his selections and tactics baffling.

I might be wrong here but I seem to recall some questioning as to whether Bowyer was even the right man in our Academy a few years ago ?

He might well be a decent guy but so was Jim Iley !

I don't remember anyone critiquing Bowyers involvement with the academy care to expand?

The clamour for Bowyer reminds me of the clamour for Tony Parkes, ( a great servant of the club I hasten to add ).

When Parkes finally got the job full time it didn't really work out which is why Souness was brought in.

Not only would it amount to repeating the same mistake yet again, i.e. appointing another inexperienced manager, it would also allow madman Singh to indulge his fantasy of being a manager in all but name.

Does anyone really believe that Venkys will bring in anyone better than Gary? Indeed, does anyone still believe that any manager who has experience will be prepared to work under the directions of Shebby?

That's defeatism at it's best Parson. They certainly could bring in someone who would be a safer bet.

Ignoring this sentimental tripe about him being someone who cares or being a Rover as he has been at the club for some time can someone give me a reason or list of reasons why he should get the job?

Apart from being the cheap, less argumentative option (for the board) what else does he offer?

All I ever judge managers on is points per game. I literally couldn't give a monkeys about anything else and find many of the fuzzy arguments that do include other things frustrating. Berg got credit for his playing record - daft. Appleton got credit for looking like a no-nonsense manager - daft. If Bowyer is getting credit for being at the club for a while then thats daft to.

But the only reason I think has to be given in his favour is his current overall league record as Rovers manager is played 8 points 14.

Given what other managers have done with us this season, that still classes as a very good. When (or if) it changes into mediocre/bad, I'll be the first to join his critics.

Personally think Bowyer has done very well in hugely testing circumstances. We were on the slippery slope with Appleton and he had to go. Bowyer was the obvious and only short notice replacement. If he keeps this shower up after the run we were on then he has done brilliantly for the club.

For the same reasons many did not want Kean, Berg or Appleton, GB should not get the job going forward. We are a big club, with many troubles and it needs a proven manager to have any chance of being successful.

Ignoring this sentimental tripe about him being someone who cares or being a Rover as he has been at the club for some time can someone give me a reason or list of reasons why he should get the job?

Apart from being the cheap, less argumentative option (for the board) what else does he offer?

Nothing has was proved on Saturday an overpromoted coach out of his depth

Nothing has was proved on Saturday an overpromoted coach out of his depth

Ive read this a few times. When Wenger lost by 7 or 8 at Old Trafford, what did that prove? When Wigan conceded 9 at Spurs what did that say about the manager?

Saturday's result says everything about our yellow bellied players and little about Bowyer to me. Other than Arsenal and perhaps Peterborough they have been a total embarrassment away from home. Oh and Bolton wasn't too bad as we huffed and puffed.

That's defeatism at it's best Parson. They certainly could bring in someone who would be a safer bet.

So den, which manager do you think will come here and work under Shebby and take instructions from him? It's not defeatism it is the world in which the Rovers now find themselves. A global advisor who is an absolute joke is pulling the strings and will continue buying the players until he is removed.

So den, which manager do you think will come here and work under Shebby and take instructions from him? It's not defeatism it is the world in which the Rovers now find themselves. A global advisor who is an absolute joke is pulling the strings and will continue buying the players until he is removed.

Players have come here for money - that has been proved despite the chaos at the club. I'm sure it would be no different for some managers out there.

So den, which manager do you think will come here and work under Shebby and take instructions from him?

Who says that will definitely be the case though?

I completely believe Appleton's words that Shebby had no involvement whatsoever with his tenure. The fact that quite a few of Shebby's Portuguese lot were shifted out fully supports this. Plus, for all Appleton's faults as a manager, I don't think he is the sort to tell a lie like that.

I know it's possible that Shebby will want to stick his ore in, but it's not a given. I think a strong manager could convince Venky's to give him the same freedom offered to Appleton.

I completely believe Appleton's words that Shebby had no involvement whatsoever with his tenure. The fact that quite a few of Shebby's Portuguese lot were shifted out fully supports this. Plus, for all Appleton's faults as a manager, I don't think he is the sort to tell a lie like that.

I know it's possible that Shebby will want to stick his ore in, but it's not a given. I think a strong manager could convince Venky's to give him the same freedom offered to Appleton.

But that was when the pendulum was swinging in favour of Shagnew. Looks like it's Shebby's turn to find Rovers Next Flop Manager.

But that was when the pendulum was swinging in favour of Shagnew. Looks like it's Shebby's turn to find Rovers Next Flop Manager.

Yeah there is always that.

Looking at those leaked emails, my guess is the Shaw will be gone (along with Karen Silk) and there will be some restructuring there. So a new manager reporting into a new MD.

I guess it's whether there is a pendulum in motion or whether Shebby has been crossed off as a plan tried and failed. I'm hoping it's a matter of crossing off a list, with Shagnew the latest to go, rather than power swinging between two sides.

• Backroom

Ive read this a few times. When Wenger lost by 7 or 8 at Old Trafford, what did that prove? When Wigan conceded 9 at Spurs what did that say about the manager?

Saturday's result says everything about our yellow bellied players and little about Bowyer to me. Other than Arsenal and perhaps Peterborough they have been a total embarrassment away from home. Oh and Bolton wasn't too bad as we huffed and puffed.

You are right that one game does not prove everything about a manager.

But, the Bowyer love-in does seem to absolve him from getting any blame for tactics and team set up.

We were playing away from home (with our record) against the team that has scored the most amount of goals in the whole division, and what do we do? - we go 442 (i.e 2 strikers on the pitch before anyone argues). Absolute madness. I think due to Watford's patchy recent form, Bowyer saw his name in lights and figured chuck the kitchen sink at it and one more win would probably have meant safety and he would have been the hero.

Very naive in my view. Whether some like the style or not, the way forward was a cagey Sam Allardyce 451, hope to nick one on the break or from a set-piece and probably aim for a draw at best. It's not pretty, but needs must at this stage in the season, and the future of this football club is in the balance.

Sorry, but IMO, Bowyer blew it as much as the players on Sat. This is not just to knock him, he seems a decent bloke and is doing his best in poor circumstances, but regardless, he is still their to be judged.

Tomorrow night against Millwall is a massive test of his abilities. I won't even pretend that I know what we should be doing - should we go all out for that final win which should mean safety, or should we play it more safely, try and get another point on the board and look towards the home game against Palace? But I shouldn't know this, I am just a fan, not a professional with decades of experience in the industry.

Bowyer is one of those professionals with experience though, so I know one thing, regardless of how we set up tomorrow and how attacking we are, if we continue to lump high balls towards the box in a clearly flawed tactic for the 4th game running against these lot, then all questions about Gary Bowyer will have been answered for me.

And look what happened to Appleton LeChuck. Until Shebby is removed completely he will always be looking for ways to have an influence over the football side of things. In the summer all the players who were shifted out on loan will return to the welcoming arms of Shebby.

You are right that one game does not prove everything about a manager.

But, the Bowyer love-in does seem to absolve him from getting any blame for tactics and team set up.

We were playing away from home (with our record) against the team that has scored the most amount of goals in the whole division, and what do we do? - we go 442 (i.e 2 strikers on the pitch before anyone argues). Absolute madness. I think due to Watford's patchy recent form, Bowyer saw his name in lights and figured chuck the kitchen sink at it and one more win would probably have meant safety and he would have been the hero.

Very naive in my view. Whether some like the style or not, the way forward was a cagey Sam Allardyce 451, hope to nick one on the break or from a set-piece and probably aim for a draw at best. It's not pretty, but needs must at this stage in the season, and the future of this football club is in the balance.

Sorry, but IMO, Bowyer blew it as much as the players on Sat. This is not just to knock him, he seems a decent bloke and is doing his best in poor circumstances, but regardless, he is still their to be judged.

Tomorrow night against Millwall is a massive test of his abilities. I won't even pretend that I know what we should be doing - should we go all out for that final win which should mean safety, or should we play it more safely, try and get another point on the board and look towards the home game against Palace? But I shouldn't know this, I am just a fan, not a professional with decades of experience in the industry.

Bowyer is one of those professionals with experience though, so I know one thing, regardless of how we set up tomorrow and how attacking we are, if we continue to lump high balls towards the box in a clearly flawed tactic for the 4th game running against these lot, then all questions about Gary Bowyer will have been answered for me.

Good reply Silas.

Agree totally about 4.4.2 and have said so all year. Agree we should have parked the bus and tried to nick a win or draw. Protecting our goal difference was also vital.

I still believe however if Bowyer keeps us up he will have done very well. Our form under Appleton was taking us down.

Conceding 4 in the 2nd half tells you all you need to know about our players, in terms of quality, professionalism, pride and heart and for that reason alone I'm prepared to cut Bowyer some slack. He must also feel like its a losing battle

Archived