BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

• Backroom

Well this spell, he's won 3 in 7. In ALL games, his win %age is 54.5. As I've said elsewhere; while I'd prefer experience, I just don't trust Venky's to do it and would rather the devil I know. And before it gets brought up:

No, Kean wasn't the devil we knew.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't trust Venkys to get a managerial appointment right either.

But Bowyer is inexperienced, and as permanent manager would have a lot less goodwill from the players. On top of that he seems far too malleable to Agnew and Singh's games, which is not good at all. Another window of Singh choosing the transfer targets could speed up our demise big time. Not the independent sort that we need whatsoever.

• Backroom

For me, I think we have to look at his results in sequence. Players were failing under berg and he pulled out 3 wins in 4, unbeaten. Under Appleton, the players were failing. After 3 disappointing games, Bowyer has again turned it around.

If the options are all inexperienced (as they likely will be under Venkys/Singh) then I'd rather have Bowyer.

Also where have the 'malleable to Singh/Agnews games' come from? Because he went to india once? We can only go off his results, which have been phenomenal in the circumstances and with players not chosen by him!

For me, I think we have to look at his results in sequence. Players were failing under berg and he pulled out 3 wins in 4, unbeaten. Under Appleton, the players were failing. After 3 disappointing games, Bowyer has again turned it around.

If the options are all inexperienced (as they likely will be under Venkys/Singh) then I'd rather have Bowyer.

Also where have the 'malleable to Singh/Agnews games' come from? Because he went to india once? We can only go off his results, which have been phenomenal in the circumstances and with players not chosen by him!

I agree in principle with your sentiments DM, Bowyer's short term achievements have been remarkable but surely an experienced manager is what's required with GB part of the set up.

That's no disrespect to Bowyer but we haven't had much success historically in converting coaches to become successful managers. It's a totally different skill set as you're no doubt aware. Think Harford, Kidd, coco and add rookie managers, still cutting their teeth, in Ince, Berg, Appleton to the list. Without doubt the club needs someone with experience and credibility IMO, next season could be last chance saloon.

Whether we could attract someone of that elk with the 3 Stooges still at the club, I very much doubt it. Therein lies the problem.

Well done Gary Bowyer. Brilliant. And I mean brilliant as well. We were going down under Appleton simple as that and to get 9 from the last 12 and totally reverse our form is quite an achievement. Credit where it is due.

Longer term? His record alone is turning him into a genuine contender and as others have said, if we are to end up with someone inexperienced anyway, then why not someone from within who has the club at heart and knows it back to front.

Credit for now where it is due. Well done GB.

[quote name="onlyonejackwalker" post="1407243" timestamp="1366804037")

Longer term? His record alone is turning him into a genuine contender and as others have said, if we are to end up with someone inexperienced anyway, then why not someone from within who has the club at heart and knows it back to front..

Because that isn't enough? Bowyer has done well, but we need someone to stand up to Venky's and we need someone to rebuild the squad - and it needs to be done next season. We don't have the time for more gambling. The parachute payments are about to run out.

I hope we don't make any rash decisions. Gary Bowyer has to be up there with a great chance, but we should let the managerial merry-go-round begin and see who becomes available in the summer before we decide anything.

If it becomes apparent that the right experienced managers aren't available/won't consider us, then we should definitely go with GB ahead of another Kean/Berg/Appleton risk.

Because that isn't enough? Bowyer has done well, but we need someone to stand up to Venky's and we need someone to rebuild the squad - and it needs to be done next season. We don't have the time for more gambling. The parachute payments are about to run out.

Correct we need an experienceed manager left to his own devices without any input from shabby

I hope we don't make any rash decisions. Gary Bowyer has to be up there with a great chance, but we should let the managerial merry-go-round begin and see who becomes available in the summer before we decide anything.

If it becomes apparent that the right experienced managers aren't available/won't consider us, then we should definitely go with GB ahead of another Kean/Berg/Appleton risk.

I somewhat agree with this.

lets wait to see what happens at the end of the season with other managers.

but defo cant see Hughes, O'Neill or RDM coming here for see.

Bowyer has done well so far and would be back him if he become permanent manager in summer.

but whoever is the manager is next season has to be allow to do it their way. no interfere from Shebby.

but also what budget will the manager have and will players on big wages have to leave. plus will Rhodes be sold to fund transfers next season?

I somewhat agree with this.

lets wait to see what happens at the end of the season with other managers.

but defo cant see Hughes, O'Neill or RDM coming here for see.

Bowyer has done well so far and would be back him if he become permanent manager in summer.

but whoever is the manager is next season has to be allow to do it their way. no interfere from Shebby.

but also what budget will the manager have and will players on big wages have to leave. plus will Rhodes be sold to fund transfers next season?

Hughes' stock has fallen massively. He won't get another prem job for a while. He'll have to drop down to the championship to prove himself again. Schuster would come here - get him in!

We've had so many managers that the players didnt perform for - now we have one that they do seem to perform for. Wouldn't it make sense to keep it that way?

I think the big thing is that a manager will mainly live and die by his signings. For example, I think we've seen since Rovers that Hughes was no tactical genius, he just signed a bunch of very good players.

On that front we still have no idea about Bowyer so I'd like it if we could get a proven manager. Also, recent history is littered with caretakers going on good runs over a short period then failing in the long term. Not saying GB would definitely do that, but it'd be foolish not to take that history into consideration.

I don't want this to sound like I'm against Bowyer at all because he's right up there in my personal favourites for the job, I just think he still represents a risk that more proven managers wouldn't (a Mick McCarthy type for example).

I think the big thing is that a manager will mainly live and die by his signings. For example, I think we've seen since Rovers that Hughes was no tactical genius, he just signed a bunch of very good players.

On that front we still have no idea about Bowyer so I'd like it if we could get a proven manager. Also, recent history is littered with caretakers going on good runs over a short period then failing in the long term. Not saying GB would definitely do that, but it'd be foolish not to take that history into consideration.

I don't want this to sound like I'm against Bowyer at all because he's right up there in my personal favourites for the job, I just think he still represents a risk that more proven managers wouldn't (a Mick McCarthy type for example).

We have a match analysis departement, expand it. bring in a few extra's to start watching and analysising all the matches they can to build a database of what players are strong at etc etc. Yes it will take time but just look at how it's worked at Everton? Add objectivness to subjectiveness especially when your dealing with the finacial amounts football clubs do. 2 people to save you millions in fees.

We have a match analysis departement, expand it. bring in a few extra's to start watching and analysising all the matches they can to build a database of what players are strong at etc etc.

Just buy a copy of Football Manager, save even more money. :)

• Backroom

Why would Venky's hire a manager who's going to stand up to them?

Guest Norbert

Now, if Shuster is affordable, and is really interested, how about him with Bowyer as assistant? Bowyer will still be heavily involved in the 1st team, but we'll have added experience.

That is of course assuming Shebby will eff off and leave them to it, and Venky's will make a sensible decision. So expect Shebby to be the de facto D of F with Keith Harris and Orville as joint managers.

Now, if Shuster is affordable, and is really interested, how about him with Bowyer as assistant? Bowyer will still be heavily involved in the 1st team, but we'll have added experience.

That is of course assuming Shebby will eff off and leave them to it, and Venky's will make a sensible decision. So expect Shebby to be the de facto D of F with Keith Harris and Orville as joint managers.

Orville would make a better D of F than Shebby, even without the aid of Keith Harris.

Well done Gary Bowyer. Brilliant. And I mean brilliant as well. We were going down under Appleton simple as that and to get 9 from the last 12 and totally reverse our form is quite an achievement. Credit where it is due.

Longer term? His record alone is turning him into a genuine contender and as others have said, if we are to end up with someone inexperienced anyway, then why not someone from within who has the club at heart and knows it back to front.

Credit for now where it is due. Well done GB.

Nail. On. Head.

Nailed on now that Bowyer will get the job, cheap and already getting results.

Sadly he's not the man for the job, has already fallen under the venky spell and will offer nothing after 10 games next season.

I take nothing away from the job he's done though, nothing but respect for the guy.....until he signs on as manager and sells his soul to the devil.

Venkys out

Singh out

Agnew out

I actually do agree - I would like to see who becomes available in the Summer. If there's a McCarthy type to be had I would be for that.

Archived