BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes- exit clause in contract

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter if we are predictable if Rhodes can still bag 20 odd goals in a season.

Correct Roost..... and we could all look forward to an annual relegation scrap trawling around at the bottom of the division........ until we inevitably lost one! :(

The ball here is in Rhodes court. He is a natural goalscorer that is indisputable but he is a million miles away from being a complete striker. He has the God given ability to beat the keeper without a doubt, it's the ability that can't be coached. The bit that is woefully weak in his game CAN be improved with simple hard work and coaching. He'll never be a Shearer that is for certain but he can quite easily become a much better centre forward.

btw when he does he wont stick around here for long.... just like when Dean Saunders taught Duff to shoot rather than look for teammates when openings occurred. Duff started scoring 6 months before Duff left.

That might well work but then half our fans would be complaining about the constant long ball. There is only one way to make use of Davies strengths.

Most of that half stopped going when we were relegated!

I'd rather tap dance on a mine field than have to put up with watching that fat sh1thouse at Ewood again.

That fat sh1thouse turned into a mighty player under a proper manager who used him properly and built his confidence. Kevin Davies must have been superb to play alongside. I'd wager he has the respect of most of the centre halves he played against. I personally believe that England could have won or come very close to either the World or European title if he had been played ahead of Michael Owen. Owen was the international equivalent of Jordan Rhodes.

Was just looking through Rhodes stats on http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/98136/jordan-rhodes?cc=5739 . Championship stats are awesome, better ratio than a goal in every two and a shot to goal ratio better than 1 in 3. Can't believe anybody would think we would be better off without him.

Thats cos some put watching a match before reading useless stats as a measure of a player.

I don't really know what more you would want from him, he has somehow scored all these goals when the service has been terrible. He could hold the ball up better yes but that's not really his game, I'd say we would be far more wiser to build a team around him i.e some width drilling balls into his head and feet facing goal rather than trying to improve his skill of controlling balls to his chin.

Better not give up your day job to manage a football team cesus! ;)

...... then again what am I saying? 2.25 million for a few weeks work and feet up for the rest of your life ..... Football management the only position where failure and incompetence is rewarded better than success. You'd do well! :tu:

That statement Theno is a contradiction. Someone who wanted Allardyce and percentage football which is just the law of statistics and averages. Then when stats show how good Rhodes is as a clinical finisher, you say you prefer to watch football rather than statistics.

theno said

"That fat sh1thouse turned into a mighty player under a proper manager who used him properly and built his confidence. Kevin Davies must have been superb to play alongside. I'd wager he has the respect of most of the centre halves he played against. I personally believe that England could have won or come very close to either the World or European title if he had been played ahead of Michael Owen. Owen was the international equivalent of Jordan Rhodes."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Correct Roost..... and we could all look forward to an annual relegation scrap trawling around at the bottom of the division........ until we inevitably lost one! :(

We weren't in a relegation scrap because of Rhodes. We lost nearly every game in midfield this season.

........ you say you prefer to watch football rather than statistics.

I do BUT I didn't actually say that. Read it again rr, and especially the last few words.

theno said

"That fat sh1thouse turned into a mighty player under a proper manager who used him properly and built his confidence. Kevin Davies must have been superb to play alongside. I'd wager he has the respect of most of the centre halves he played against. I personally believe that England could have won or come very close to either the World or European title if he had been played ahead of Michael Owen. Owen was the international equivalent of Jordan Rhodes."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just so love a well thought out reply. I also know now never to expect one from you.

:wstu::wstu: :wstu: :wstu::wstu::wstu::wstu::wstu::wstu:

There I assume that suits your intellect better.

btw I know the boards been screwed up after the last 'upgrade' but you really need to learn how to use the quote facility. Would you like me to explain? I cant do it with emoticons but I'll write in big letters if that helps you understand.

You would! :lol:

That's like swapping your brain because you need a heart.

How many games has Rhodes played in the Prem? How many goals has he scored? Has he ever figured for England or even been considered? Jordan Rhodes can't play against Danny Shittu ffs! How's he going to fare against top international centre halves. There are way too many question marks for you to come out with a glib comment like that Stuart.

• Moderation Lead

The ball here is in Rhodes court. He is a natural goalscorer that is indisputable but he is a million miles away from being a complete striker. He has the God given ability to beat the keeper without a doubt, it's the ability that can't be coached. The bit that is woefully weak in his game CAN be improved with simple hard work and coaching. He'll never be a Shearer that is for certain but he can quite easily become a much better centre forward.

btw when he does he wont stick around here for long.... just like when Dean Saunders taught Duff to shoot rather than look for teammates when openings occurred. Duff started scoring 6 months before Duff left.

Most of that half stopped going when we were relegated!

That fat sh1thouse turned into a mighty player under a proper manager who used him properly and built his confidence. Kevin Davies must have been superb to play alongside. I'd wager he has the respect of most of the centre halves he played against. I personally believe that England could have won or come very close to either the World or European title if he had been played ahead of Michael Owen. Owen was the international equivalent of Jordan Rhodes.

I wouldn't say a mighty player, Allardyce certainly got the best out of him after he flopped so spectacularly here.

You criticise other posters for not agreeing with you, but it's obvious people are clutching at straws when they criticise strikers for being goalscorers....Rhodes is limited outside of goalscoring, but this can easily be worked on via coaching.

I wouldn't say a mighty player, Allardyce certainly got the best out of him after he flopped so spectacularly here.

You criticise other posters for not agreeing with you, but it's obvious people are clutching at straws when they criticise strikers for being goalscorers....Rhodes is limited outside of goalscoring, but this can easily be worked on via coaching.

I think you need to read it a bit slower K-Hod. That is exactly what I did say.

I don't want to be disparaging to JR cos he has had a number of managers this season, but to date I haven't noticed much improvement to the weaker part of his game.

• Moderation Lead

I don't want to be disparaging to JR cos he has had a number of managers this season, but to date I haven't noticed much improvement to the weaker part of his game.

Ah right, fair one- it is morning!!

Give him some stability, beef the lad up and get hm working on all other aspects of his game and IMO he'll be a good striker for years to come. He certainly has time on his side!!

• Backroom

It'd help if he had some decent players around him, I imagine.

It'd help if he had some decent players around him, I imagine.

It would DE. There is room for the team us to adapt to suit him but it is much more preferable for him to adapt to the team and not the other way around. The danger of setting up a team just to suit one player is dangerous should that player get injured or move away, both of which are not remote possibilities.

• Backroom

I'm not sure you can adapt to having the likes of Murphy, Lowe, Marcus Ollson, Josh King, etc behind you. As a player you can only do so much. He seemed to link up quite well with Dunny and sometimes has decent interlink with CKR alongside him, but these are essentially the only good attacking players we have and both are struggling with fitness, Dunny on a regular basis.

We'll see how well Rhodes can adapt his game either when we give him half-decent players to work with, or he moves to another team (probably the latter). Until then we'll have to make do with him creating chances for himself, because there's no way his team mates are going to do it for him even if he does bring them into the game.

Rhodes is the player in our team with the most quality. At this level he is fantastic.

By isolating Rhodes, it suggests he is the problem - I.e. bigger than the team. But you need to have another 3 or 4 players who are as good.

We aren't where we are because of Rhodes, that's because we have been leaderless at just about every level.

He's one off the golden boot despite living off scraps. He could have walked that award if we had had a few leaders bringing the rest of them to task.

Imagine even if Rhodes had Davies next to him...

How many games has Rhodes played in the Prem? How many goals has he scored? Has he ever figured for England or even been considered? Jordan Rhodes can't play against Danny Shittu ffs! How's he going to fare against top international centre halves. There are way too many question marks for you to come out with a glib comment like that Stuart.

What a crock of @#/?, talk about picking things to aid your own views. I added statistics to back up that I felt Rhodes had scored a marvellous amount of goals compared to the chances he'd been given during the 30+ live games I've seen. You talk about Premiership goals when he hasn't even kicked a ball in the premiership, how can anybody argue with his premiership output when it hasn't even happened. Not many people would out muscle Shittu or beat him in the air, we played a ridiculous game against him and hanleys run proved it. Oh and by the way as a Scotland international he may struggle to force his way into the England set up!!

I don't really like to slag off England on here (unless I've had a drink), but what do you expect me to say when I read things like this.

Kevin Davies would have made you challenge for an international tournament? He was half the player of Heskey who got a game for about 10 years.

• Backroom

Yep. Even if Rhodes did hold the ball up as well as people on here wanted, he'd have nobody worthwhile to give it to.

To talk about Rhodes deficiencies ignores the bigger picture entirely - that the rest of the team is nowhere near good enough. Sure, we could replace Rhodes with a Davies-type figure, but then we'd probably go down as he wouldn't score as many as Rhodes and the rest of the team wouldn't compensate.

What a crock of @#/?, talk about picking things to aid your own views. I added statistics to back up that I felt Rhodes had scored a marvellous amount of goals compared to the chances he'd been given during the 30+ live games I've seen. You talk about Premiership goals when he hasn't even kicked a ball in the premiership, how can anybody argue with his premiership output when it hasn't even happened. Not many people would out muscle Shittu or beat him in the air, we played a ridiculous game against him and hanleys run proved it. Oh and by the way as a Scotland international he may struggle to force his way into the England set up!!

ooops... quite right cesus. :blush:

Point I was making was to Stuart who wouldn't swap Rhodes for Davies if they were the same age. The fact that he hasn't proved himself in the Prem is why I would prefer the talents of Davies.

ooops... quite right cesus. :blush:

Point I was making was to Stuart who wouldn't swap Rhodes for Davies if they were the same age. The fact that he hasn't proved himself in the Prem is why I would prefer the talents of Davies.

We aren't in the Prem...

Goal for Rhodes, btw. Number 30 of the season. :)

EDIT: and we've been @#/? (again) today.

Can't remember too many people complaining about Tugay's game being limited - slow, couldn't tackle to save his life - when he was here. A slightly mischievous comparison granted, but it paints the picture. A team can and should make up for any one player's weaknesses.

Whilst it would be nice if Rhodes put himself about a bit more, to be honest this get's nowhere near the surface of Rover's problems. If Rhodes had a decent strike partner who could hold it up, if the midfield had any pace and could support him more, if we could break quicker than the arthritic pensioner pace at which we currently counter attack, Rhodes all round game wouldn't be talked about half as much.

Personally if we can keep him in the summer, I'd look to see if we could bring in a few players to compliment Jordan's style of play (a radical thought) as it'd be a great focus for a premiership push, especially if a few other key performers were kept. However this assumes we have a competent manager who can do this - without transfer interference from anyone - and that we get some of the dross off the wage bill, so it won't happen.

Archived