BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes- exit clause in contract

Despite all the bluster on here from some Town fans about us overpaying for Rhodes i bet they wish they'd stuck 10 mill on his head. Doubt they'd be in the position they are in if he'd stayed there ! 8 mill was a steal.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really like to slag off England on here (unless I've had a drink), but what do you expect me to say when I read things like this.

Kevin Davies would have made you challenge for an international tournament? He was half the player of Heskey who got a game for about 10 years.

TBH I didn't really expect you to say anything. Why would you? You're a sweaty remember. Not only that but if you think Heskey could hold a candle to Davies you are taking the p1ss.

The point I was making that few appear able to grasp is that Owen simply did not suit the squad, rather like Rhodes and our squad. Too many look at Owen as a player and a fine one he was too and a better natural goalscorer than Davies by far BUT our 'Golden generation' were wasted supporting Owen. A lesson can be taken from Sir Alf Ramsey in 66 when we did win the World Cup (need me to repeat that for yoiu salgado? :P ). Popular opinion was that we didn't have a cat in hells chance once Ramsey preferred Geoff Hurst to the supreme goal poacher Jimmy Greaves, history tells us that Ramsey was spot on. Hurst had a blinding tournament and scored a record number of WC Final goals and Ramsey proved that popular opinion sucks.

A decade ago we (England) had good quality in defence and whilst we had no deep sitting midfielder of real quality we had attacking midfield talent to die for with Joe Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard etc to select from. Problem was that whilst each of those played for a team which had been set up and designed simply to provide them with the ball on a plate at the edge of the box (a role that Kevin Davies was made for) we had to go and play Michael Owen ... imo a succession of poor managers too weak to stand against the wishes of the press, media and sponsors! Little Michael did nothing but tart line and run down the channels. All well and good but the single reason that that real midfield quality were starved of the service they revelled in with their respective clubs.

It's not rocket science.

Despite all the bluster on here from some Town fans about us overpaying for Rhodes i bet they wish they'd stuck 10 mill on his head. Doubt they'd be in the position they are in if he'd stayed there ! 8 mill was a steal.

They'd defo still be in the division...although they would be complaining that he doesn't hold the ball up well enough, no doubt...

;-)

They'd defo still be in the division...although they would be complaining that he doesn't hold the ball up well enough, no doubt...

;-)

They were on the way out of it 2 mins ago lol things could change again:)

Looking like they will stay up.

Thank god for Jordan Rhodes and his goals this season - without them we would've gone down without a doubt. Just hope the fact he didn't get selected for "Team of the year" + a hefty price tag means he might turn his brain off and let the money do the talking (as in stay another year). Would be really surprised (and PLEASED!) to see that happen though. Our "Player of the season" by quite some margin if you ask me.

Thank god for Jordan Rhodes and his goals this season - without them we would've gone down

Without Rhodes's goals, but with a better squad we might have scored more goals and made the play offs.

True Den, but as I've said a fair few times on here, who would have picked the players? No doubt we would have ended up with more Danny Murphys and Dixon Etuhu's.

I can't see beyond a squad that needs completely rebuilding SR, and unless Venky's are going to throw tens of millions of their own money at it, then Rhodes will have to go. If - and it's a big if - we get a manager in who's worth his salt in this league, there's an outside chance that the money raised from Rhodes's sale can be used to improve the squad and results. He wouldn't be missed then, would he. On the other hand, keep Rhodes and don't have any money to spend and we can look forward to another season like this one.

• Backroom

Starting to think Rhodes will stay here next season tbh. Reckon all the clamour may be for Murray (Palace) and Austin at Burnley (same as Rhodes but cheaper). Wishful thinking on my part perhaps.

Starting to think Rhodes will stay here next season tbh. Reckon all the clamour may be for Murray (Palace) and Austin at Burnley (same as Rhodes but cheaper). Wishful thinking on my part perhaps.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/8679699/Championship-Jordan-Rhodes-happy-to-stay-at-Blackburn

Jordan Rhodes has pledged to stay with Blackburn Rovers, after they successfully staved off relegation.

Rhodes joined Blackburn last summer for £8million from Huddersfield, and he has lived up to his price-tag with 29 goals - which have proved invaluable to the Lancashire outfit.

The Scottish international is being linked with a move to the Premier League this summer, but he says he would like to help Rovers back to the top-flight.

Rhodes said: "It would be nice to bounce back up with this club. This is a Premier League club.

"It's just a shame this year we have not given ourselves a proper chance.

"There's not that much we need to tweak. We let in too many goals from 85 minutes onwards and should be 10 or 15 points better off.

"Being in the bottom three wasn't nice. But we showed terrific character.

"When the going got tough a lot of people stepped up and got us out of trouble."

Rhodes would not be drawn on whether he though current caretaker Gary Bowyer was the best man to take charge full-time.

"It is not for me to say who the next manager should be. But we will do our best for him, whoever it is," he said.

Den, you never stop moaning that in your view the reason we are in the predicament we are in is that we have sold our best players over the last few seasons and replaced them with inferior ones.

Now for some strange reason you are advocating doing exactly the same with Rhodes, selling our one shining light in a supposed attempt to rebuild the squad. There is only one way forward imo, a clearance sale of all the deadwood and build a better side around Rhodes. Whether we'll be able to hang onto him is a different matter altogether.

It seems to me you simply can't bear to admit that Venky's made one good signing at least.

• Backroom

will they pay 12 mil plus? I don't think so

Since when did fans decide the transfer fee?

His quotes to me are far from committal and if a premier league team came in with the amount we paid for him our hand could be forced

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/8679699/Championship-Jordan-Rhodes-happy-to-stay-at-Blackburn

Jordan Rhodes has pledged to stay with Blackburn Rovers, after they successfully staved off relegation.

Rhodes joined Blackburn last summer for £8million from Huddersfield, and he has lived up to his price-tag with 29 goals - which have proved invaluable to the Lancashire outfit.

The Scottish international is being linked with a move to the Premier League this summer, but he says he would like to help Rovers back to the top-flight.

Rhodes said: "It would be nice to bounce back up with this club. This is a Premier League club.

"It's just a shame this year we have not given ourselves a proper chance.

"There's not that much we need to tweak. We let in too many goals from 85 minutes onwards and should be 10 or 15 points better off.

"Being in the bottom three wasn't nice. But we showed terrific character.

"When the going got tough a lot of people stepped up and got us out of trouble."

Rhodes would not be drawn on whether he though current caretaker Gary Bowyer was the best man to take charge full-time.

"It is not for me to say who the next manager should be. But we will do our best for him, whoever it is," he said.

Where's the pledge ? Just more blue spin chaddy style .

Den, you never stop moaning that in your view the reason we are in the predicament we are in is that we have sold our best players over the last few seasons and replaced them with inferior ones.

Now for some strange reason you are advocating doing exactly the same with Rhodes, selling our one shining light in a supposed attempt to rebuild the squad. There is only one way forward imo, a clearance sale of all the deadwood and build a better side around Rhodes. Whether we'll be able to hang onto him is a different matter altogether.

It seems to me you simply can't bear to admit that Venky's made one good signing at least.

And if there's no money pot available next season, what would you do - continue like this season? No one has actually answered this question yet Rev. Rhodes is a goal scorer, an exceptionally good one, but he isn't a top player. He isn't a leader of either the line or men Rev. I still believe that the £8m could have been used to put together a better squad that would have finished higher up the league. As for building a side around him, that won't happen anywhere.

Even if Rhodes did swear his loyalty to us, I would take it with a truckload of salt. Words are wind in the football industry, and no one could begrudge nor not expect Rhodes to make a career move if the opportunity presented itself to him.

C'mon, we've all followed football long enough to know ANY footballers declarations of loyalty

are total gash.

If its the right deal, he's away. If Venkys need the cash, he's away. If another team want him badly enough, he's away.

What we need to worry about is, have Venkys got the finances to re build and if so who the hell will be spending it.

Not hopeful on any front.

Archived