BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes- exit clause in contract

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really Phillip?, thought Agnew's buffer was the one entrusted with sorting the contracts out, certainly appeared that way when the signing was announced. Singh did all the running about and hassling Huddersfield and Shaw finalised the details ?

Really Phillip?, thought Agnew's buffer was the one entrusted with sorting the contracts out, certainly appeared that way when the signing was announced. Singh did all the running about and hassling Huddersfield and Shaw finalised the details ?

good point that, but don't let it get in the way of a poster who always seems to have an angle and/or agenda when posting :!:

A local agent just told me that Rhodes has a £4M escape clause in his contract if we get relegated. It was agreed to by Rovers on the assumption that this "would never happen" !!!

I was wondering the same, hope it isn't true! How would he know though? Especially after the Yakubu clause it is something that should never happen again. The club really should insert a clause for their benefit to lower player salaries in the circumstance of relegation.

If we are to go down, I couldn't see any other outcome than Rhodes going for less than what we paid for him anyway.

Yeah I was just going to say the same. We massively overpaid so would have to take a huge loss anyway.

He's a million miles from PL standard yet, and not many Championship clubs are willing to spend big money. Somewhere between £4-5 million is probably his true value so it's not going to hurt is that much I wouldn't think.

If he really is on £30-£40k a week as well, even a £4 million price tag might not guarantee a new club for him.

Yeah I was just going to say the same. We massively overpaid so would have to take a huge loss anyway.

He's a million miles from PL standard yet, and not many Championship clubs are willing to spend big money. Somewhere between £4-5 million is probably his true value so it's not going to hurt is that much I wouldn't think.

If he really is on £30-£40k a week as well, even a £4 million price tag might not guarantee a new club for him.

Disagree. We paid top dollar for someone who we hoped would guarantee 20+ goals in this division as opposed to someone might bag a decent return and he has delivered.

Admittedly it's hard to see a 1st division player going for 8m but that's rather different from alleging we were stupid enough to agree to a clause letting him go for half what we paid for him as PB is alleging.

Disagree. We paid top dollar for someone who we hoped would guarantee 20+ goals in this division as opposed to someone might bag a decent return and he has delivered.

But the going rate for a 20+ goalscorer in this league isn't £8 million.

I don't disagree that we paid top dollar to try and guarantee those goals. Other Championship clubs don't operate that way though, so nobody else will pay the same. Other clubs will scout properly and pay a fraction of that on someone like Chris Woods.

I bet it's almost impossible to find an example of a Championship paying in excess of £4 million for a striker in recent history.

• Backroom

But the going rate for a 20+ goalscorer in this league isn't £8 million.

I don't disagree that we paid top dollar to try and guarantee those goals. Other Championship clubs don't operate that way though, so nobody else will pay the same. Other clubs will scout properly and pay a fraction of that on someone like Chris Woods.

I bet it's almost impossible to find an example of a Championship paying in excess of £4 million for a striker in recent history.

Last time this was pointed out to Rev he left the conversation and never returned to it

I think the clause is an irrelevance anyway as we wouldn't get much more than that for him if we go down

Yep, it will be a fire sale if we went down, for sure.

There's no way we could afford to keep Rhodes on, on the money he's on. Everyone will know we're desperate and we'll get a doing, such is life.

But the wider context of what future we might have in League 1 is more worrying than one individual player. We're talking about a backdrop of millions being wasted, and a perilous financial position. Taking a hit on the Rhodes fee isn't quite small potatoes in comparison, but we'll just have to take it and hope we still have a future.

He would have to go... He would probably have to go if Blackburn stay up... I don't know how much he is on a week, but I'm sure I read he is on £40,000 (correct me if I'm wrong) a Championship club can't sustain players on that sort of wage.

Signing the lad for £8m... Good money if his goals get you promotion to Premier League but you wont make any profit on a player of that value, he still a risk for a Premier League club and Championships clubs don't have that sort of budget.

Last time this was pointed out to Rev he left the conversation and never returned to it

I think the clause is an irrelevance anyway as we wouldn't get much more than that for him if we go down

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but there was no guarantee before the start of the season Wood would get 20 ish goals. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. You could quite easily spend 1m on 6 different strikers and not get a decent return out of any of them.

In my view you can only say we massively overpaid for Rhodes if you can prove beyond doubt we could have landed him for less but we said "We'll give you 8m anyway because we're just those sort of guys."

I would say in the context of the season the money spent on Rhodes was money well spent. Conversely the 3m spent on Best is starting to look like money down the pan unless he experiences a sharp upturn in attitude and form.

A local agent just told me that Rhodes has a £4M escape clause in his contract if we get relegated. It was agreed to by Rovers on the assumption that this "would never happen" !!!

Would not surprise me if true. Be just like us to lose him for half of what we paid.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but there was no guarantee before the start of the season Wood would get 20 ish goals. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. You could quite easily spend 1m on 6 different strikers and not get a decent return out of any of them.

In my view you can only say we massively overpaid for Rhodes if you can prove beyond doubt we could have landed him for less but we said "We'll give you 8m anyway because we're just those sort of guys."

I would say in the context of the season the money spent on Rhodes was money well spent. Conversely the 3m spent on Best is starting to look like money down the pan unless he experiences a sharp upturn in attitude and form.

There were proven strikers at this level going for a lot less... Billy Sharp is at Forest on loan and scores about 1 in 2 in championship? There are numerous others.

I don't doubt the goal scoring ability of Rhodes but 8 million is at least 3 million over what he was worth and IS worth IMO.

Outside of the Prem, who's going to have the money to pay Rhodes what we're paying him on top of a £4m transfer fee?

Certainly no-one in Championship (or the Premiership at this stage in his career) will match what Blackburn are paying him (I'd imagine thats the biggest reason he joined Blackburn)

If the lad had any kind of ambition he would join a club with real promotion aspirations... (or he can continue to earn a wedge at Ewood)

There were proven strikers at this level going for a lot less... Billy Sharp is at Forest on loan and scores about 1 in 2 in championship? There are numerous others.

I don't doubt the goal scoring ability of Rhodes but 8 million is at least 3 million over what he was worth and IS worth IMO.

But Zaha cost 15M and he'll only bag you 7 or so a season. Tom ince is also worth 25M i hear so 8M for a striker isn't that bad really.

Archived