BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham vs Rovers

You'd be forgiven for forgetting that in the middle of all this week's current drama at Ewood there is actually one game left in the season at St Andrews. Rovers need to not lose 14-0 to be mathematically safe from relegation, but hopefully we can sit back and watch the other teams fight it out for relegation. Brum are currently sitting in 10th but should we win, we would actually go above them.

Sorry for the very short preview, anyone who'd like to add to it would be most welcome :)

Prediction: Brum 2 - 2 Rovers. Rhodes x 2

Merged Match Preview posted by Glosrover

One of the best players to play for both clubs IMO was Mike Rathbone - if you're in your fifties, as I am, you would remember the days before Jack Walker when Rovers punched way above their weight in the old third division, then the second division, and occasionally flirted with promotion to the first division as was.

They relied on 'real' managers who traded, wheeler dealed, and were straightforward football people, (not greasy PR machines or Sky apologists). Guys like Jim Smith, who left Rovers for the (then) bigger 'big club', Howard Kendall (who used to play for B'ham) and Bobby Saxton (who as far as I know has no connection to them at all).

Rathbone was at the time I think a record signing (at 50k!) having been on loan at Rovers, but I can also recall lesser lights coming our way from the brummies pre-Premiership when we were skint, Andy Needham, Mick Kennedy, and much later the likes of Howard Gayle.

The team in those days was primarily a smattering of local lads, allied to honest journeyman pros, and a few (relatively) big names - so in no particular order, link to Birmingham, or indication of fondness, we saw the last hurrahs of John Radford, Alan Birchinall, Gordon Taylor (link to Bham alert) Dave Wagstaffe and Johnny Aston.

This I know because I've just read "the smell of football" by Mick Rathbone, and I highly recommend it to any football fan, and certainly anyone to whom any of the names above strike a chord.

Irrespective of the coincidence of me reading it as we're just about to play Birmigham, it also is very cathartic in these days to compare and contrast to an era where the players loved the area, the club and the fans, they interacted with the fans in society and had to work hard to make their names and a decent living. (by the sound of it they had to work hard to run off the effects of permanent hangovers as well).

There is a very stark contrast also to the former structure of a board made up of football-loving local businessmen with personal stakes in the club, (not managers of bank debt) who would often pay wages with personal cheques.

In the current climate, it is refreshing to read a narrative where a player has nothing but good to say about the club, its organisation, desire, determination and good honest values, and not a diatribe about the daily chaos and ineptitude or the bizarre handling of people (employees and fans alike) that weve seen of late.

Maybe the current crop of players might take a leaf out the pre-match routine that Rathbone describes as used to take place - every week Glen Keeley would have a bottle of scotch in the kit bag, and starting with his sidekick Faz, they all take turns for a swig, then run out on the pitch to play. (IMO would make no discernable difference to Dann and Hanley the current equivalent pairing). I would also recommend their incentive scheme, £180 per man win-bonus.

Looks like the wheel is almost full-circle and the days when we're skint may soon be upon us again soon, if we can somehow change the ownership back to stakeholding local business people, employ some good honest pros, then aspire only to being skint but happy, it wouldnt be such a bad thing.

The game on Saturday?

2 sets of players with nothing really to play for, minds already set on phoning their agents for the next career move and salary demands, or concerned at what colour 'Lambo' to upgrade to after returning from a trip 'home' to whatever corner of the EU or Balkans they come from. In many cases regarding our squad, I hope that their lockers at Ewood are fully cleared before they leave for the game.

I can see it being the very drabbest of drab 1-1 draws.

For me, the real contest starts after the season ends. The loanees and the Bosmans will slink away to abandon ship, hopefully there will be a crew (and temporary captain) to identify the debris and deadwood being carried (and that needs to be sent to other vessels), a new cargo of enthusiastic workers will be recruited and there will be enough cash left to pay the ferryman before we set sail in August towards next seasons iceberg field.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a ridiculous league where a team in 17th can go above the team they're playing in 10th with one game to play.

With a few draws/defeats from teams above us its possible if rather improbable that could finish 11th (still a very grim best case scenario).

Of course the flip side of that coin is we could easily finish as low as 21st (or even 22nd if lose heavily and results go against us)

It's a ridiculous league where a team in 17th can go above the team they're playing in 10th with one game to play.

With a few draws/defeats from teams above us its possible if rather improbable that could finish 11th (still a very grim best case scenario).

Of course the flip side of that coin is we could easily finish as low as 21st (or even 22nd if lose heavily and results go against us)

Don't be silly.

Don't be silly.

Ha. Maybe Shebby's got his visa puts himself in charge and 15-0 will look like a par score.

Only put it in because its technically mathematically possible to finish 22nd even if it is a 10,000-1 chance of it happening.

I'd say its similar odds to owners starting to run things well. Ie not bloody likely.

By way of a bit of an addition,

One of the best players to play for both clubs IMO was Mike Rathbone - if you're in your fifties, as I am, you would remember the days before Jack Walker when Rovers punched way above their weight in the old third division, then the second division, and occasionally flirted with promotion to the first division as was.

They relied on 'real' managers who traded, wheeler dealed, and were straightforward football people, (not greasy PR machines or Sky apologists). Guys like Jim Smith, who left Rovers for the (then) bigger 'big club', Howard Kendall (who used to play for B'ham) and Bobby Saxton (who as far as I know has no connection to them at all).

Rathbone was at the time I think a record signing (at 50k!) having been on loan at Rovers, but I can also recall lesser lights coming our way from the brummies pre-Premiership when we were skint, Andy Needham, Mick Kennedy, and much later the likes of Howard Gayle.

The team in those days was primarily a smattering of local lads, allied to honest journeyman pros, and a few (relatively) big names - so in no particular order, link to Birmingham, or indication of fondness, we saw the last hurrahs of John Radford, Alan Birchinall, Gordon Taylor (link to Bham alert) Dave Wagstaffe and Johnny Aston.

This I know because I've just read "the smell of football" by Mick Rathbone, and I highly recommend it to any football fan, and certainly anyone to whom any of the names above strike a chord.

Irrespective of the coincidence of me reading it as we're just about to play Birmigham, it also is very cathartic in these days to compare and contrast to an era where the players loved the area, the club and the fans, they interacted with the fans in society and had to work hard to make their names and a decent living. (by the sound of it they had to work hard to run off the effects of permanent hangovers as well).

There is a very stark contrast also to the former structure of a board made up of football-loving local businessmen with personal stakes in the club, (not managers of bank debt) who would often pay wages with personal cheques.

In the current climate, it is refreshing to read a narrative where a player has nothing but good to say about the club, its organisation, desire, determination and good honest values, and not a diatribe about the daily chaos and ineptitude or the bizarre handling of people (employees and fans alike) that weve seen of late.

Maybe the current crop of players might take a leaf out the pre-match routine that Rathbone describes as used to take place - every week Glen Keeley would have a bottle of scotch in the kit bag, and starting with his sidekick Faz, they all take turns for a swig, then run out on the pitch to play. (IMO would make no discernable difference to Dann and Hanley the current equivalent pairing). I would also recommend their incentive scheme, £180 per man win-bonus.

Looks like the wheel is almost full-circle and the days when we're skint may soon be upon us again soon, if we can somehow change the ownership back to stakeholding local business people, employ some good honest pros, then aspire only to being skint but happy, it wouldnt be such a bad thing.

The game on Saturday?

2 sets of players with nothing really to play for, minds already set on phoning their agents for the next career move and salary demands, or concerned at what colour 'Lambo' to upgrade to after returning from a trip 'home' to whatever corner of the EU or Balkans they come from. In many cases regarding our squad, I hope that their lockers at Ewood are fully cleared before they leave for the game.

I can see it being the very drabbest of drab 1-1 draws.

For me, the real contest starts after the season ends. The loanees and the Bosmans will slink away to abandon ship, hopefully there will be a crew (and temporary captain) to identify the debris and deadwood being carried (and that needs to be sent to other vessels), a new cargo of enthusiastic workers will be recruited and there will be enough cash left to pay the ferryman before we set sail in August towards next seasons iceberg field.

Great post, Glosrover!

Glosrover

"This I know because I've just read "the smell of football" by Mick Rathbone, and I highly recommend it to any football fan, and certainly anyone to whom any of the names above strike a chord."

Seconded. A great read.

Baz Rathbone was a great player. Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few who played for both:

Alan Ainscow, Dunny, Howard Gayle, Howard Kendall, Andy Kennedy, Robbie Savage, Damien Johnson, Tiny Taylor, Jeff Kenna.

Horible club, usually with a team full of thugs. I can't think of another equivalent team who have contributed so little to football over the years.

2-2 I reckon for the score.

• Backroom

Did Dwight Yorke play for Birmingham?

Barry Ferguson, Scott Dann, pretty sure Lee Carsley and Chris Sutton were there as well.

Just checked and they all did, as well as DJ Campbell and Mike Newell.

2-1 win, Rhodes with both to finish top goalscorer.

What relevance does Campbell have to us? ;)

Overall, we've played 111 times, Won 43, Drew 27, Lost 41.

But at their ground, we've played 55, Won 7, Drew 14, Lost 34.

We haven't won their since 2003 when we won 4-0. I remember that well actually because not long after we drew them away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, I was pretty optimistic but we ended up losing 4-0.

We drew 1-1 at home this season didn't we. Rochina scored a penalty if I recall and we played quite well, watched it on a stream and we probably should have won that game. Berg was manager and people felt optimistic afterwards, and rightly so as we did play well.

Their season has picked up since January-ish, and they'll have some players who can cause us problems.

Archived