BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shebby Singh

waggy

- Transfers should be left to the manager and the scouts should help find targets. A Director of Football would need plenty of footballing experience, even then it's risky, and Shebby was a pundit, no more, so he shouldn't be deciding.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with this but we weren't a normal club.

But what if the alternative at the time was acquiescing to bringing in Simon Cox and keeping Kean as manager?

Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures.

Now we have the 15th best squad in the league according to the table, which based on the money spent is woefully short of expectations.

The table is based on games since the beginning of the season under poor management and demotivated, disaffected players. Where would we be in a table for Appy's first 4 matches?

Our first team isn't 15th best on terms of quality - although injuries could really hurt us - but it's not top 6 either.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But how did he get his direct line to the owners??? Kamy said getting in touch with them was far from easy and appleton and his lawyer managed it???

I worry that if Appleton works out and things go well then the man that brought him to the Roa's table gets to put his feet back under.

Where would we be in a table for Appy's first 4 matches?

Dumb stats alert!

If we go off 4 points from 3 games, ironically he'd have us in about 40-43 points = 7th - 13th

Include the Derby cup game (Championship opposition) and that's 7 points from 4 and we are between 49 and 56 points = 5th

Obviously doesn't account for a good run or a bad run but it just goes to show how tight this league is. More often anyone can beat anyone.

Maybe the play-offs aren't t over just yet.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with this but we weren't a normal club.

But what if the alternative at the time was acquiescing to bringing in Simon Cox and keeping Kean as manager?

Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures.

The table is based on games since the beginning of the season under poor management and demotivated, disaffected players. Where would we be in a table for Appy's first 4 matches?

Our first team isn't 15th best on terms of quality - although injuries could really hurt us - but it's not top 6 either.

I would even trust Kean's judgement over Singh. He is at least a coach rather than a random pundit.

Also as we have seen, Kean never played some of the players Singh picked and neither have the other managers so they aren't up to it clearly.

Also we are 13th in the League, and the league table doesn't lie. Shebby SIngh has been at the forefront of football operations, and he has seemingly signed these players and also claimed to appoint Berg.

• Backroom

I thought I was being fair Stuart, if we take out the signing related ones from the negatives then we also have to take out signing Rhodes from the positives surely but I included that

I would even trust Kean's judgement over Singh.

So you would rather still have Kean as manager with Cox up front?

Unbelievable.

I thought I was being fair Stuart, if we take out the signing related ones from the negatives then we also have to take out signing Rhodes from the positives surely but I included that

Sorry I'm struggling to keep up with the debate. So you agree that Singh brought in Rhodes?

I never said that. I'm just saying that Kean was a fully qualified coach, whereas Shebby Singh was an obscure pundit with no relevant experience. On the face of it, Kean should have had more control than Shebby. Quite frankly near should have had any.

But that was my point. If Venkys had taken Kean's judgement over Singh's then we'd be watching Rhodes in stripes banging them in for Hudds and Cox in the blue and white halves under Kean's watchful gaze.

You can't have it both ways.

Thats assuming that Venky's would have pocketed the millions saved by buying Cox, and that Kean would not have quit, which is totally unknown.

He didn't quit after it became clear that he was out of his depth.

He didn't quit when he faced player mutiny.

He didn't quit when his best players were sold.

He didn't quit when he almost relegated us.

He didn't quit when he "successfully" relegated us.

He wouldn't have quit.

That's not a wild-arsed guess, it's from experience.

Personally think Kean was gracefully removed from the front line (and rewarded handsomely) to detract attention away whilst leaving "the plans" appointed board members in place to carry on the good work, no doubt Singh played a role in making it uncomfortable, hence the twitter outburst about singh's work permits from an SEM employeee who apparently defended it by saying it was his personal account and therefore his own views although later used it to issue an SEM statement about he who can not be named not being involved in the Appleton appointment.

Also we are 13th in the League, and the league table doesn't lie.

But it does. We were top 2 under Kean and we didn't even have Rhodes then.

Teams are constantly going on good and bad runs and their positions are always changing. You can't just take one's week position as evidence we are where we should be.

As for this Singh argument, in a way it's a bit pointless debating imo.

One week we hear Shebby has been meddling in team affairs, the next week it's "shadows" or whatever.

We have no idea what's gone on.

All we know is that they all need to go and we need to hire people who know how to run a football club.

• Backroom

So you would rather still have Kean as manager with Cox up front?

Unbelievable.

Sorry I'm struggling to keep up with the debate. So you agree that Singh brought in Rhodes?

I agreed he played a part and gave him credit for that

Just as its a negative that he Targetted duds, the failure for actually signing them sits with the owners :)

How do you know they would have been duds if we´d signed them? They might have done well for us. Some players do well for some teams yet not for others at a similar level. There is nothing wrong in targetting anybody or anyone, it is NOT a negative. Only when it actually happens can we then start to judge. There is nothing wrong in looking around at all options. It doesn´t matter if you "target" 20 cars to buy, it is what the one that you settle with does that matters.

As for our league position, well, we will see by the end of the season. Ultimately, however, whoever decided not to sack Kean in the summer will be to blame. That one was a walking time-bomb and having decent runs would have still left a very divided club. Someone has mentioned short-term pain for long-term gain on other matters, that has to be the same with Kean. Yes, it was messed up after, but we have a manager now in Appleton who hopefully will come good. Despite not being anyone´s first choice, he has recently presided over three games without conceding a goal from open play. Remember when we couldn´t keep a clean sheet for love nor money?

Ideally, Singh would be nowhere near a club like ours. Then again, ideally nor would many others that are making a lot of money out of the shambles that is Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

I agreed he played a part and gave him credit for that

Just as its a negative that he Targetted duds, the failure for actually signing them sits with the owners :)

Without Shebby that Rhodes transfer would not have happened. Isn't that the bottom line?

Without Shebby that Rhodes transfer would not have happened. Isn't that the bottom line?

Any dick could see rhodes can score at this level and he paid way over the odds...great deal. :(

How much cash had he keaned up the wall with the other shyte he is responsible for...not to mention the fact that he's a complete keaning buffoon...jack would turn in his grave...

• Backroom

Any dick could see rhodes can score at this level and he paid way over the odds...great deal. :(

How much cash had he keaned up the wall with the other shyte he is responsible for...not to mention the fact that he's a complete keaning buffoon...jack would turn in his grave...

Paying over the odds is relative. I think at the time it was a high price and with some better negotiation skills we could have landed him for a bit less but in fairness to Shebby he's never done deals before and I doubt we have much experience left in that regard (didn't we go from offering £4m in different formats straight to £8m?)

However even at £8m its worked out at good value, agree with the first point though, identifying him as a target wasn't an act of genius anyone with an ounce of knowledge about football could have done that (and most did) - but we had Kean.

• Backroom

Very good point, the owners will no doubt see it as good value if they get a good return :(

I still often wonder how we would be doing if we went for a cheaper striker and a decent midfielder but football is full of what ifs

Archived