BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

McClaren will be appointed Derby manager tomorrow according to the Beeb. He's an ex-Derby player of course. He's been credited with QPR's great start to the season by Redknapp but I think he's one of those who is better as a coach than as a manager. Derby treated Clough badly - to sack him after the Forest defeat of all teams was heartless.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren will be appointed Derby manager tomorrow according to the Beeb. He's an ex-Derby player of course. He's been credited with QPR's great start to the season by Redknapp but I think he's one of those who is better as a coach than as a manager. Derby treated Clough badly - to sack him after the Forest defeat of all teams was heartless.

To be fair Jim, I think they may have all but made their minds up given the home form this season.

W0 D1 L3 F2 A8

Been better away though !

So Derby spend, what, 3-4 years building a footballing ethos based on the purist philosophy and then, when things look like they might be coming to fruition, they scrap it all and maybe appoint someone like Pulis? Surely there must have been a fall out behind the scenes. Derby have been deep in the mire and stuck with Clough and now they look comfortably safe and they pot him? Seems bizarre.

• Backroom

Experienced managers at this level would have failed at least once somewhere in their career. Otherwise they wouldn't be managing at this level.

We'll see I guess. Was Pulis in the stands though? Did I read that somewhere?

I think I read he was there as a mate of Clough (might have been in this thread actually!), if so I can't imagine an approach would have gone down too well :lol:

Did McClaren start off managing at Derby, possibly after John Gregory got sacked?

He may be a good assistant manager/coach, but he is a terrible manager barring about 1 season at Middlesborough. He was about 4th choice for the England job when he got it.

2001–2006 Middlesbrough

2006–2007 England

2008–2010 Twente

2010–2011 VfL Wolfsburg

2011 Nottingham Forest

2012–2013 Twente

2013- Derby County

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McClaren

No one before 'Boro. I would not have known that.

He probably should not have left Twente for Wolfsburg so soon, as the article says, Twente won the Eredivisie Dutch League with him.

All burnley's matches were against teams outside top10 in current table (except us). but they are playing well.

From the BBC, the last 10 matches from Burnley and their current table ranking:

Bolton 23

Shef. Weds. 21

Yeovil 22

Brighton 12

Derby 14

Rovers 8

Birmingham 17

Leeds 11

Charlton 20

Doncaster 18

Total table ranking played 166/10= 16.6 is the average league standings of the teams Burnley have faced so far.

By comparison, we've played:

Derby 14

Nottingham 4

Doncaster 18

Barnsley 24

Bolton 23

Burnley 1

Leicester 3

Huddersfield 9

Bournemouth 13

Watford 7

Total table ranking played 116/10= 11.6 is the average league standings of the teams Rovers have faced so far.

Burnley have faced teams averaging 5 places lower on the table than us (16.6 compared to our 11.6 over 10 games).

If we compare only the last 6 games, then we've played 56/6 an average table ranking of 9.3. By contrast, Burnley have played 88/6 teams with an average table ranking of 14.6.

While I'm no sure of the value of the analysis, I'm pretty sure they're in a false position and we'll overtake them eventually. And I say this not as a Rovers supporter who bears a grudge against Burnley (I'm in a minority as I think the feud is fairly ridiculous) but I think it obvious we're the better team.

Reading, Ipswich and QPR in our next 3 games. Based upon your view that is 3 losses for us coming up so you'll be above us before the end of October by winning your next 3, playing 2 teams from the bottom half and Blackpool.

For now though I'm simply pleased by our performances and the fact we have already collected close to half the points we need for safety this season after going into it worrying about relegation

• Backroom

Reading, Ipswich and QPR in our next 3 games. Based upon your view that is 3 losses for us coming up so you'll be above us before the end of October by winning your next 3, playing 2 teams from the bottom half and Blackpool.

For now though I'm simply pleased by our performances and the fact we have already collected close to half the points we need for safety this season after going into it worrying about relegation

I agree Longsiders, Burnley ARE playing well (from what I've seen of them this season).. you have to be worried about your light squad though eh? a couple of injuries or suspensions could see the trend reverse a tad.

Based on the current table, the total rankings from your next three would be 17 (5+10+2) plus the previous 166= 183/13= 14.07 average table standing over 13 games.

Our next three are Wigan (15) + Charlton (20) + Blackpool (6)= 41+116= 157/13= 12.07. So Burnley will still have a slight advantage as compared to the Rovers, in that you'll have played opponents two rungs down the league ladder, on average.

I'm not knocking Burnley. You've played well. But you've had an easier run so far than the Rovers. I also think we are the better squad, have more strength in depth and, overtime, we'll overtake you on the league table. In the meantime, congratulations on a great start to the season.

From the BBC, the last 10 matches from Burnley and their current table ranking:

Bolton 23

Shef. Weds. 21

Yeovil 22

Brighton 12

Derby 14

Rovers 8

Birmingham 17

Leeds 11

Charlton 20

Doncaster 18

Total table ranking played 166/10= 16.6 is the average league standings of the teams Burnley have faced so far.

By comparison, we've played:

Derby 14

Nottingham 4

Doncaster 18

Barnsley 24

Bolton 23

Burnley 1

Leicester 3

Huddersfield 9

Bournemouth 13

Watford 7

Total table ranking played 116/10= 11.6 is the average league standings of the teams Rovers have faced so far.

Burnley have faced teams averaging 5 places lower on the table than us (16.6 compared to our 11.6 over 10 games).

If we compare only the last 6 games, then we've played 56/6 an average table ranking of 9.3. By contrast, Burnley have played 88/6 teams with an average table ranking of 14.6.

While I'm no sure of the value of the analysis, I'm pretty sure they're in a false position and we'll overtake them eventually. And I say this not as a Rovers supporter who bears a grudge against Burnley (I'm in a minority as I think the feud is fairly ridiculous) but I think it obvious we're the better team.

Well done Steve, I love stats!

I won't congratulate them, can't stand them. :)

Archived