BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looking Back

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was it. He also banged on about how we should all have Man Utd as our big rivals because Burnley were too small and parochial. That makes me think of the children's book The Bad Tempered Ladybird. And wasn't there something about a 24 hour protest outside Ewood Park as well?

Yeah, I believe he arranged a 24 hour sit-in outside Ewood a couple of years ago. Seem to recall that he gave up after just a few hours, as he was "bored".

Not been on here in a while, just seen Glenn's post on twitter so decided to say hello.

I cant remember when I joined, it was when the site was run by Lee, so at a guess sometime in 1998, although I could be completely wrong.

Been on the Mailing list from Indiana for a similar length of time as well.

Howdy Will, did you also used to attend a lot of England games? I'm sure we've spoken about the national team quite a bit when I was a member of englandfans.

Sure did Ricky, last game was against Italy in the Euros last year. Other than that I hadn't been for a number of years.

I joined in early 2004, I think it was, during Souness' relegation battle run in. It was around the time of the Fulham away game we won 4-2 or 4-3. Hakan Sukur scored a cracker and Flitcroft was on the right wing.

I was working in a job that afforded a lot of computer time, and nobody I worked with followed football. I needed a Rovers outlet so searched for "Rovers Forurm" and this site came up. It was refreshing as it made me feel closer to home. Even though I've never met anyone who posts on here.

Most of the thread I agree with. Blue Phil got a mention and he did stick out for me as he knew his football but his political views had him arguing more time than not.

Hi Reb!

PC Threepwood! How are you? :P

A couple of people have mentioned the old mailing list run out of Indiana. It's still going! It's pretty quiet on there these days, but what traffic there is tends to be of a pretty good quality.

I can dig out the details if anyone wants.

That was the one by Bill Elliot I think his name was? I was a member of that for a long time and from there was directed on to here.

That was almost my first internet experience, the first cannot be mentioned or named due to censoring.

Joined just after Lee moved to the dark side (nothing personal)

Dont know how I found the site - tinternet search I presume.

Used to have some good old conversations in the chat room, AlanK, Hannah, the original Sydney Rover, Dave B, Modi (my stalker as he called me)

All those years of searching and typing news feeds along with Soccernet bloggs - where did they all go

That was the one by Bill Elliot I think his name was? I was a member of that for a long time and from there was directed on to here.

That was almost my first internet experience, the first cannot be mentioned or named due to censoring.

and it is still going strong!

I didn't know the mailing list was still going. Bill Elliot added me to the list in or around 1993 after I had defended rovers in a football related newsgroup. Just like here the mailing list had its ups and downs and its fair share of bickering but had really good content in a far more news starved age.

I signed up to this site probably due to links from the mailing list back in 2002 however I lurked for a long time and really didn't start posting until 2005 when the "Greatest Team" was being debated. Those were really good days and the insight from all posters on players I'd never seen brought them to life in a way that enabled you to make sound decisions on who deserved to be in the Greatest Team.

The low points for me were the Nicko days with his nocturnal band of Nickoteens. I don't think the site has ever really recovered.

Nowerdays I just lurk a lot and break things behind the scenes.

Hats off to Den (who organised it all), the Greatest Team debate that he organised was one of the best things we ever did. (Ok, the welcome in Turkey was probably topped it, but we didn't really organise that, we were just willing accomplices).

I'd spent years trying to think of a similar follow up to that project, but inspiration never struck.

By the way, you can read the "Greatest Ever Team" discussions here - http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/11080-greatest-ever-rovers-team/ essentially Den organised a poll for everything single position and people nominated players, but those nominated were normally detailed, insightful reviews, especially good were the ones for players most of us were too young to watch.

Been a member since 2004, long time lurker infrequent poster! Again think it was a case of boredom at work and lots of internet time that led me here.

Met Scotty, Jordan and stuwilky before the Manchester/cardiff semi finals if memory serves me right! Miss having a season ticket but up for a few jaunts from the north east if anybody fancies it..

I would imagine it would have been about 1997/1998 as I'm sure I was at Uni at the time. I was also on the old BRFC mailing list which must have been pre that.

...And which is still limping along (now at brfc@indiana.edu).

Found this site in 2002/2003 on Google. It's the best place for me to get news and read discussions about the club. Recently Twitter and Facebook have also provided this but they are just not the same.

Absolutely nowt to do with the subject matter, but whenever I see this thread, I get that song that goes 'Looking back, over my shoulder..........' in my head. That's all I really wanted to say.

Haha same here.

I used to always have 'The Final Countdown' in my head as well due to the relegation thread a couple of seasons ago.

I discovered this site via the official Rovers forum (boards.rovers.co.uk?) in 2007, I believe. Did not look back after I found BRFCS.

As for former posters I miss; shilito/shilito15 is the one who stands out. Up there with Topman/DE in terms of humour and quality contributions to this board.

A man with taste.

Guest Norbert

Haha same here.

I used to always have 'The Final Countdown' in my head as well due to the relegation thread a couple of seasons ago.

I remember that being played as the teams came out at Ewood Park when we were a top team, along with Thin Lizzy.

Signed up many moons ago because the official board was full of kids and people I couldn't stand. Unfortunately this place has become a bit like that in many ways, more of a reader than a contributor now but I still appreciate the contributions of the better posters and I log on most days.

Archived