BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Moderation Lead

I’m not sure there was a giant pool of candidates in reality. I’m a bit torn on this one. Stokes is a great cricketer, but I do think it’s a bit unfair to ask him to be captain with his recent mental health difficulties. It put him in a difficult position and it was an opportunity he couldn’t turn down.

• Like 1

Look at Botham and Flintoff, cracking all rounders but couldn’t hack the captaincy. It’s not ideal for an all rounder to be Test captain, especially one that plays all three formats, but the cupboard’s bare, I mean, apart from him and Root, who will even be automatic picks for the side in a year's time, never mind captaincy material?

Tough gig, so good luck, Ben!

• Like 1

“Right and correct choice”. In an apparent field of one it doesn’t take a genius to pick Stokes as captain. Key is being well paid to make decisions anyone with half an interest in cricket would have made anyway.

Key has paid no heed to the previous failures of all rounders as captains. It’s too much for one man to do and his form as a player is likely to suffer. This is unlikely to end well

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not sure there was a giant pool of candidates in reality. I’m a bit torn on this one. Stokes is a great cricketer, but I do think it’s a bit unfair to ask him to be captain with his recent mental health difficulties. It put him in a difficult position and it was an opportunity he couldn’t turn down.

Rob Key and Ben Stokes would have discussions about his mental health difficulties before he was offer the job and Ben accepting it. Lets not forget that Covid lockdown and bubbles plus he lost his dad during last the couple of years. It would affect alot of people really. 

As Nasser Hussain said yesterday we need to judge Stokes as Stokes. People will say look at Botham but he was young and inexperience. I would look at Imran Khan captaincy of Pakistan and how successful they were. 

I would expect he will take a step back from white ball cricket over time. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rob Key and Ben Stokes would have discussions about his mental health difficulties before he was offer the job and Ben accepting it. Lets not forget that Covid lockdown and bubbles plus he lost his dad during last the couple of years. It would affect alot of people really. 

As Nasser Hussain said yesterday we need to judge Stokes as Stokes. People will say look at Botham but he was young and inexperience. I would look at Imran Khan captaincy of Pakistan and how successful they were. 

It’s the mental health side of all this Chaddy. Stokes is a man who’s just taken time out from the game because - I guess - he found the workrate or stresses too much. Coming back and immediately taking on a job where expectation, stress and focus of every media outlet will higher than ever before doesn’t make any sense to me.

The most important thing is his health, not the England captaincy. This is captaincy of a struggling side with a dearth of test talent as well. He should have refused it IMO, but I wish him all the luck in the world.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well before being picked as England Test captain he decided to pull out of the IPL 2022 auction so that he could focus on his preparation for the upcoming NZ and SA Tests. He wants to  get some County games under his belt.

I think his head is ok now and he will have Jimmy, SB and Root to help if needed.

What we need are top order people* who can who can score more than 20. 

* I do hope that word is OK,  I don't know where to check the rules.

Give that he's our best batter, a genuine fast bowler of international standard and a brilliant slips fielder I'd say he's taking on one hell of a load.

Will his player contribution decline as his skippers job takes over? I must say I wish we could have found someone else.

I accept that none come to mind.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Give that he's our best batter, a genuine fast bowler of international standard and a brilliant slips fielder I'd say he's taking on one hell of a load.

Will his player contribution decline as his skippers job takes over? I must say I wish we could have found someone else.

I accept that none come to mind.

That’s what happened to Botham and Flintoff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Horror session for Lancs this morning. 105-7 at one point.

Bit of a recovery from Salt and Bailey now, but still 90 odd runs behind Hampshire's total.

Thankfully we've pretty much ensured first innings parity. Be a good game to win now!

6 hours ago, den said:

It’s the mental health side of all this Chaddy. Stokes is a man who’s just taken time out from the game because - I guess - he found the workrate or stresses too much. Coming back and immediately taking on a job where expectation, stress and focus of every media outlet will higher than ever before doesn’t make any sense to me.

The most important thing is his health, not the England captaincy. This is captaincy of a struggling side with a dearth of test talent as well. He should have refused it IMO, but I wish him all the luck in the world.

You failed to understand what it like into a bubble for months end on end plus he lost his father in this period of time. 

But also He wouldn't have taken the job otherwise would he. Do you not think Rob Key would have spoken to people within the game like his Durham head coach and chairman there. 

Stokes is the right and correct choice. 

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Well before being picked as England Test captain he decided to pull out of the IPL 2022 auction so that he could focus on his preparation for the upcoming NZ and SA Tests. He wants to  get some County games under his belt.

I think his head is ok now and he will have Jimmy, SB and Root to help if needed.

What we need are top order people* who can who can score more than 20. 

* I do hope that word is OK,  I don't know where to check the rules.

Stokes did pull out out the IPL. 

I have suggested a few players who can fill these top positions Like Josh Bohannon, Tom Abell, Tom Haines, Rob Yates, Ben Duckett, Joe Clarke. 

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Spot the FU

lancs Capture.JPG

Yeah, I saw that as well. Couldn’t really miss it.

I have to say that Lancs TV are doing a great job. There are a number of cameras now (7 I believe) rather than the two behind the ends previously. The scoreboard on there though is regularly confusing.

3 minutes ago, den said:

Yeah, I saw that as well. Couldn’t really miss it.

I have to say that Lancs TV are doing a great job. There are a number of cameras now (7 I believe) rather than the two behind the ends previously. The scoreboard on there though is regularly confusing.

I really do enjoy the coverage on Lancs TV. Radio people are such better commentators.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

The time looks right for England to take a chance on Josh Bohannon (msn.com)

I agree with this. 

My team for the first test against New Zealand would be

Crawley Lees Bohannon Root Lawrence Stokes(C) Foakes(wk) Broad Parkinson Anderson plus 1 more fast bowler

Crawley is never a test opener in a month of Sundays chaddy. I'd rather have his Kent opening partner, Compton. He looks a more solid bet.

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Crawley is never a test opener in a month of Sundays chaddy. I'd rather have his Kent opening partner, Compton. He looks a more solid bet.

Well I am backing Zak Crawley to be success and I expect him to be vice Captain

On 06/05/2022 at 11:18, chaddyrovers said:

England add Brendon McCullum to their white-ball coaching wishlist as new ECB chief Rob Key also sounds out ex-South Africa and India coach Gary Kirsten for the Test role

England add Brendon McCullum to their coaching wishlist as Rob Key looks for new Test staff | Daily Mail Online

It now looks like Brendan McCullom will be the new red ball coach.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

It now looks like Brendan McCullom will be the new red ball coach.....

I'm surprised by this news tbh if its happens but he appears to jump ahead of Gary Kirsten and Graham Ford. 

I thought he would be good choice as white ball head coach tbh

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm surprised by this news tbh if its happens but he appears to jump ahead of Gary Kirsten and Graham Ford. 

I thought he would be good choice as white ball head coach tbh

It sounds like a combination of a great interview and his close relationship with Ben Stokes - both NZ South Island men.

• Like 1

Stokes regards himself as a proud Cumbrian now. He's lived here since he was 12. McCullom should be given a warm welcome as England coach. After the Silverwood disaster, it needed an outsider to come in and shake the team up. 

• Like 1