BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

For useless, read unlucky.

Some of those shots Crawley played today were outstanding, you can see why they won’t drop him, he has the potential to be our best batter.

Unlucky today. 

• Like 1

They don’t half faff about in the modern game.

Any excuse not to play cricket these days. Ludicrous water breaks every hour. New gloves for batsman. I’d say no substitute fielders (although Gary Pratt was great). If you need the toilet in the field, you go down to 10 men. Batsmen can replace the bat if it breaks nothing else. Just play cricket, no less than 110 overs a day otherwise the bowling team penalised.

Nearly 6pm and 74 overs bowled with the spinner bowing 27 overs. Its pathetic. 

• Like 1

England declare at 393-8. Extraordinary because that's a 450-550 pitch

This is not Test cricket as we know it Jim

Root in supreme form. You can bet at least 2 of the other lot will get similar scores

• Like 2

Very part time watcher of cricket so for the layman, why would we declare now with root still in and scoring on day 1? 

Is it to catch the aussie batsmen off guard? They wouldn't have been expecting to bat this evening and mentally clocked odd?

England played like we thought they would attacking cricket and Stokes declaring like he did shows his positive mindset of this current England team and management. 

Crawley set the tempo with that first shot for 4. Even Stokes was shocked. Root outstanding again. Bairstow and Crawley was very good today. 

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Very part time watcher of cricket so for the layman, why would we declare now with root still in and scoring on day 1? 

Is it to catch the aussie batsmen off guard? They wouldn't have been expecting to bat this evening and mentally clocked odd?

Pretty much. So they could have two goes at the opening batsmen with the new ball. Quick half hour burst tonight, where they could’ve prised out one or even two of them - then another go in the morning as the batsmen try and play themselves in again.

Age old tactic… but normally it’s with about 500/550 on the board at that stage of day 2… not with 390 on day 1!

It’s BazBall baby! 😁

Edited by Mattyblue

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I can kind of understand it when they’ve bowled seam all day, but 29 overs of spin and still 8 short. Ridiculous.

6 short (change of innings) - but that’s with the extra half an hour.

As @matt83 mentioned earlier, they were on 74 overs just before the scheduled close of play.

As you say, ridiculous.

If Australia were told after losing the toss that they would have been batting at close with England having made less than 400 they would have been very happy. A crazy declaration get your runs in the first innings, the way Root was playing even with only 2 wickets left England could have easily added another 50 or so runs. Stokes needs to be careful that his positive captaincy doesn't veer into foolish arrogance, it cost England last time out in Wellington let's hope that it doesn't here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RoverDom said:

I think the rule of thumb is nothing is predicable under Baz n Stokes, convention goes right out of the window and I love it.

They just won the mind games with that declaration, it’s over cast today we could see some movement with the ball, now can they go on and win the match? If they do it will go down as a masterstroke.

Edited by Gav

59 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think the rule of thumb is nothing is predicable under Baz n Stokes, convention goes right out of the window and I love it.

They just won the mind games with that declaration, it’s over cast today we could see some movement with the ball, now can they go on and win the match? If they do it will go down as a masterstroke.

I think that’s true of any ‘unusual tactic’

Personally, I’d have sent out the instruction (to Root and Robinson) to ‘give it a twat’

We would either have added another 40ish runs or lost the last 2 wickets quickly and still had a bowl at them.

I’d also be interested in the thinking behind Robinson bowling instead of Andersen.

All that being said, Stokes certainly has plenty of ‘credit in the bank’ to make whatever decisions (within reason 😁)  he wants.

I wonder if he’d have done the same if we’d only been 4/5 wickets down…

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

Its a 5 day test Gav! What's the point of winning the toss and batting if you are not going to get the best outcome? Another session, quite possible with Root playing so well, and we could have put ourselves in an unbeaten position.

Great way to start the series.

As it is the Aussies could get a 1st innings lead with the pitch playing as it is.

They would never have let us back into it, that is absolutely certain. 

It may well turn out that we win but that doesn't validate the decision.