BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 04/12/2022 at 08:03, jim mk2 said:

Pakistan’s batting was very impressive to get so close to England’s score. They could have been demoralised but they played some brilliant shots and every ball on its merit. 

England lost a couple of quick wickets in 2nd innings. To lose it from here would be even more impressive 

You’ll be telling us next Pakistan are a pub team……

Superb victory by England, superb batting and brave declaration, a new era, long may it continue.

• Like 2

Loving the test cricket. What a refreshing and positive approach by England.  The game has changed so much in the last decade or so.

This wicket is already turning two foot. With only one front line spinner i was a tad concerned, but even Roots taking wickets. It will be a nightmare to bat on day four and five. I'm predicting another win.

• Like 1

Full credit to Pakistan too for their part in this series. They put up a fight and pushed England all the way in both Tests; their 579 in response to England 657 was particularly creditable. England are playing a high-risk game but it's worked so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Full credit to Pakistan too for their part in this series. They put up a fight and pushed England all the way in both Tests; their 579 in response to England 657 was particularly creditable. England are playing a high-risk game but it's worked so far

Yes they have done well. But they are at home and have all the advantages. It's England forcing the tempo and making them play our way. Plus we have coped with illness and integrated new players. We have played brilliantly well and taken the cricketing world by suprise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Yes they have done well. But they are at home and have all the advantages. It's England forcing the tempo and making them play our way. Plus we have coped with illness and integrated new players. We have played brilliantly well and taken the cricketing world by suprise.

Spot on.

England have only won twice in Pakistan in 60yrs until this series, this is a phenomenal effort by a tremendous team, Pakistan were blown away. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Spot on.

England have only won twice in Pakistan in 60yrs until this series, this is a phenomenal effort by a tremendous team, Pakistan were blown away. 

Exactly. Pakistan are very, very good at home and only this refreshing approach has given us this series win. This is genuinely a brilliant sporting achievement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Nail-biting stuff. This team deserves so much credit. Wish our footballers played with this freedom.

Agree with this but I thought losing the last 5 wickets for 19 in cavalier fashion was a bit over the top. We had loads of time so there was no reason not to put the game out of sight with another 50 or so. Pakistan would have had to defend which was impossible on that pitch.

I'm quibbling I know, but there were times on that last day when we looked like losing which would have been farcical.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Apparently the series has been played in a really good spirit so far. Credit to both teams.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apparently the series has been played in a really good spirit so far. Credit to both teams.

Yes, credit to both. It takes 2 to make a game and Pakistan have played their full part.

They could have capitulated in the face of England's assault in the first game - but they didn't. And they could easily have won the second 

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Agree with this but I thought losing the last 5 wickets for 19 in cavalier fashion was a bit over the top. We had loads of time so there was no reason not to put the game out of sight with another 50 or so. Pakistan would have had to defend which was impossible on that pitch.

I'm quibbling I know, but there were times on that last day when we looked like losing which would have been farcical.

Yes I agree with this up to a point. There are definitely going to be games going forward that England lose when they shouldn't do. All part of the risk and reward strategy I suppose. Let's just hope it doesn't cost us the ashes.

45 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yes I agree with this up to a point. There are definitely going to be games going forward that England lose when they shouldn't do. All part of the risk and reward strategy I suppose. Let's just hope it doesn't cost us the ashes.

Having watched us hammered last time around, risk and reward is fine by me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

All part of the risk and reward strategy I suppose. Let's just hope it doesn't cost us the ashes.

This is what I worry about. If we try that same approach on the MCG or the Gabba we will get pasted again. We simply don't have the firepower. Seamers are great on some pitches---particularly English ones. But we need pace in Australia and we don't have it. Additionally, time after time our top order capitulates to their pace. If Australia need 275 to win does anyone doubt they will get them?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wood is “ Australia “ quick, so is Archer. The only problem is they are both seriously injury prone.

I can't remember when Archer last played! I was going to refer to him but I couldn't remember his name! So much hope there at one time.

It’s brilliant to watch and the desire to play attractive, attacking test cricket is fantastic to see. England rightly see themselves as leaders in a new era, a new approach. If they are successful and blow teams away regularly other sides will have to follow. 

As in any professional sport though,  It “IS” about results. Play this way and win and you’ll be number one in the world. Every side will fear you. Play this way and start losing regularly and nobody will fear you. You’ll become cannon fodder and derided. As for now, it’s superb. Ben Stokes currently looks like the best cricket captain in the world.

Edited by den