BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The accepted rule in my experience was you warned the batter first. After that if they did it again it was fair enough. What the Indian player did yesterday was unacceptable.

I'd never heard of that but seems a perfectly acceptable cricketism 👍

4 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

If you watch the replay, the umpire speaks to the bowler after she removes the bails. I wonder what he said to her? I think it could have been “what the heck are you thinking of”, or words to that effect. 

He probably asked her if she was sure she wanted to appeal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

If you watch the replay, the umpire speaks to the bowler after she removes the bails. I wonder what he said to her? I think it could have been “what the heck are you thinking of”, or words to that effect. 

I almost got run out in a similar sort of way. I’d played and missed at a ball with the wicket keeper standing up. He’d had it his gloves for a while so I wandered out of my crease. The keeper whipped the balls off and appealed. Before the umpire could make up his mind the captain of the opposition, who was fielding at first slip, said to keeper “ Don’t be a dick, put the bails back on “.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I'd never heard of that but seems a perfectly acceptable cricketism 👍

The bowler should have stopped in mid delivery, stepped right back to the wicket, and then said “ Next time, I’ll run you out “. Fair enough after that.

Headline in my paper today says the “ MCC states the win was properly officiated “. Of course it was, that’s not the issue, as soon as the Indian player appealed the umpire had to give the England player out.

On 29/09/2022 at 20:27, oldjamfan1 said:

Yorkshire relegated after an exciting finish in the Warks v Hants game. A ‘9 fer’ for Liam Norwell. Take a bow son 

🐑🐏🐑🐏🐑🐏

Apparently, Joe Root was playing golf whilst Yorkshire got relegated! 😂

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s crazy.

not really cos England players are very rarely available these days when the international cricket summer schedule starts. 

Maybe playing less county with 3 divisions of 6 with promotion and relegation is the way forward. playing each other home and away is the way formation. Allowing cricketers more time to practice and train. This will produce more quality cricket to watch

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

not really cos England players are very rarely available these days when the international cricket summer schedule starts. 

Maybe playing less county with 3 divisions of 6 with promotion and relegation is the way forward. playing each other home and away is the way formation. Allowing cricketers more time to practice and train. This will produce more quality cricket to watch

How can playing less red ball cricket improve the test team? It can’t. That’s why many counties including Lancs are against Strauss’s proposals.

I agree that there’s too much cricket. The choker is the hundred. That’s strangling county cricket. 

Edited by den
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, only2garners said:

For any Lancashire members make sure that you vote against Strauss’ High Performance Review when the papers arrive soon.

Yes,I will. 

A review whereby he was told the hundred was staying for at least 4 years and he had to work around that. What kind of review is that? I’m still vey surprised by Strauss’s conclusions though.

Reducing the number of county cricket games is not the way to produce a top Test team.  It's almost inevitable England will get hammered again in the next Ashes series, there'll be more hand wringing, another review, and nothing will change, and so it goes on. The only conclusion is Test cricket is not a priority for the ECB.  

5 hours ago, den said:

How can playing less red ball cricket improve the test team? It can’t. That’s why many counties including Lancs are against Strauss’s proposals.

I agree that there’s too much cricket. The choker is the hundred. That’s strangling county cricket. 

The Hundred is simply a grift.

The Vitality should have been targeted to make it more family friendly or whatever term is currently in fashion.

There was no need to invent a new competition and dress it up in new rules,  driven only by greed.

On the county game - playing less competitive games does not produce better players, in any sport. It's a nice spin though by those after the cash of The Hundred.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, den said:

Playing less red ball cricket cos you allowing playing time to recover, rest and practice more allowing the best players to play. If you look at next year schedule England test cricket won't be played in August so you need red ball cricket being played during the months when Test cricket is play. So you want 4 or 5 red ball games before the the first test with Ireland in First week in June. That would be over 6 weeks period. Then ideally you want the rest of red ball games between June and end of July. I would to play 50 overs games between Middle of May and middle of July. Mainly played at weekends to allow people to attend. Then play 20 over competition over 6 weeks period over Middle of July to end of August with final on Saturday in August Bank Holiday. 

13 hours ago, den said:

The hundred is staying so we got to find a way around it. I never watched a game of it myself. So yes I would like to see it going. 

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Reducing the number of county cricket games is not the way to produce a top Test team.  It's almost inevitable England will get hammered again in the next Ashes series, there'll be more hand wringing, another review, and nothing will change, and so it goes on. The only conclusion is Test cricket is not a priority for the ECB.  

Australia squad aren't that great and we had a great summer of test cricket. Of course Test Cricket is a priority for the ECB. People are interested in that format the most plus the way England under Stokes and McCullum are playing good interesting cricket. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Here is England's international schedule for the next 5 years. England Men's Cricket Schedule: Full List Of Test, ODI And T20I Fixtures From 2023-27 (wisden.com)

In June 2024, there is T20 world cup to be played in West Indies and USA. 

in 2025 they will be only 5 test matches that summer all again India. 

Also Australia is touring South Africa in August 2023 straight after the Ashes finishes in July

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The hundred is staying so we got to find a way around it. I never watched a game of it myself. So yes I would like to see it going. 

That's the point chaddy, it shouldn't be. How could Strauss carry out a proper review of cricket with one arm tied behind his back?

• Like 2

World Cup cricket in the US... really? Like football, cricket has sold its soul to Mammon, driven by money only, summed up by the  the nonsense that is the 100. Australia squeezing in a tour to South Africa in the same summer as an Ashes series is crazy too. Money rules. RIP Test cricket