BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Woakes and Ali dropped for this next test. 

Look like Vince will play instead of Livingstone. Huge mistake imo..

Stokes wont bowl so it going to 4 bowlers attack. 

The last 2 spots in team is between Wood, Leach and Overton. 

I would go Leach and Wood. Would have played Livingstone myself..

So top 7 will be 

Cook Stoneman Vince Root Malan Stokes Bairstow. 

Watching Smiths interview it’s clear he’s absolutely devastated. Watching a grown man crying in front of the worlds cameras isn’t nice, you have to feel for him as a person.

having said that there are still unanswered questions as to whether this was an isolated incident. Unless someone else steps forward with evidence I guess we’ll never know. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Woakes and Ali dropped for this next test. 

Look like Vince will play instead of Livingstone. Huge mistake imo..

Stokes wont bowl so it going to 4 bowlers attack. 

The last 2 spots in team is between Wood, Leach and Overton. 

I would go Leach and Wood. Would have played Livingstone myself..

So top 7 will be 

Cook Stoneman Vince Root Malan Stokes Bairstow. 

I agree with all your views. Ali has had an awful tour, I hope his confidence can return and get his form back in English conditions.

I do hope we show some batting application and grit...............but not in the Aussie way

1 hour ago, den said:

Watching Smiths interview it’s clear he’s absolutely devastated. Watching a grown man crying in front of the worlds cameras isn’t nice, you have to feel for him as a person.

having said that there are still unanswered questions as to whether this was an isolated incident. Unless someone else steps forward with evidence I guess we’ll never know. 

He can cry as much as he wants, no sympathy from me.

Making Warner Public Enemy No. 1 and claiming Smith was only aware of the plans minutes before retaking the field are an insult to our intelligence.

Great cricketer that he is does not cover up his arrogance and flaws.

The Smith character rehabilitation programme will get into full swing soon and I wonder if when it does Warner will not feel provoked to speak out and name names.

• Like 1

Smith doesn't deserve any sympathy. He knew exactly what he was doing but the rancid win-at-all-costs ethos in the team meant he was blind to it. He cannot expect an easy ride when he returns either - crowds will give him a hard time. No matter what he achieves in the rest of his career, his character as a person and record as a batsman is permanently stained .

Warner would be no loss to cricket if retired today. Nasty and provocative player who does besmirches the good name of cricket.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, den said:

Watching Smiths interview, ......you have to feel for him as a person.

Do you?

Not for me, I'm with Asia on this.

And it's not sour grapes. I think they probably did tamper with the ball in the Ashes. But it's irrelevant, they would have beat us anyway. 

You reap what you sow in life, and their conduct over the past few years in general has been extremely poor, to the extent that their own coutrymen have been turning against them.

Just cos the chickens have finally come home to roost, no amount of crocodile tears are going to suddenly make me feel sorry for them.

It's karma and comeuppance time. And personally I'm loving it. 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Do you?

And it's not sour grapes. I think they probably did tamper with the ball in the Ashes. But it's irrelevant, they would have beat us anyway. 

You reap what you sow in life, and their conduct over the past few years in general has been extremely poor, to the extent that their own coutrymen have been turning against them.

Just cos the chickens have finally come home to roost, no amount of crocodile tears are going to suddenly make me feel sorry for them.

I feel for him on a personal level, yes. 

Lehmann is gone as well now.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, den said:

I feel for him on a personal level, yes. 

Lehmann is gone as well now.

Well you'v got a big heart then den, good on you.

Think I'll stick to being a xenophobic, vindictive git thanks.  ?

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Do you?

And Oz is famous for its Crocodiles, they are everywhere.

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Upset at seeing Smith and Bancroft so upset on TV. 

Yeah, me too. 

It's gonna proper ruin my Bank Holiday that! 

That bottle of plonk is going to taste a bit sour.....;)

Bancroft just been dropped for summer by Somerset too. 

• Backroom

17_4a8f235a00000578-5543305-image-a-32_1

17_4a8efff800000578-5543305-image-a-36_1

Just for the record, these are the guys I'm supposed to feeling sorry for right?!

Multi millionaires that drive supercars and live in beachside mansions. 

And no, that's not me being jealous of their wealth. It's the point that with this great wealth comes a certain level of responsibility. That's why you're getting paid the big bucks in the first place.

To play for arguably the most famous cricket team in the World, to be an ambassador for your country, and an example to millions of young kids that idolise you. As well as fulfilling certain obligations to multi-million pound sponsors that help fund the lifestyle you now have the benefit of living. 

So, when all that comes crashing down because of your own stupid actions, then sympathy is not what I feel these fellas really deserve. You've got to take the rough with the smooth in life. And they've been having it very smooth for a very long time. 

Unrelated, the same goes for Ant McPartlin and the outpouring of sympathy that has come out for him in recent weeks. 

Yes, he seems to be having a rough time, both with his family life, and certain addictions. But, after the privileged life he's benefited from over the last few decades, to get in a car and drink drive putting a family and young child's life in danger, is a grave error of judgment that he is going to be rightly severely punished for- both criminally, financially, and reputation wise. And he has no-one to blame but himself for all that. 

Why I should feel sympathy for any of these people is mystifying to me. 

But perhaps I'm not a very caring person in life and need to re-evaluate. It's going to take some convincing for that though. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, Silas said:

17_4a8f235a00000578-5543305-image-a-32_1

17_4a8efff800000578-5543305-image-a-36_1

Just for the record, these are the guys I'm supposed to feeling sorry for right?!

Multi millionaires that drive supercars and live in beachside mansions. 

And no, that's not me being jealous of their wealth. It's the point that with this great wealth comes a certain level of responsibility. That's why you're getting paid the big bucks in the first place.

To play for arguably the most famous cricket team in the World, to be an ambassador for your country, and an example to millions of young kids that idolise you. As well as fulfilling certain obligations to multi-million pound sponsors that help fund the lifestyle you now have the benefit of living. 

So, when all that comes crashing down because of your own stupid actions, then sympathy is not what I feel these fellas really deserve. You've got to take the rough with the smooth in life. And they've been having it very smooth for a very long time. 

Unrelated, the same goes for Ant McPartlin and the outpouring of sympathy that has come out for him in recent weeks. 

Yes, he seems to be having a rough time, both with his family life, and certain addictions. But, after the privileged life he's benefited from over the last few decades, to get in a car and drink drive putting a family and young child's life in danger, is a grave error of judgment that he is going to be rightly severely punished for- both criminally, financially, and reputation wise. And he has no-one to blame but himself for all that. 

Why I should feel sympathy for any of these people is mystifying to me. 

But perhaps I'm not a very caring person in life and need to re-evaluate. It's going to take some convincing for that though. 

Not necessarily. I think people ultimately know what they're doing is wrong then they still do it, they shouldn't expect sympathy when things go belly up.

Incidentally, I've all the sympathy in the world for people having a tough time upstairs as it's absolutely horrible when you are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas said:

Well you'v got a big heart then den, good on you.

Think I'll stick to being a xenophobic, vindictive git thanks.  ?

Just to be clear - although I’m sure everyone knows what I mean - I certainly have no sympathy for his actions or punishment. The punishment is tough in some senses, but credit to CA for hitting these guys hard. However, it’s not nice to see any individual in the mental state that he was.  Surely we all would agree on that.

I feel no sympathy for smith. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed him squirm. Even after admitted cheating post match he was so cock sure of himself. I believe the tears are more to do with the fact they've been caught and the Australian public have said what they think than actually being sorry. In my opinion pure self pity.

Had they not been caught business as usual. Ie. Cheating. No remorse. No regrets. 

• Like 1

This made me laugh:

Oh...Davie Warner’s Aussie
He wears the baggy green
He dribbles like a caveman
His behaviour’s quite obscene
He’s rather fond of Candy
She gives him such a thrill
But when he offers her de Kock
She begs for Sonny Bill!”

Warner may never get to hear the barmy army serenading him with that. But that said he’s no loss to the game. 

Edited by matt83

No sympathy from me, they would have carried on if not caught. Plus if it is sandpaper they where using, then that suggests a much bigger and longer thought out plan. They where caught within 1/2 hour of a former player asking the cameraman to look out for it, again suggests this has been going on for a long time. Also strange that it's restricted to these three batsmen, who didn't even tell the bowlers - again I don't buy that. 

As one whit on twitter said, I feel sorry for Mitchell Strarc who must be devastated to suddenly find out he isn't this generations Wasim Akram.

In my playing days it was always the bowlers who mucked around with the ball. Picking at the seam was favourite. It seems inconceivable to me that 3 batsmen should decide to alter the ball without the knowledge of the bowlers. 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

In my playing days it was always the bowlers who mucked around with the ball. Picking at the seam was favourite. It seems inconceivable to me that 3 batsmen should decide to alter the ball without the knowledge of the bowlers. 

In my opinion unthinkable the bowlers knew nothing about this. 

But as someone commented: if cricket Australia are to be believed that it was only 3 batsmen who knew about the ball tampering designed to help the bowling attack. Then I feel truly sorry for Mitchell Starc because all this time the poor bugger has genuinely believed he’s Wasim Akram.

34 minutes ago, Husky said:

I'd chose anyone here to play instead of 'grandad' Cook.

. . . even the grandads here ;)

All good things come to an end. At the moment it’s feast of famine with cook. And a lot lot lot more famine. If take his last 17 innings (vs nz, Australia, windies) he’s averaged 40. Not too shabby on the face of it but doesn’t quite tell the full story. He’s basically had 2 daddy 100s and naff all else.

I’ve always thought to judge form over a short period a players median score is a better indicator of what score your most likely to get than an average. His last 17 innings have been 2, 2, 2, 5, 7, 7, 10, 10, 11, 14, 16, 17, 23, 37, 39, 243, 244. So his median score is 11. Frankly on current form definitely more likely to see an 11 than the average of 40 suggests.

Bairstow played very well tonight. 97 not out. 

Wood's inning was good and attacking. 

290-8 now end of day 1. Fairly even day for both teams..

Questions have to be ask about Cook, Stoneman and Vince future now? With Nick Gubbins, Bell Drummond, Dan Lawrence, Liam Livingstone, Haseeb Hameed and Joe Clarke all waiting for their chance in the team. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

For what it's worth, I do feel sorry for Smith in the sense that it must be hard when, from being a kid, everyone has fawned over you and basically let you get away with whatever you've done. Then suddenly you expect to get away with yet another thing and you get caught out. Suddenly you're career as captain goes, your adulation dries up and what have you left. It must be hard being a superstar.

Do I feel the punishment is too harsh? Do I heck! He cheated, admitted to cheating, and thought he'd get away with a rap on the knuckles as usual. His arrogance beggars belief. 

As for Warner, just par for the course. 

The one I do feel a twinge of actual sympathy for is Bancroft. He's obviously been singled out as the weak fall guy by Warner and whoever. Younger guy who probably looks up to others and does as asked. No excuses still though. Bans all about right