BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton - the "Prestige Friendly"

A fixture that just two years ago was a bog standard PL game and now it is our "prestige friendly" :( However it is our last game before the season starts. Previous games have been mixed, out of all of them the second half of PNE was marginally better than the other games.

Everton have gone though some changes this summer with the loss of Moyes to Man U and the addition of Martinez. Personally I'm not sure it is going to work well for any party but we will see.

I don't think we should read too much into preseason games, however a decent performance would be nice to see us into the new season.

Anyway I thought I'd get the match previews going and ask the folks over at Toffee Talk (Tricky Trev, avinalaff, Daziel Kane, Hafnia, Peter H, Zoo) to answer a few questions about how they think their season is going to go.

Although early for you, how has pre-season gone so far?
Pre season is far too early yet to see who we are going to buy and how we are playing.
I've been happy with our signings so far and the optimism is starting to return. Initially I was really disappointed with losing Moyes, but we must move forward now and hope Martinez is a lucky manager.
I haven't been keeping up with pre-season
I like the fact that the soundbites i'm hearing that Martinez is very ball work focussed, he has given some youth a real chance already and is clearly looking at all options. He has moved swiftyly in the transfer market and made some astute solid signings where we need.
Pre season so far - a few simple mistakes by Jags and Distin worry me. Conceded some silly goals already. I know its early but these are the types of mistakes that we have seen from these two lately. Im not expecting Distin to start the season, think Alcaraz will take the spot next to Jags come the PL.
Hard to say, we've only played two games and both of them were purely for fitness. I think the game against Blackburn is where we start to concentrate on winning games and gaining momentum.
- Martinez, good match for Everton? (I don't rate him personally)
I've got a really good feeling about Bobby. Talks well and I think the loan signing of Defelou speaks wonders about his standing in the game.
Time will tell. Initially I wasn't in favor of his appointment, but he will have the support of the fans going into the season.
Wasn't the choice I wanted, but no good crying over spilt milk. Some insist he's the best thing since electricity, I have my doubts. If there's some more attacking emphasis than before and the manager goes a bit more attack minded, then at least it'll be an improvement on before
I rate him very highly, I was gutted when I thought he was going to Liverpool, he will create a dynasty at our club. He is clearly intelligent, articulate, knows how the game should be played, and in all reality what he achieved at Swansea and Wigan deserves far more credit than he gets. We need to give him the time to flush our old ways out (hoofing from the back, sitting back on 1-0 leads, pinging balls to channels), we may see the odd thrashing and stupid goals conceded, but all in all our play is going to be far more polished and players of the ilk or Barkley, Pienaar, Osman will enjoy his style.
I wanted Laudrup more but RM was my second choice and im well happy with the signing. He has been brilliant so far in finding player types that we really need. I believe Kone can become a monster for us. Alcaraz is a very stable CB. Gerard D is very exciting. Looking forward to see him play for us. Robles might even edge out Howard. Again, slightly worried about the stupid goals that we have concieded so far. RMs biggest challange last year was defensivly so im hoping that its a coincidence that we have let some silly goals in so far and not bad defensive coaching from RM.
Brilliant. I wasn't happy at first but he's made all the right moves. Better than Moyes by a long way.
- Hopes and expectations for the new season?
Hopes? I hope top four but probably wishfull thinking. We are being written off as usual and everybody gushing over Liverpool who I think will finish top ten. I reckon 5th with a cup hopefully
Every year our hopes are to enter the top 4, but I will accept top 7 in Martinez' first year if he gives it a go
Hheart says UEFA Cup soccer and a first trophy since 1994/95, head says we'll probably achieve 7th to 9th place and lose out in the quarter or semi-finals of the domestic tourneys.
To see a change in our play in terms of adventure, guts, patience, hopefully resulting in the type of football I grew up watching the great everton team of 84-86 play. Top 6 will be good enough with the potial of a cup run and a few hidings given out away to the top4.
top 7, above Liverpool, perhaps european qualification
Europe
Likely team to start vs Rovers
God knows who will start
No idea at all, but I am hoping to see our main strikers get a run out.
I wasn't aware we were playing Blackburn Rovers.
Wouldnt even like to predict, thats the beauty of Martinez. He is giving all players a chance, so it wont be the usual 11.
no idea, hoping to see Barkley, Oviedo, Fellaini, Baines, Mirallas and Defelou. The more we see of Baines and Fellaini in pre season, the less likely they are to leave. The others are exciting to see. I would also like to see Alcaraz play alongside Jags.
A strong one, the first two games decided which of the youngsters were good enough for the Premier League this season so this game will see the first-team given a game together.
Without looking can you name 11 Rovers players nowadays?!
Got a couple of mates who are Blackburn fans and am gutted for them the way you have been treated. You could go on and on about the mismanagement of your club but its a wake up call for us evertonians what could happen if you get the wrong people to buy in. Robinson,Givet,Henley,Dunn,Pederson,Best,Rhodes,Lowe are all I can think of
I'm afraid I can't.
In a word, No. I couldn't name any of your players for the best part of a decade.
Is pedersen still stealing a living? Jordan Rhodes is a talent. Bit of a pity what happened there, I like Blackburn.
Gamst Pederson... Jason Roberts :D
Finally my prediction is a 2-1 defeat.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to see O'Sullivan given a game, to see if he is ready to step up. Ideally we will have a new midfielder ie Bannan and maybe even Williamson available next Sunday, but regardless I wouldn't play Lowe.

I would maybe play a team of:

Kean

Kane Hanley Kilgallon Morris

O'Sullivan Marrow

Judge Rochina King

Rhodes

Maybe giving Dann, Nunes and Taylor a half each.

Roversfan99, Williamson is not going to be fit for the start of the season. Rochina didn't play in either of games on Tuesday due to injury and I would doubt whether he would start tomorrow or the Derby game. probably going to start off the bench. And Bannan isn't even signed yet so he not going to play tomorrow for sure

my team for tomorrow would be:- Kean; Kane, Hanley, Kilgallon, Morris; Talyor/Judge, Marrow, Lowe, King; Best, Rhodes.

would like to see O'Sullivan, Nunes and either Taylor or Judge who doesn't start plays 20 mins or so. But I expect most of this starting 11 to play 90 mins for sure

Chaddy, Rochina was injured which is why he didn't play (or at least that's what I understand).

Love the interview with one of the Evertonians....knows no Rovers players, didn't know Everton were playing us & has no idea how pre-season has gone. Great insight!!!

Henley isn't fit Chaddy.

Here are 2 quotes from the LT the other day:

"while Lee Williamson is touch and go for the first game of the season at Derby on August 4 following a back injury."

"David Dunn and Markus Olsson remained sidelined with injury in midweek but others to feature against Bury included Mauro Formica, Diogo Rosado and Ruben Rochina."

So Rochina is fit and available, therefore I would certainly play him over Best. We can play him centrally in the 3 behind Rhodes, a system that looked to have excellent balance against Preston. When we played Rhodes and Best we look far too rigid, and Best doesn't do anything to help Rhodes.

The reason I suggested O'Sullivan is that this is our last non-competitive game. As like you say, no new signings have been finalised, and with Williamson being touch and go for Derby, them 2 positions are up for grabs. Lowe is simply not good enough, Marrow impressed v Preston and I would like to see what O'Sullivan can do besides him against good opponents.

Henley isn't fit Chaddy.

Here are 2 quotes from the LT the other day:

"while Lee Williamson is touch and go for the first game of the season at Derby on August 4 following a back injury."

"David Dunn and Markus Olsson remained sidelined with injury in midweek but others to feature against Bury included Mauro Formica, Diogo Rosado and Ruben Rochina."

So Rochina is fit and available, therefore I would certainly play him over Best. We can play him centrally in the 3 behind Rhodes, a system that looked to have excellent balance against Preston. When we played Rhodes and Best we look far too rigid, and Best doesn't do anything to help Rhodes.

The reason I suggested O'Sullivan is that this is our last non-competitive game. As like you say, no new signings have been finalised, and with Williamson being touch and go for Derby, them 2 positions are up for grabs. Lowe is simply not good enough, Marrow impressed v Preston and I would like to see what O'Sullivan can do besides him against good opponents.

I would play 4-4-2 against Everton with Best and Rhodes up front at some point in the game.

No way is Williamson going to play against Derby. no point risking him.

But if you want to 4-2-3-1 I would play Lowe and Marrow with Taylor on the right and Judge in the number 10 role and King on the left with King and Judge swapping positions sometimes during the game.

Lowe will defo start tomorrow and against Derby for certain!!!

I would defo play O'Sullivan and Nunes in the game at some point.

Chaddy, I didn't mean Williamson should be risked tomorrow, therefore I didn't put him in the team.

We are now preparing for Derby, when we will hopefully have Williamson and a new signing available.

Places are up for grabs. I know if i was manager that Lowe would not be in the team next Sunday. Marrow has put forward a decent case, therefore deserves another chance tomorrow, and due to a complete lack of alternatives, and the promise O'Sullivan has shown, I would give him a game.

Lets hope Lowe features rarely this season.

I really hope Lowe plays tomorrow and against Derby aswell.

he will play most games and hopefully he can develop a good centre midfield partnership with Bannan aswell.

Marrow look very decent on Tuesday.

Shame Campbell got injured on Tuesday as Him and Rhodes were looking fairly decent but still needs working on as a 2 man striker partnership

They'll out number us then!

No big deal really, it would prob be the same if Venkys had never happened. Never get big turnouts for pre season games at Ewood for bog standard oppo. Everton have a huge fanbase and big expectations and there has been plenty times they've brought less than that in the Prem when things weren't going well.

I'll go for 1-3 Everton in front of 9,100 ( 4500 home fans )

Archived