BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster vs Rovers

Well, another disappointing performance.

The way we play is solely down to Bowyer. It's far too defensive and too many players stay behind the ball.

We seem to have a team full of players who want to 'pass the buck' all the time and take the easy option of a sideways or backwards pass. This is either through a lack of confidence or something instilled by the management.

I'm not having it that the players aren't good enough to be able to play in a more positive manner.

I think you have it Aggy. Then again - Bowyer did play Rochina in the first game so perhaps it is not the master-plan?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does your manager do any research about the clubs you are going to play?

It just seems strange that he called James Husbands goal a fluke. If he had watched videos of us from last season he would know Donny does get goals by lobbing the keeper from a distance and it's not just Husband that does it. Here is the first one from last season by Dave Cotterill( at 1.20 in the video) scored in the 1st game of the season at Walsall. Pretty much the same shot as Husbands but from the opposite side of the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp_FS7dO_4

This is Husbands goal from Friday night:-

Go through our archives and you'll find others.

Since when does a player cross a ball towards goal when one of his own players isn't in the goal area? If you look, the Donny Players approach the area in case the ball is saved and knocked out to be in a position to take a shot,

I've heard it remarked that the players were devoid of fight on Friday. Was that actually the case? Often a lack of ability can be confused for a lack of effort. The latter would be more concerning than the former, if GB cannot motivate the players three games into the new season.

Since when does a player cross a ball towards goal when one of his own players isn't in the goal area? If you look, the Donny Players approach the area in case the ball is saved and knocked out to be in a position to take a shot,

Eh? There are four DR players in the area when the ball is crossed. Two of them are 8 yards out, dead centre of goal.

I've heard it remarked that the players were devoid of fight on Friday. Was that actually the case? Often a lack of ability can be confused for a lack of effort.

Spot on Amarillo.

Good luck to Donny, you make your own luck.

Crap teams are unlucky.

Does your manager do any research about the clubs you are going to play?

It just seems strange that he called James Husbands goal a fluke. If he had watched videos of us from last season he would know Donny does get goals by lobbing the keeper from a distance and it's not just Husband that does it. Here is the first one from last season by Dave Cotterill( at 1.20 in the video) scored in the 1st game of the season at Walsall. Pretty much the same shot as Husbands but from the opposite side of the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp_FS7dO_4

This is Husbands goal from Friday night:-

Go through our archives and you'll find others.

No offense but bloody hell if he does that week in week out he'd be playing instead of messi.

I've heard it remarked that the players were devoid of fight on Friday. Was that actually the case? Often a lack of ability can be confused for a lack of effort. The latter would be more concerning than the former, if GB cannot motivate the players three games into the new season.

Interesting and I agree with what you are saying. However there certainly were "mental" issues with Rovers in the game as well as a huge lack of quality. Maybe not all regarding effort, but a lot mental, and let's be honest a lot of the game is in your head.

Effort wise: King definitely looked like he couldn't be bothered. Some cracking runs going forward but several times could've got the ball back if he'd have bothered to track back (easily in fact with his pace) but didn't. Equally am not sure whether lack of speed/fitness could be the cause instead of lack of effort with Dunn but he was hardly industrious. Same could be leveled at Cairney (although a stupid yellow card may also have contributed). Also the full backs were horribly ganged up on - unsure whether this was a lack of effort or poor play.

What was much clearer was the lack of other positive mental attributes like reading the game and ingenuity. We passed it (mostly in defense) side to side with no luck penetrating Doncaster or even creating openings. Yet the players kept on doing it. The midfielders were static and didn't give options and the defense never thought at any point to try passing it forward, even when it clearly wasn't working. The success of another tactic would have been down to quality, but to not even try shows a serious misreading of the game.

Equally there were a few casual attitudes on show and carelessness. Hanley as others have commentated thought he was better than he is - one horrible backpass and poor marking for goal number one are just two examples from a careless attitude. Same could be said of Cairney's yellow card - stupid, needless, in a pointless area of the pitch after only 10 minutes. Dann's marking wasn't much better. No one seemed to be directing things out there, - certainly in a positive way - until Evans came on later who seemed to have a bit of determination about him.

Yes the quality is low, but we don't help ourselves whatsoever by not thinking things through or being savvy at all.

If the order is to cross to 'the back stick' and for the forwards to target that area then I have no problem as it is a percentage tactic and therefore not a fluke. Near post / far post is good. From that situation a winger shouldn't even need to look up... it's up to the forwards to already know where the ball will be put. Personally I cant do with wingers that continually find the keepers hands everytime.

btw Den did you know the general instruction for Wilcox and Ripley to supply Shearer?

If the order is to cross to 'the back stick' and for the forwards to target that area then I have no problem as it is a percentage tactic and therefore not a fluke. Near post / far post is good. From that situation a winger shouldn't even need to look up... it's up to the forwards to already know where the ball will be put. Personally I cant do with wingers that continually find the keepers hands everytime.

btw Den did you know the general instruction for Wilcox and Ripley to supply Shearer?

Oh, yeah, they played that game and it was brilliant. It was 17 years ago Gordon and I don't think the top sides will be going back there any time soon.

Guest Wen Y Hu

For the Donny visitors to the site, a warm welcome. I enjoyed the hospitality at Doncaster (and the first half). For what it's worth, your 7,000 fans made more noise once they had found their voice towards the end than the 20,000 Derby fans did a couple of weeks ago. Similar types of stadiums, too.

BRFCS produce a podcast and in the latest one released today we discuss the Doncaster match, albeit briefly. There's no real comment on the Doncaster performance, which I thought was workmanlike and utlimately deserving of the result, but it might be of interest for you to see how opposition fans view their team's performance. Check out the links on the front page here.

We're a club (rather than just a team) in rapid decline due largely to external factors that we, the fans, have little control over. If we seem a little irascible, there is good cause.

• Backroom

Definitely a cross for me

Hell if Ronaldinho couldn't get the benefit then Husband sure as hell won't

Either way it went in so it doesn't matter, being 'lucky' can help but even without that fluke we would have lost and we'd be best served focussing on the reasons why and where we are losing out

Eh? There are four DR players in the area when the ball is crossed. Two of them are 8 yards out, dead centre of goal.

Spot on Amarillo.

I'm somewhat confused by the point tbh.

Any idiot can put in the effort whether devoid of quality or have skill in abundance. Thing is it's always usually apparent to those watching whether any bugger is trying or not irrespective of ability. The general concensus of those that were at Doncaster on Friday was that we totally lacked effort and application which is inexcusable.

If that is the case, then GB needs to step up to the plate and manage as that is the role. Motivate, cajole where necessary and bollock and chastise where necessary also. It ain't easy but there can only be one gaffer. Nice guys generally win fook all!! But great when they do!

I'm somewhat confused by the point tbh.

Any idiot can put in the effort whether devoid of quality or have skill in abundance. Thing is it's always usually apparent to those watching whether any bugger is trying or not irrespective of ability. The general concensus of those that were at Doncaster on Friday was that we totally lacked effort and application which is inexcusable.

If that is the case, then GB needs to step up to the plate and manage as that is the role. Motivate, cajole where necessary and bollock and chastise where necessary also. It ain't easy but there can only be one gaffer. Nice guys generally win fook all!! But great when they do!

All I'm saying is that sometimes, well quite regularly over the last two or three seasons, we see players coming second best to their opponent. It's not always because they're not trying. I would go so far as to say it's not often they're not trying. It's usually down to other factors. I didn't go to Donny, but because some fans say the players weren't trying, it doesn't necessarily make it true. I guess if you don't know the reason a player is second best on the day, the easy way out is to call them lazy. I know plenty of lads who always used that as their reasoning. Again, I didn't go to Donny, so don't know what went on.

From your answer I don't believe that you do den.

do what Gordon?

All I'm saying is that sometimes, well quite regularly over the last two or three seasons, we see players coming second best to their opponent. It's not always because they're not trying. I would go so far as to say it's not often they're not trying. It's usually down to other factors. I didn't go to Donny, but because some fans say the players weren't trying, it doesn't necessarily make it true. I guess if you don't know the reason a player is second best on the day, the easy way out is to call them lazy. I know plenty of lads who always used that as their reasoning. Again, I didn't go to Donny, so don't know what went on.

do what Gordon?

Know the simple default tactic employed by Wilcox and Ripley to supply Shearer so successfully.

Archived