BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Doncaster vs Rovers

Personally, I think a touch of reality is required from some. The fact is that the Rovers have a group of players who are very average. They work hard, they do their best but that aren't the quality of player that we have been used to in the immediate past. We are not a Premier League club who can attract internationals from around the world anymore. We are what we are - a run of the mill, small town Championship club that is trying to survive on a shoestring budget. We have been here before and survived and we will continue to do so again. Let's be honest, Doncaster deserved to win because there was far more purpose to their play in the areas that mattered. In Theo Robinson they had a front runner who worked the channels and pulled our centre-backs apart. We had a static Rhodes who looks totally disinterested at the moment. In Jones and Khumalo they had two centre-backs who dominated and won everything in the air. We had Dann and Hanley who, once again, were found wanting when balls were whipped into our area. Doncaster's midfield looked to play the ball into the channels for Robinson and Brown to run onto whilst Lowe and Cairney settled for going backwards and sideways and whilst it retained possession it created nothing in terms of attack. However, given Rhodes lack of movement, the midfield had few options available to them.

On returning from Donny and looking back at this thread I really do think that some fans haven't yet grasped the fact that the days of Jack Walker, the Walker Trust, John Williams, Tom Finn, Souness, Hughes and Big Sam are long gone. We have returned to what we were in the period between 1966 and 1991. During that time we had some decent sides and some awful sides, but mainly we were bang average. This is a Championship club that, just like in days gone by, is struggling to balance the books off the pitch whilst trying to put out a reasonable side on the pitch. We all know that the blame for this situation rests with those in Pune but until THEY decide to sell up and move on we are stuck with them. I feel sorry for Gary having to try to work with the financial restraints that are in place in terms of building a squad whilst trying to manage the totally unrealistic expectations of sections of the fanbase. Doncaster beat us because they were better than us and the days of us lording it over other clubs are gone. A mid-table finish this season will be a decent outcome and one which I believe we are capable of achieving unless the owners panic and sack another manager without giving him the time needed to rebuild the club.

Disagree about us going back to the times of balancing the books while trying to put a reasonable side out. In those years we'd at least try to get the best possible manager in for the best of the club.

These days it seems the manager isn't picked on merit as seen with the Holloway fiasco. We're the only club in the land that would spend £8m on a striker then employ three rookies to manage him.

Also Venky's have set the promotion target. You're entitled to be disappointed if you're offered a beer and end up with water.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and Parson - asking the fans to get real and accept a toothless, poor display against any team, never mind Doncaster, won't cut much cloth with the majority.

Yes den, it is time for fans to get real. On the night Donny were the better team, particularly in the key areas of attack and defence. We are an average Championship team that is struggling to balance the books and that is reflected by the quality on the pitch. How much has Gary been able to spend this summer? We are now shopping in the same bargain basement as the likes of Donny so there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to turn us over. Of course we should never have been allowed to get into this state but the simple fact is this is where we now are. We are an average, run of the mill Championship club who will get turned over by clubs who, just a few years ago, we wouldn't have even dreamed of playing ever again. Whilst fans may find that difficult to grasp it is the reality of the situation. Gary is having to rebuild on a shoestring budget and it is going to take time and I have no doubt that we will suffer many more disappointing results along the way but I have every confidence that, given time, he will bring stability even if it is as a mid-table side.

Paul Dickov's tactics were far better than Bowyer's. When we had the ball in our own half we were faced by two banks of five and four and didn't have a clue how to get through them. Consequently we passed the ball along the back four for long periods with the occasional short pass into a midfield player who would invariably pass it back. The tone was set early on with Hanley's poor back pass to Kean. After this there were so many individual errors we were like a park team. Kean simply is too weak in the air and his kicking is atrocious. Hanley's head was still at Wembley and Dann isn't physical enough. Our wide players were ineffective and predictable. Our only hope was from set plays. Bowyer has a massive job but didn't do himself any favours with his post match comments. He is either very naive or completely trying to paper over the huge cracks which are showing. One point from nine represents a really disappointing start and unless Bowyer has a rethink on his tactics we are in for a long season. Quite simply we are too easy to play against.

Having been to the game I totally agree with you arbitro. Paul Dickov set his team up to play "in your face" football just like he used to when at Rovers. You don't have to be technically gifted to do that (just look at Robbie Savage!) but it is effective as it stops better players from dominating.

• Moderation Lead

They put the pressure on early days and we couldn't cope.

He must have done his homework well and told them to get in our faces from the off, and put us user pressure, which they did!!

been through most of the posts since the game finished and i have to say, what a load of keans. most of you weren`t even there but have pinpointed your respective favourite hate figures as usual. really, just shut the hell up, sat there with t`bloody wireless. . :angry2::angry2::angry2:

It was crap , lethargic and rubbish. So you don't want venkys out then? It's not spoilt brats it's fans who care.

don`t get me wrong, it wasn`t great, but it also was FAR from the awful stuff we`ve seen in the past. what can be expected at the moment when we`ve got almost a completely new team?

as somebody said earlier in the thread, fans critisise venkys and shebby but most on here are currently acting as irrationally and reactionary as they ever have been!!

give bowyer and the team time, PLEASE!

Far from awful ? Are you for real ? It was worst I've ever seen and I include k""n ges in that

I apologise about the away fan comments , I had it in my mind you were relegated last season & this was your 1st season at this level for a while, also given the current financial difficulties & with many people on holiday it was a decent effort, had it have been today I expect you would have broken the 2k mark.

Before you pop at our fans numbers , look at your fans first . Quietest fans I've seen , 10 singing.

Personally, I think a touch of reality is required from some. The fact is that the Rovers have a group of players who are very average. They work hard, they do their best but that aren't the quality of player that we have been used to in the immediate past. We are not a Premier League club who can attract internationals from around the world anymore. We are what we are - a run of the mill, small town Championship club that is trying to survive on a shoestring budget. We have been here before and survived and we will continue to do so again. Let's be honest, Doncaster deserved to win because there was far more purpose to their play in the areas that mattered. In Theo Robinson they had a front runner who worked the channels and pulled our centre-backs apart. We had a static Rhodes who looks totally disinterested at the moment. In Jones and Khumalo they had two centre-backs who dominated and won everything in the air. We had Dann and Hanley who, once again, were found wanting when balls were whipped into our area. Doncaster's midfield looked to play the ball into the channels for Robinson and Brown to run onto whilst Lowe and Cairney settled for going backwards and sideways and whilst it retained possession it created nothing in terms of attack. However, given Rhodes lack of movement, the midfield had few options available to them.

On returning from Donny and looking back at this thread I really do think that some fans haven't yet grasped the fact that the days of Jack Walker, the Walker Trust, John Williams, Tom Finn, Souness, Hughes and Big Sam are long gone. We have returned to what we were in the period between 1966 and 1991. During that time we had some decent sides and some awful sides, but mainly we were bang average. This is a Championship club that, just like in days gone by, is struggling to balance the books off the pitch whilst trying to put out a reasonable side on the pitch. We all know that the blame for this situation rests with those in Pune but until THEY decide to sell up and move on we are stuck with them. I feel sorry for Gary having to try to work with the financial restraints that are in place in terms of building a squad whilst trying to manage the totally unrealistic expectations of sections of the fanbase. Doncaster beat us because they were better than us and the days of us lording it over other clubs are gone. A mid-table finish this season will be a decent outcome and one which I believe we are capable of achieving unless the owners panic and sack another manager without giving him the time needed to rebuild the club.

The worrying thing is that, at the moment, we are not living like a small mill town club on a shoestring budget. We are living like a club who, having been relegated recently from the Premier League, has parachute payments that dwarf the TV income of most of our rivals and have owners/banks/whoever that is currently covering big financial losses each month. Once both of these stop THEN we will become a small mill town club with a shoestring budget. If you think it's bad now ......

Parson , you usually are pretty straight on. However that team last night was devoid of any passion or determination . For the first time I actually left when the board went up as I was that disgusted in the team. Not a reality check , that was done when K""n was appointed.

I apologise about the away fan comments , I had it in my mind you were relegated last season & this was your 1st season at this level for a while, also given the current financial difficulties & with many people on holiday it was a decent effort, had it have been today I expect you would have broken the 2k mark.

Fair do's to you, i should prob apologise for jumping all over the subject as well. It's just that we get it all the time as Rovers fans. I like seeing teams like Doncaster doing well (not against us tho) you deserved the win and deserve to be were you are. Enjoy the jetski's :)

The worrying thing is that, at the moment, we are not living like a small mill town club on a shoestring budget. We are living like a club who, having been relegated recently from the Premier League, has parachute payments that dwarf the TV income of most of our rivals and have owners/banks/whoever that is currently covering big financial losses each month. Once both of these stop THEN we will become a small mill town club with a shoestring budget. If you think it's bad now ......

Oh yes we are, have you not realised we are trying to offload every single high earning player who has experience at the top level on free transfers?? Have you not seen the LT where our current highest ranking board member (the thought that he is gives me sleepless nights) twice last week wanted the whole country to know we had had no bids for Rhodes and Dann (our only assets that still could command any sort of fee). He certainly isn't doing it to reassure fans, he is telling people that they could potentially get a good price! We have shopped in the bargain basement and got in my opinion average championship players, just where we are at the moment.

With regards to the game, couldn't attend last night but not shocked that we couldn't defend balls into the box AGAIN and created ONE chance on target!

Perhaps the most discouraging rovers performance I’ve seen in a long time. The evening started well enough; dinner with friends then a picturesque walk by the lake to the ground. Then the game kicked off…

I’m not sure where to start with how bad we were. Talking of square pegs in round holes the impression I got was this team does not click. There is no cohesion in the team, very few of the players work well together.

Starting at the back Kean kept us in it with several good saves, before blundering on the cross for their second goal. Kept us in it, then killed the game off. Kane I thought was better than previously, and started brightly especially defensively before being overwhelmed. Same with Spurr.

On Spurr – he has far too much to do, being the only player out on the left who can cross well with his left foot. I’ve said it again we need left sided players on the left so they can more easily whip in crosses. Taylor on the left always had to cut back whilst Judge’s crosses from the left were overall poor. I’m not saying there isn’t a place for right sided players on the left cutting in, but not in our team. For this to work you need a target man to play one-twos with – not Rhodes. Not only that Rhodes thrives on crosses whipped in, which won’t be provided by players cutting inside.

Dann and Hanley. Hanley: big gaffe early on with his back pass that almost caused a goal. Both could’ve been marking tighter for their first goal. Granted it was a great ball in but if either of the centre halves were closer to the striker they may have put him off. Creatively they provided no impetus for the attack. Not a defender’s first priority, granted, but when the goal keeper plays it short so often – it becomes a big deal. Why do it if neither is capable of building an attack?

Midfield: Lowe – one of our better players, which isn’t saying much. Worked hard, and his passing was decent. Nothing spectacular but less of the hot potato we’ve seen in the past. Dunn and Cairney – basically the same player. Both added a bit to our passing, without defending well at all. Cairney wanted the ball, but often did little with it. And got a stupid booking after 10 minutes. When they say he can’t tackle what they mean is he’s a booking ready to happen. Dunn, a few Hollywood passes, but for the rest of the time a passenger.

Judge and Taylor. Taylor: utterly ineffective but tries hard. Judge is busy but his end product is poor. On Judge I’m not sure where he best plays. Definitely he’s not a left midfielder. Had to cut in too often or deliver weak balls into the box. Certainly one of our more influential performers but sadly there’s little end product with it.

Rhodes – isolated. Which given he doesn’t create chances himself or cause problems means he is a passenger. We can moan all we like about his other contribution, but there is an extent to which a striker relies on service – and the service is abysmal.

The subs: improved the game marginally. Probably the team they should have started with. King caused a few problems with his pace – but his end product and desire were worryingly absent. Best caused a few problems up front but like Rhodes got poor service. Evans showed a few decent runs but again had little impact.

Biggest worry: we cannot create good chances. Time after time, even when 2-0 down, we just passed the ball sideways along our defence. My coaching experience is limited to primary and secondary school but even we teach pass and move and triangles. None of that from Rovers. We had no creativity and no threat offensively. If you don’t create chances you don’t score. If you don’t score you don’t win. Worryingly I can’t see what we’re trying to do in attack, nor who can create chances on a regular basis, let alone score them.

We made Doncaster look like Brazil. Hopefully a bad day at the office. But many more of those days and we’ll be in another relegation battle. It was that bad.

But we have a squad with lots of Premier League experience and International players. The basic errors they are making are unforgivable and it could be that some of them think they are actually too good to play in the Championship. Hanley strutted around last night like he was Beckenbauer and several of his high profile colleagues did likewise. Last night was a real eye opener for me and several of our players should take a long hard look at themselves. Bowyer did pick up a poisoned chalice but with his post match comments he hasn't done himself any favours. I AM a realist but I expect better than what I saw last night.

Perhaps the most discouraging rovers performance I’ve seen in a long time. The evening started well enough; dinner with friends then a picturesque walk by the lake to the ground. Then the game kicked off…

I’m not sure where to start with how bad we were. Talking of square pegs in round holes the impression I got was this team does not click. There is no cohesion in the team, very few of the players work well together.

Starting at the back Kean kept us in it with several good saves, before blundering on the cross for their second goal. Kept us in it, then killed the game off. Kane I thought was better than previously, and started brightly especially defensively before being overwhelmed. Same with Spurr.

On Spurr – he has far too much to do, being the only player out on the left who can cross well with his left foot. I’ve said it again we need left sided players on the left so they can more easily whip in crosses. Taylor on the left always had to cut back whilst Judge’s crosses from the left were overall poor. I’m not saying there isn’t a place for right sided players on the left cutting in, but not in our team. For this to work you need a target man to play one-twos with – not Rhodes. Not only that Rhodes thrives on crosses whipped in, which won’t be provided by players cutting inside.

Dann and Hanley. Hanley: big gaffe early on with his back pass that almost caused a goal. Both could’ve been marking tighter for their first goal. Granted it was a great ball in but if either of the centre halves were closer to the striker they may have put him off. Creatively they provided no impetus for the attack. Not a defender’s first priority, granted, but when the goal keeper plays it short so often – it becomes a big deal. Why do it if neither is capable of building an attack?

Midfield: Lowe – one of our better players, which isn’t saying much. Worked hard, and his passing was decent. Nothing spectacular but less of the hot potato we’ve seen in the past. Dunn and Cairney – basically the same player. Both added a bit to our passing, without defending well at all. Cairney wanted the ball, but often did little with it. And got a stupid booking after 10 minutes. When they say he can’t tackle what they mean is he’s a booking ready to happen. Dunn, a few Hollywood passes, but for the rest of the time a passenger.

Judge and Taylor. Taylor: utterly ineffective but tries hard. Judge is busy but his end product is poor. On Judge I’m not sure where he best plays. Definitely he’s not a left midfielder. Had to cut in too often or deliver weak balls into the box. Certainly one of our more influential performers but sadly there’s little end product with it.

Rhodes – isolated. Which given he doesn’t create chances himself or cause problems means he is a passenger. We can moan all we like about his other contribution, but there is an extent to which a striker relies on service – and the service is abysmal.

The subs: improved the game marginally. Probably the team they should have started with. King caused a few problems with his pace – but his end product and desire were worryingly absent. Best caused a few problems up front but like Rhodes got poor service. Evans showed a few decent runs but again had little impact.

Biggest worry: we cannot create good chances. Time after time, even when 2-0 down, we just passed the ball sideways along our defence. My coaching experience is limited to primary and secondary school but even we teach pass and move and triangles. None of that from Rovers. We had no creativity and no threat offensively. If you don’t create chances you don’t score. If you don’t score you don’t win. Worryingly I can’t see what we’re trying to do in attack, nor who can create chances on a regular basis, let alone score them.

We made Doncaster look like Brazil. Hopefully a bad day at the office. But many more of those days and we’ll be in another relegation battle. It was that bad.

we are in a relegation battle until we have enough points to be safe, just depends when we reach that point, Easter is a long way off

We still get outmuscled over most of the pitch so the lesson about this league STILL hasn't been learned from last season. We have some who try harder but the signings are all lightweight. We stiill aren't physical enough for this Div .

Parson , you usually are pretty straight on. However that team last night was devoid of any passion or determination . For the first time I actually left when the board went up as I was that disgusted in the team. Not a reality check , that was done when K""n was appointed.

I wouldn't disagree we were poor Abbey. Let's be honest we were awful. Donny were very much like Dickov the player. Full of aggression and in your face football and we simply couldn't cope with it. Sadly, I'm not convinced our players are good enough to do any better in the face that style of football. Venky's have turned us into a very average Championship side and one that would seem to be very unstable financially. When you sign players who are free there is usually a reason they are free - namely they ain't that good. The point I was making about a reality check is that some fans still expect us to be challenging for promotion and it was clear from the performances in pre-season that we are mid-table standard at best.

Oh yes we are, have you not realised we are trying to offload every single high earning player who has experience at the top level on free transfers?? Have you not seen the LT where our current highest ranking board member (the thought that he is gives me sleepless nights) twice last week wanted the whole country to know we had had no bids for Rhodes and Dann (our only assets that still could command any sort of fee). He certainly isn't doing it to reassure fans, he is telling people that they could potentially get a good price! We have shopped in the bargain basement and got in my opinion average championship players, just where we are at the moment.

With regards to the game, couldn't attend last night but not shocked that we couldn't defend balls into the box AGAIN and created ONE chance on target!

Yes it's incredibly grim but it's not rock bottom. It 12/24 months time we will be still touting around anyone that can command a fee and won't be signing 10 journeymen to boost the squad.

No offence to Doncaster fans but over the course of the season I think you'll realise you won tonight because Blackburn are poor rather than because Doncaster are good. We've only won one away game this year.

Donny will be in the bottom five come the end of the season. They have a poor squad.

If Blackburn finish below Donny we'll be relegated.

I wouldn't disagree we were poor Abbey. Let's be honest we were awful. Donny were very much like Dickov the player. Full of aggression and in your face football and we simply couldn't cope with it. Sadly, I'm not convinced our players are good enough to do any better in the face that style of football. Venky's have turned us into a very average Championship side and one that would seem to be very unstable financially. When you sign players who are free there is usually a reason they are free - namely they ain't that good. The point I was making about a reality check is that some fans still expect us to be challenging for promotion and it was clear from the performances in pre-season that we are mid-table standard at best.

Loud n clear pal.. Still can't get over songs about ethuhuhu being a goliwog in this climate especially.

But we have a squad with lots of Premier League experience and International players. The basic errors they are making are unforgivable and it could be that some of them think they are actually too good to play in the Championship. Hanley strutted around last night like he was Beckenbauer and several of his high profile colleagues did likewise. Last night was a real eye opener for me and several of our players should take a long hard look at themselves. Bowyer did pick up a poisoned chalice but with his post match comments he hasn't done himself any favours. I AM a realist but I expect better than what I saw last night.

I agree with this, the players need to start earning their wages. Rhodes earns more than the whole Doncaster back 5 put together (and then some). Dann got beaten by a guy probably on 1/4 of what he makes. Until Rovers are actually on a level playing field with these championship clubs, I think we've got right to expect better - and that means questioning the management.

• Moderation Lead

Agree with Abbey's points about the songs, didn't hear them myself, but don't doubt they happened.

So many chanting 4-4-2, and showing their lack of knowledge. Thing is, GB IMO doesn't know his best team without Rochina in it....

Having been to the game I totally agree with you arbitro. Paul Dickov set his team up to play "in your face" football just like he used to when at Rovers. You don't have to be technically gifted to do that (just look at Robbie Savage!) but it is effective as it stops better players from dominating.

It's simply called getting the best out of what you have.

Pity, Bowyer can't see this basic principle.

Archived