BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Forum meeting, plus new website

AndyNeil

• Backroom

Thanks Stuart.

I don't know about whether or not the bubble creates the problem. Perhaps I'm a bit naive but all I ever do is park my car, somewhere reasonably secure, walk quietly to the ground and watch the match. 27 million people attended games in 2014/15 and I guess 26,995,000 do much the same thing!!!

I think there's an element of truth in what Stuart said. There's an element of 'Minority Influence' with bubble games where normally sensible people subconsciously are 'one with the crowd' and start acting like the few actual morons that are there. It's a mindset that spreads like a football chant haha.

More serious cases of this see a gathering crowd of respectable business people yelling at a suicidal person perched on a ledge to jump.

Frightening but fascinating!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, I come back to the point, we have a dwindling fan base - would those in the DE want to give up being next to the away fans to populate the BE Upper? Even if they did their numbers are such that they wouldn't go anywhere to having enough numbers to fill it.

If they went to the BE Lower it would help fill that space, but they are where they are because they want to be there!

Fair points, but I'd be promoting it in order to grow the numbers and build the atmosphere.

I'm sure we can all agree that something needs to change as Ewood is Deadwood at present. Just saying, I'm not going to move and accepting the status quo is short sighted.

I firmly believe change has to come from the fan base, because Venkys are absent landlords and that's not going to change!

Lambert mentioned again in the LET how he wants more fans behind the goal (BBE). I know it isn't his decision, but I found it quite interesting.

As a Darwen End ST holder who can barely get to games now I'm probably not best placed to comment on the atmosphere. However, I'd be reluctant to move unless I was guaranteed that I could stand in the BBE and there'd be a better atmosphere.

• Backroom

Lambert mentioned again in the LET how he wants more fans behind the goal (BBE). I know it isn't his decision, but I found it quite interesting.

As a Darwen End ST holder who can barely get to games now I'm probably not best placed to comment on the atmosphere. However, I'd be reluctant to move unless I was guaranteed that I could stand in the BBE and there'd be a better atmosphere.

There cannot legally be a guarantee, but if your sat on row 25 or back and not too centrally, you'll be able to stand no problem.

You're not guaranteed to stand in the DE so the BBE is no difference on that score.

I'm afraid that unless we get a major increase in attendance then any kind of improvement in home atmosphere needs to come from those of us left. The obvious move is to reduce the gaps between people and shifting the away fans to the upper tier.

The Jack Walker stand doesn't produce any noise, well aside from the decrumbing of blankets at full time and the tapping of flask lids on the back of the seat in front. There's no real audible sound from the family stand - unless you are in there. The Riverside usually only reacts to an incorrect offside flag so ultimately the chants tend to be from the ends or minorities grouped in corners. With the DE and BBE split (and seemingly widening sub-cultures) it's 'divide and conquer' in favour of the opposition.

I've made my suggestions but I'm sure the club and FF will read with interest any other suggestions. Other than closing the DE and making a block of unreserved seating in the BBE lower, I'm not sure what else can be done. The quality of opposition is what it is. Maybe we need to see if the influence of the drummer was a one off or if it can help.

The shouters seem to have left with the protests and those left seem to have prioritised watching rather than trying to generate an atmosphere, and will only react to goals or controversial moments. I'm sure there are plenty of self-starters between both ends, I say let's get them together.

You're not guaranteed to stand in the DE so the BBE is no difference on that score.

I'm afraid that unless we get a major increase in attendance then any kind of improvement in home atmosphere needs to come from those of us left. The obvious move is to reduce the gaps between people and shifting the away fans to the upper tier.

The Jack Walker stand doesn't produce any noise, well aside from the decrumbing of blankets at full time and the tapping of flask lids on the back of the seat in front. There's no real audible sound from the family stand - unless you are in there. The Riverside usually only reacts to an incorrect offside flag so ultimately the chants tend to be from the ends or minorities grouped in corners. With the DE and BBE split (and seemingly widening sub-cultures) it's 'divide and conquer' in favour of the opposition.

I've made my suggestions but I'm sure the club and FF will read with interest any other suggestions. Other than closing the DE and making a block of unreserved seating in the BBE lower, I'm not sure what else can be done. The quality of opposition is what it is. Maybe we need to see if the influence of the drummer was a one off or if it can help.

The shouters seem to have left with the protests and those left seem to have prioritised watching rather than trying to generate an atmosphere, and will only react to goals or controversial moments. I'm sure there are plenty of self-starters between both ends, I say let's get them together.

But the DE don't want to be in the BE - is it right to force that change?

Close the Riverside lol, move the cameras to that stand and make it out like the three new stands are relatively fuller!

Just a thought, none of us really want to move from where we have been for ages.

I suppose I would consider a move to JW if price was right and the strikers facility moved?

But the DE don't want to be in the BE - is it right to force that change?

Yes. I'm afraid it is. ^_^

There was a time when it was away fans only it was only opened due to the high attendances. Now there isn't we need to downsize.

Close the Riverside lol, move the cameras to that stand and make it out like the three new stands are relatively fuller!

Just a thought, none of us really want to move from where we have been for ages.

I suppose I would consider a move to JW if price was right and the strikers facility moved?

I've long thought that the cameras should be on the Riverside and move the majority to the JW. It would look so much better on TV and avoid the enbarrassment that is the departure lounge concourse at the front. I'd certainly move over - for the right price. The only reason to stay where I am is the friends around us. The view is a little restricted really.

• Backroom

Has anyone raised a point about the goal music?

Someone really needs to raise a point about the goal music.

Never liked it but it's been decent for atmosphere so far

There was a time when it was away fans only it was only opened due to the high attendances. Now there isn't we need to downsize.

I've long thought that the cameras should be on the Riverside and move the majority to the JW. It would look so much better on TV and avoid the enbarrassment that is the departure lounge concourse at the front. I'd certainly move over - for the right price. The only reason to stay where I am is the friends around us. The view is a little restricted really.

There we are then....give Accy the Riverside stand, move Rovers fans into the JW & BE, away fans in limited numbers in DE, win promotion & build the super stand that has a mock up in the board room to make a ground to be proud of!

Don't think that would work due to the risk of missiles, especially with kids in there.

However I do agree it might be time to move the family stand.

Currently W12 Jack Walker Upper is poorly populated and is slow to fill up for most matches. This could be made the Family Stand Area and priced appropriately.

This would free up the Blackburn End Upper to be made an unrestricted seating area for the singers and more vocal fans to go. They could encourage flags in here as well and try to promote a Blue Brigade attitude (similar to Celtic) and start generating a noisy lively atmosphere. BBE upper might be a better position for noise levels as well, as I feel that, as vocal as the supporters in there are, it doesn't always carry.

Something needs to be done before the match day experience starts driving people away in greater numbers.

I have my season ticket in the DE and there's no way i'd move to any upper tier.

The Darwen End has always been opened for as long as I can remember. As far as i can tell, the home section it is as full as the Blackburn End is tonight. Apart from the Riverside, every part of the ground suffers from the lack of home fans.

The atmosphere tonight was excellent.

Drummer in the DE?

I'd just add though that the refrains of Danny Grahan scores when he wants were diluted by the fact that separate chants when up by BBE and DE respectively. It halved the potential noise levels. For me, we definitely need the two to join forces.

Together Everyone Achieves More!

The Darwen End has always been opened for as long as I can remember. As far as i can tell, the home section it is as full as the Blackburn End is tonight. Apart from the Riverside, every part of the ground suffers from the lack of home fans.

It was only re-opened to home fans in the 'Taking back Ewood' era. Around 2006 time, it was away fans only.

Apart from the Riverside? It was about a third full tonight...

I remember when Ince was here there were a few games like Reading, Fulham 3pm and mighty Boro on a Sat tea time Sky game. Non of them brought more than 600 and it looked quite ridiculous with these little huddles in the middle of the DE with vast blocks of empties.

I'm sure the players prefer when kicking that way, taking corners etc if there is 500+ home fans in one bit of that end rather than a huge blue void.

The atmosphere tonight was excellent.

Drummer in the DE?

I'd just add though that the refrains of Danny Grahan scores when he wants were diluted by the fact that separate chants when up by BBE and DE respectively. It halved the potential noise levels. For me, we definitely need the two to join forces.

Together Everyone Achieves More!

yes, the drummer was in the DE tonight. He wasn't as enthusiastic as last week, though (although he was right at the top).

You seem to forget just why Ben started a small group to go into the DE and that was because the atmosphere had disappeared for many in the BBE. I was in there for last week's game against Boro and, apart from small sections trying to get things going, the atmosphere hasn't improved. When Graham scored tonight, he ran towards the DE/Riverside to celebrate his goal and appreciated the vocal support that he got. If you want to be together, we're always looking for more vocal support in the Darwen End.

yes, the drummer was in the DE tonight. He wasn't as enthusiastic as last week, though (although he was right at the top).

You seem to forget just why Ben started a small group to go into the DE and that was because the atmosphere had disappeared for many in the BBE. I was in there for last week's game against Boro and, apart from small sections trying to get things going, the atmosphere hasn't improved. When Graham scored tonight, he ran towards the DE/Riverside to celebrate his goal and appreciated the vocal support that he got. If you want to be together, we're always looking for more vocal support in the Darwen End.

Of course, Graham scored at that end of the pitch though.

It's not about ones and twos though, if the whole DE mass was slotted into the BBE displacing some fans I'm afraid (through an unreserved seating block) then I honestly think we would have much louder support. It was definitely noticeable that the ground didn't unite with the Danny Graham chant and it was out of sync.

while we're talking about whether sections should be closed, surely the more pressing problem is how to get more supporters back into the ground.

Goes without saying, Barry. But how?

Goes without saying, Barry. But how?

Only one way to get supporters back Stuart and that's to get back into the Premier League. Even when Kenny and Ray arrived under Jack, attendances didn't improve dramatically until we had won promotion and then became a successful top flight club. It's crucial that Lambert is backed in the summer to build on the foundations which are now in place. Success on the pitch is the only way to get more fans back.

Attendances have been an issue ever since i can remember.

From memory only, in the 1st promotion season, crowds steadily increased for 11,000 to 12,000 then around 15,000.

There was a spell in the Prem where we struggled to get between 17000 and 19000 home fans.

Apart from a few successful seasons, the home crowd has barely topped 20,000 constantly.

That's not a criticism, it's where we are.

We could offer free tickets to everyone, and we'd still struggle to fill the home ends.

Archived