BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Forum meeting, plus new website

AndyNeil

I think we already in the situation this is being done due to limited police resources as a result of cuts in funding no doubt.

If we get in to the Prem, the Police will be looking to make a large portion of our games early kick offs. Its a ridiculous situation.

This is the problem as they've done it with PNE, Leeds and were going to do it with Bolton as well until TV switched it. Next season you could be looking at half a dozen games like that if the likes of Villa and one of the North East clubs drop and maybe the likes of Sheff Weds are doing really well.

I can't stand early KO's and it often makes it difficult to attend for me and it certainly doesn't help the home attendance any. We are doing it quite simply to accommodate other teams fans. Ridiculous.

Let the police cut their allocations to 5k starting with the upper tier filled first and use some brain power to find a way around charging them more. Other clubs do it so sod em, why should Blackburn be other clubs big cheap day out now that Wigan have gone.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what would be so wrong with having the family stand in the Darwen End lower tier - where the away fans go now - and moving away fans into the upper tier? The kids can then have access to the pitchside (should they wish) and also they can go as high as they want to view the game.

only somebody who either doesn't have kids or doesn't take kids would think this is a good idea...how do we put off 6,7 and 8 year old going to future games? I know lets put them underneath 500 - 3000 blokes on an away day :blink: plus the Strikers room is located in the top tier of the Blackburn End as well. IF the club are determined to close any parts of the ground to save money/bunch fans up together, why not close the Darwen End side of the Jack Walker stand (top and bottom) except for games were the Darwen End is handed over to the away fans?

It was alluded to at the Tea Party and in the LET around the same time.

Particular referred to making it 'them vs us, a siege mentality'.

Reiterated in his latest Rovers player interview.

Wants more people in the BBE to help the atmosphere and suck the ball in.

Can we ditch the drummer already? The new guy ain't got no rhythm.

Far worse than his predecessor, and that was unthinkable.

Between now and the end of the season Rovers have 6 home games - against Birmingham, Leeds, Preston, Huddersfield, Bristol City and Reading. Out of those only two of them are Saturday 3pm kick offs. Preston and Leeds have been moved to lunchtime games, Birmingham is tonight and Reading was always an early kick off.

To put into perspective, I like to catch Accrington Stanley games whenever possible. Between now and the end of the season I will be able to watch more Stanley home 3pm games than I will at Ewood as a Rovers season ticket holder. Plymouth on Saturday, Leyton Orient on Good Friday, Cambridge after the Preston game on 2nd April, and Stevenage on the final day of the season after we have finished against Reading.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that as a Rovers season ticket holder I will see more Stanley 3pm kick offs than I will Rovers before the end of the season.

Just following on from that point, by the end of the season we have played 23 home league games this season, not including West Ham and Shrewsbury in the cup competitions.

Out of those 23 games, games against Cardiff, Bolton, Derby, Burnley, Rotherham, Nottingham Forest, Queens Park Rangers, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Leeds, Preston and Reading have all taken place outside the traditional 3pm on Saturday.

So only 10 of our 23 home games have been at the sensible and traditional 3pm Saturday.

I appreciate that some have been moved due to FA Cup or live TV games, and that some were always listed for midweek in line with everyone else in the league, but its still a fairly shocking statistic that well over half our games are taking place at unusual times/dates.

How many have been moved from their original date/time? Middlesbrough, Leeds, Preston, Burnley, Bolton, Forest, Rotherham - off the top of my head - might be more.

Stuart show me where I have insisted these arrangements should remain in place? I don't mean your version I want a direct quote of my words. I've read back every post I've made on this matter and I've said nothing of the sort. You are wrong.

What I have said is while incidents such as the window smashing and smashed seats occur the authorities are going to use this to justify the continuation of the bubble. I understand why the authorities feel this is justification for continuing with the bubble. I do not think they are correct, the bubble should never have been introduced, it should not have been in place this weekend and should not be used in the future. The problem is that if a section of fans act in a way which justifies the bubble, in the authorities' eyes, it will remain.

Paul, if I have misrepresented you, I apologise.

I still believe however that the bubble causes the problems that the authorities believes it prevents.

Like an East Lancs version of Catch-22.

Just following on from that point, by the end of the season we have played 23 home league games this season, not including West Ham and Shrewsbury in the cup competitions.

Out of those 23 games, games against Cardiff, Bolton, Derby, Burnley, Rotherham, Nottingham Forest, Queens Park Rangers, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Leeds, Preston and Reading have all taken place outside the traditional 3pm on Saturday.

So only 10 of our 23 home games have been at the sensible and traditional 3pm Saturday.

I appreciate that some have been moved due to FA Cup or live TV games, and that some were always listed for midweek in line with everyone else in the league, but its still a fairly shocking statistic that well over half our games are taking place at unusual times/dates.

How many have been moved from their original date/time? Middlesbrough, Leeds, Preston, Burnley, Bolton, Forest, Rotherham - off the top of my head - might be more.

A very good point, and one that should be directly taken up with the club. When you embark on the expense of a ST, you should rightfully expect a decent proportion of games will take place at 3pm on a Saturday?

In the family stand, I have kids activities on a Saturday morning that I also pay up front for.- my kid's lesson finishes at 11.30 in Clitheroe - no time to shower, straight to the game and a rush to park up and get in - nobody seems to consider the fans. Sign of the times.

what would be so wrong with having the family stand in the Darwen End lower tier - where the away fans go now - and moving away fans into the upper tier? The kids can then have access to the pitchside (should they wish) and also they can go as high as they want to view the game.

Almost everything

Paul, if I have misrepresented you, I apologise.

I still believe however that the bubble causes the problems that the authorities believes it prevents.

Like an East Lancs version of Catch-22.

Thanks Stuart.

I don't know about whether or not the bubble creates the problem. Perhaps I'm a bit naive but all I ever do is park my car, somewhere reasonably secure, walk quietly to the ground and watch the match. 27 million people attended games in 2014/15 and I guess 26,995,000 do much the same thing!!!

This is the problem as they've done it with PNE, Leeds and were going to do it with Bolton as well until TV switched it. Next season you could be looking at half a dozen games like that if the likes of Villa and one of the North East clubs drop and maybe the likes of Sheff Weds are doing really well.

I can't stand early KO's and it often makes it difficult to attend for me and it certainly doesn't help the home attendance any. We are doing it quite simply to accommodate other teams fans. Ridiculous.

Let the police cut their allocations to 5k starting with the upper tier filled first and use some brain power to find a way around charging them more. Other clubs do it so sod em, why should Blackburn be other clubs big cheap day out now that Wigan have gone.

Absolutely. As someone else said, this it what happens when we haven't got a functioning management structure. There's no one in there fighting for the Club and protecting its interests.

As O2G referred to earlier a key issue is police resources. It is easier and cheaper for them to herd folk on buses than provide wider police coverage for which they do not have either the manpower nor the volunteers to come in and cover football games. I am afraid this will get worse not better and many kick-off times, ground and travel restrictions will dictated by police funding.

As O2G referred to earlier a key issue is police resources. It is easier and cheaper for them to herd folk on buses than provide wider police coverage for which they do not have either the manpower nor the volunteers to come in and cover football games. I am afraid this will get worse not better and many kick-off times, ground and travel restrictions will dictated by police funding.

For me it's a safety thing as the police have a duty of care to the public and by and large the bubble guarantees this. In 2000 if you recall the Burnley fans rioted in their own backyard and that would have needed massive police resource.

On the subject of the police I spoke to a few on Saturday (and Burnley stewards too) and found them good humoured and friendly. They were as low key as they could possibly be given the circumstances.

Don't think that would work due to the risk of missiles, especially with kids in there.

However I do agree it might be time to move the family stand.

Currently W12 Jack Walker Upper is poorly populated and is slow to fill up for most matches. This could be made the Family Stand Area and priced appropriately.

This would free up the Blackburn End Upper to be made an unrestricted seating area for the singers and more vocal fans to go. They could encourage flags in here as well and try to promote a Blue Brigade attitude (similar to Celtic) and start generating a noisy lively atmosphere. BBE upper might be a better position for noise levels as well, as I feel that, as vocal as the supporters in there are, it doesn't always carry.

Something needs to be done before the match day experience starts driving people away in greater numbers.

I don't want to name names as it wouldn't be fair, but I have been assured by both a senior police officer and a senior football league official that talks have begun about ending the 'bubble' policing of the Rovers v Burnley fixture. As one of them did add though, it is ironic that such talks should commence now as we might not even be playing each other for a year or two anyway!

To be honest I think it will get to the point when more and more supporters decide it's no longer worth the bother. I know a number who missed the game this year for the first time - and I'm talking about guys in their sixties who would never have considered missing this game in the past.

I didnt go to the game because of the travel arrangements.

I can understand the police side of the argument BUT for me, I feel like I'm treating like crimical/thug for no proper reasons. I dont have a crimical record.

Plus it would Only take me 30 mins to get the Burnley game so why do I need to be at Ewood Park 2/3 hours before kick off.

When I went to the Preston game, we have 5k fans there and they wasnt any trouble at all. Plus I didnt see any trouble in Preston after the game.

Don't think that would work due to the risk of missiles, especially with kids in there.

Currently W12 Jack Walker Upper is poorly populated and is slow to fill up for most matches. This could be made the Family Stand Area and priced appropriately.

This would free up the Blackburn End Upper to be made an unrestricted seating area for the singers and more vocal fans to go. They could encourage flags in here as well and try to promote a Blue Brigade attitude (similar to Celtic) and start generating a noisy lively atmosphere. BBE upper might be a better position for noise levels as well, as I feel that, as vocal as the supporters in there are, it doesn't always carry.

Something needs to be done before the match day experience starts driving people away in greater numbers.

lot of people like me who like the family stand exactly where it is now. I don't have any kids and could sit anywhere but I've tried the outer bit of the jw upper and it's blooming awful. Not even appropriate pricing would persuade me. I used to sit there for free when I took school groups and hated it. I know there are those who love the area of the ground they sit in too, but nobody ever suggests moving any areas except darwen ens lower and family stand. Why always us?

but nobody ever suggests moving any areas except darwen ens lower and family stand. Why always us?

maybe because these are the least populated areas of the ground?

* that's sounds sarcastic, but it definitely wasn't the intention...

maybe a sign that the Family Stand will be open next season >> http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/blackburn-rovers-family-stand-2995712.aspx

I don't want to name names as it wouldn't be fair, but I have been assured by both a senior police officer and a senior football league official that talks have begun about ending the 'bubble' policing of the Rovers v Burnley fixture. As one of them did add though, it is ironic that such talks should commence now as we might not even be playing each other for a year or two anyway!

Trying it is the only wall they'll ever know although I suppose they might have to shut the boozers in each town just to be on the safe side. The main problem in 2000 was idiots spilling out of town centre pubs and trying to come down to the Rovers coaches whilst the normal match goers were making their way back. Police trying to force the idiots back and I think some innocent got tramped on with a horse or something and off it all went.

Most other towns it would have been a skirmish then blown over but it being dingleville and basically all the same dna you get a good old fashioned full scale all night riot.

I dont want noisy kids near me in the JW Upper, I quite like having my pick of 150 empty seats and being able to put my feet out on the seat in front ; )

maybe a sign that the Family Stand will be open next season >> http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/blackburn-rovers-family-stand-2995712.aspx

Credit where its due to Myers, etc I think that's a good idea and another step in the right direction. I'd have loved to have my picture taken in the 'new signing' mock up as a little'un. It's the little things like that to hopefully bite some of the youngsters with the Rovers bug.

I for one sing in the family stand on the rare occasions the BE lower get going!

I don't think it's where in the ground you are, there aren't enough people going, full stop.

I do think there needs to be a re-think as to what to do with a ground where it is currently less than half full most games.

The Strikers lounge is always well populated before the match and is a good idea in my view - not sure they could simply move it?

Time for the club to involve the fans - but that involves someone taking the initiative.

At the very least they should stop pandering to certain clubs and allowing them to have the entire DE!

lot of people like me who like the family stand exactly where it is now. I don't have any kids and could sit anywhere but I've tried the outer bit of the jw upper and it's blooming awful. Not even appropriate pricing would persuade me. I used to sit there for free when I took school groups and hated it. I know there are those who love the area of the ground they sit in too, but nobody ever suggests moving any areas except darwen ens lower and family stand. Why always us?

I use the family stand when I take my lad. Great view, but poorly populated and not much atmosphere generated.

Sadly I don't think the status quo can continue and new ideas need to be tried. Ultimately no one likes change, but the BBEU is a prime spot and if moving ment turning It into a cauldron of noise, that lifts the home support and inspires the team, I'd be willing to accept it.

Ewood is drowning in apathy and We shouldn't just wait for the football to improve to get our mojo back. Being vocal, contesting decisions and being positive towards the team is a habit and a lot of supporters are loosing that habit.

We need to start being the 12th man again.

I use the family stand when I take my lad. Great view, but poorly populated and not much atmosphere generated.

Sadly I don't think the status quo can continue and new ideas need to be tried. Ultimately no one likes change, but the BBEU is a prime spot and if moving ment turning It into a cauldron of noise, that lifts the home support and inspires the team, I'd be willing to accept it.

Ewood is drowning in apathy and We shouldn't just wait for the football to improve to get our mojo back. Being vocal, contesting decisions and being positive towards the team is a habit and a lot of supporters are loosing that habit.

But, I come back to the point, we have a dwindling fan base - would those in the DE want to give up being next to the away fans to populate the BE Upper? Even if they did their numbers are such that they wouldn't go anywhere to having enough numbers to fill it.

If they went to the BE Lower it would help fill that space, but they are where they are because they want to be there!

I for one sing in the family stand on the rare occasions the BE lower get going!

I don't think it's where in the ground you are, there aren't enough people going, full stop.

I do think there needs to be a re-think as to what to do with a ground where it is currently less than half full most games.

The Strikers lounge is always well populated before the match and is a good idea in my view - not sure they could simply move it?

Time for the club to involve the fans - but that involves someone taking the initiative.

At the very least they should stop pandering to certain clubs and allowing them to have the entire DE!

Er we sing every match

It's not drowning in apathy.. It's drowning in the Venky virus .

That's brilliant. We need to make as much of the experience of coming to Ewood a positive one for the kids, and I feel this is a nice touch. Good work!

Archived