BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fans Forum meeting, plus new website

AndyNeil

What makes you think Villa would fetch enough to fill the Darwen End? I can remember them only bringing a couple of thousand for a Premier League fixture.

Would you not agree that the existing Darwen Ender's be asked their views with regard to moving?

I don't want to move and think that our proximity to the away fans INCREASES the atmosphere by virtue of the chanting "banter" being in close proximity to the away support. Regardless I wouldn't want to return to the Blackburn End. It's not what it once was and the last time I had to sit in it due to being moved the atmosphere was rubbish.

It will depend on how Villa are doing and when we play them but yes they could easily given the right circumstances.

Of course the fans in the Darwen End should be consulted. One of the leading lights in the DE is a member of the Forum so am sure will be having his say.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

I think the darwen end needs closing to home fans myself, there isn't enough in there for it to make sense, it looks empty and you can no longer hear them from across the way apart from the odd occasion.

It was a good experiment and let to some good fan initiatives but I think it's had its day now personally.

Maybe try and make a section in either end of the BBE unreserved although it wouldn't go down well with the displaced people from the BBE or the DE.

I'd agree with that tbh, especially given the downturn in attendances. When fans from that end have been moved for big away followings I've seen a lot going to the JW Lower by the DE, close enough to garner some atmosphere and engage in banter with the away end!

In addition to BlueMonday's points - I have raised with one of the forum members (and do so again here).

Why is the North End match 12.30pm kick off - "on police advice" seems such a cop out. We do seem to readily roll over and do whatever anyone else tells us - are Lancashire Police happy to admit they struggle to deal with any numbers? Is there a cost to the club if kick off time does not move?

As an aside on the Darwen End - if it was to shut for home fans (Ive no idea on the accuracy of that report) but would the club consider shifting the away fans to the top tier - out of sight out of mind. Someone suggested on here years ago - I thought it was a great idea then too!

It is very unlikely the Darwen End will be closed.

Also how bad will it look with 200 fans from Brighton in there on a Tuesday night. The club like having fans in there and rightly so, there is no reason for the club to upset some of the remaining supporters they have left by moving them un-necessarily.

The whole 'move to the Blackburn End' argument won't work either as people would be scattered around the stadium, losing a vital vocal element that exists within the ground.

Rather than look to close areas of the ground we should be thinking of ways to increase attendances to fill areas like the Darwen End section. If that quadrant was close to being full for every home game the atmosphere would be far better.

Shutting down areas of the stadium at a time when the manager wants to push for promotion doesn't seem to be the right idea to me. We need to be increasing gates up towards 15,000.

Fully agree JHRover... infact there is a supporter led initiative at present which targets the Huddersfield game to increase numbers in the Darwen End & increase the noise level.

We saw what 2,000 like minded fans could do on Saturday and there are roughly this amount of unreserved seats in the Darwen End for this to happen

In terms of removing the bubble, whilst the police resources are stretched as thinly as they are it's always going to be difficult to change anything. However, I believe that the best chance to address it would involve fan groups on both Rovers and Burnley sides getting together to jointly discuss the art of the possible, and demonstrate that both sets of fans are equally fed up and are determined enough to work together. It would also create peer pressure on both sides in that any fans stepping out of line will be undermining their own fans as well as Rovers. We need to find a way to make it 90 minutes of rivalry and then be able to leave it on the ground.

Rivals, Not Enemies.

I also think that the idea of all away fans being given the DE upper - even if it means leaving the lower tier empty - has to work in our favour. Flags could easily be draped over the lower tier seats. But even without I'm minded of the pictures of Rovers fans in the Gods at MK Dons of all places so it can be done. Personally I think that Lambert will want this - especially if it means compacting the home supporters. But I think they need to make real attempts to group the singers together - probably in N01.

A bus was bricked on Saturday. Now I know this is minor but it happened outside the ground despite the bubble.

Have as many fan groups as you wish but while busses get bricked the bubble will remain. Peer pressure isn't sufficient to prevent this because any decent fan knows how to behave. It's the fans who don't know how to or don't want to behave properly who are the problem. Anyone wanting to apply "peer pressure" to them is going to need a lot of luck.

Personally I've no concerns over driving to Turf Moor and walking to the ground just like 99% of Rovers fans. It's the 1% that are the problem.

I'd like the FF to raise the issue of the current arrangements for wheelchair bound users at Ewood. Presently they are on the concrete in front of the Walkersteel Stand, where their viewing position is pitch-level (at best), they have no roof, so get soaked when it rains (or worse), and are not even behind any barriers to give them protection from the cold.

It's about time the club looked at better arrangements for these fans. Most modern stadiums now have dedicated areas halfway up the stand so these fans have a decent view, and are more part of the atmosphere.

Given our stadium is rarely full, surely the club could look again at what could be done, even if it's sacrificing a few seats in the process.

A bus was bricked on Saturday. Now I know this is minor but it happened outside the ground despite the bubble.

Have as many fan groups as you wish but while busses get bricked the bubble will remain. Peer pressure isn't sufficient to prevent this because any decent fan knows how to behave. It's the fans who don't know how to or don't want to behave properly who are the problem. Anyone wanting to apply "peer pressure" to them is going to need a lot of luck.

Personally I've no concerns over driving to Turf Moor and walking to the ground just like 99% of Rovers fans. It's the 1% that are the problem.

You understand the expression: shooting fish in a barrel, Paul?

But by the sounds of it, it would appear you are happy with the bubble arrangements. There are a heck of a lot of fans who aren't. This bubble trouble is self-fulfilling in my view.

By the way, people who want to travel on the official coaches still can. The issue is lack of choice and human beings being treated like criminals/livestock.

I'd like the FF to raise the issue of the current arrangements for wheelchair bound users at Ewood. Presently they are on the concrete in front of the Walkersteel Stand, where their viewing position is pitch-level (at best), they have no roof, so get soaked when it rains (or worse), and are not even behind any barriers to give them protection from the cold.

It's about time the club looked at better arrangements for these fans. Most modern stadiums now have dedicated areas halfway up the stand so these fans have a decent view, and are more part of the atmosphere.

Given our stadium is rarely full, surely the club could look again at what could be done, even if it's sacrificing a few seats in the process.

A refurbished Riverside, with new roof and Wigan style platforms could be possible. Stanley are investing in a new ground so it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for us/Venkys. Id be prepared to move if the quid pro quo was that the pillars were gone. Win-win-win.

In terms of removing the bubble, whilst the police resources are stretched as thinly as they are it's always going to be difficult to change anything. However, I believe that the best chance to address it would involve fan groups on both Rovers and Burnley sides getting together to jointly discuss the art of the possible, and demonstrate that both sets of fans are equally fed up and are determined enough to work together. It would also create peer pressure on both sides in that any fans stepping out of line will be undermining their own fans as well as Rovers. We need to find a way to make it 90 minutes of rivalry and then be able to leave it on the ground.

Rivals, Not Enemies.

Excellent idea. Getting a joint group together is the only way to resolve this. Ok no one can guarentee that the 1% may find a way to embarrass both club and football and it may mean extra police strength and not just police control but its 2016 and this has gone on long enough. Raise money through extra secure parking to pay towards extra security. I don't know if these group could raise the profile now but there must be people out there with ideas that at least mean the two clubs can start talking at fan level.

Cut me and I bleed blue & white but I love football and like many down the M65 would love to see both grounds full the next time (I know!) these massive Lancashire clubs compete in the same league. Agree, Rivals not Enemies.

I've often thought that Baz.

However, I don't think the ground has even been painted in years, so building better disabled facilities seems a long way off.

To remove the bottom 4 or 5 rows of the last block of the riverside at the BB end, put in a raised platform with a ramp up to it, and add a small roof to that specific area could provide an area for a dozen wheelchairs.

I don't know how that would work from a health and safety point of view, but it shouldn't cost too much, and you'd only need to relocate the St John Ambulance people who sit there at the moment.

Im not really thinking of rebuilding the riverside.

Any new Riverside WILL include modern disabled platforms under cover. But highly unlikely this would happen until we had the cash via promotion to the PL.

As for relocations, the one notable lack of suggestion is the Family Stand. Wouldn't kids be better at pitch level and accessible to players pre-match for autographs, photo's etc?

The bus wasn't bricked, it was Rovers fans themselves who smashed the windows on a bus, it happened by banging and kicking the windows when exchanging words with Burnley fans.

• Backroom

Any new Riverside WILL include modern disabled platforms under cover. But highly unlikely this would happen until we had the cash via promotion to the PL.

As for relocations, the one notable lack of suggestion is the Family Stand. Wouldn't kids be better at pitch level and accessible to players pre-match for autographs, photo's etc?

There's facilities in place within the structure of the Blackburn end for kids pre match and during the match. Plus if you are aiming it at kids they are less exposed to the elements up there. Although I did used to like the family stand when it was top right in the walkersteel

I doubt there will be any closures just yet but you have to think with Lamberts comments and logically if anything the darwen end would be the first to go for home fans.

The bus wasn't bricked, it was Rovers fans themselves who smashed the windows on a bus, it happened by banging and kicking the windows when exchanging words with Burnley fans.

Just goes to prove I shouldn't jump to conclusions and the bubble is obviously needed if we have Rovers fans prepared to smash bus windows just hurl abuse at Burnley supporters. What would these people have done if not constrained on a bus?

Just goes to prove I shouldn't jump to conclusions and the bubble is obviously needed if we have Rovers fans prepared to smash bus windows just hurl abuse at Burnley supporters. What would these people have done if not constrained on a bus?

Run off probably.

But by the sounds of it, it would appear you are happy with the bubble arrangements. There are a heck of a lot of fans who aren't. This bubble trouble is self-fulfilling in my view.

By the way, people who want to travel on the official coaches still can. The issue is lack of choice and human beings being treated like criminals/livestock.

I'm not sure where that expression fits but that's irrelevant.

No I'm not happy with the bubble arrangements and I refuse to go to Turf Moor under those circumstances. The last time I went with Tom the conditions in the concourse area were so appalling the stand should be closed down as it was, I presume still is, fundamentally unsafe. On that occasion an incident would have resulted in multiple deaths. Tom and I had no option other than to sit freezing in the stand for an hour before kick off.

Secondly I refuse to allow Rovers, Burnley or the authorities to dictate how I chose to travel to a football match.

On Saturday I was fortunate to get an invitation to the match which meant I didn't have to suffer the indignity of the bubble. Without the invite I wouldn't have gone.

However the post above proves Rovers fans can't behave on a bus. What would have happened on the street?

You favour using peer pressure to solve the issue. On Saturday would you have stopped those fans from smashing the bus window and handed them to the police? Because that is the type of action that's needed.

A refurbished Riverside, with new roof and Wigan style platforms could be possible. Stanley are investing in a new ground so it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for us/Venkys. Id be prepared to move if the quid pro quo was that the pillars were gone. Win-win-win.

To be honest it feels more like being treated as royalty ... they close all the motorway junctions as you approach them and allow the coaches to drive on the opposite side of the road to avoid queuing with the 'proles'! On a more serious note I think the impending unregulated PNE game will be a good barometer of what the Dingles game would be like without the bubble.

You clearly do want the bubble despite having the option to still use the official coaches - which is a bit odd.

But tomphil is right. Without being 8 feet off the ground and protected by the bus window (or so they thought) they wouldn't have been behaving like that and would likely have been far more civilised, and probably cautious.

It's a little like the Derren Brown experiment with the masked audience making decisions regarding the treatment of an actor. If people think they are anonymous or protected, particularly in groups, they will behave differently than they would if they were accountable. Much like messageboards ironically.

To be honest it feels more like being treated as royalty ... they close all the motorway junctions as you approach them and allow the coaches to drive on the opposite side of the road to avoid queuing with the 'proles'! On a more serious note I think the impending unregulated PNE game will be a good barometer of what the Dingles game would be like without the bubble.

No issues at Deepdale.

No issues for the cup replay in '05

I'm not sure where that expression fits but that's irrelevant.

No I'm not happy with the bubble arrangements and I refuse to go to Turf Moor under those circumstances. The last time I went with Tom the conditions in the concourse area were so appalling the stand should be closed down as it was, I presume still is, fundamentally unsafe. On that occasion an incident would have resulted in multiple deaths. Tom and I had no option other than to sit freezing in the stand for an hour before kick off.

Secondly I refuse to allow Rovers, Burnley or the authorities to dictate how I chose to travel to a football match.

On Saturday I was fortunate to get an invitation to the match which meant I didn't have to suffer the indignity of the bubble. Without the invite I wouldn't have gone.

However the post above proves Rovers fans can't behave on a bus. What would have happened on the street?

You favour using peer pressure to solve the issue. On Saturday would you have stopped those fans from smashing the bus window and handed them to the police? Because that is the type of action that's needed.

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. However, I wish I hadn't.

You seem to be suggesting that the bubble is ok for most fans but not for you. Your concern for your own dignity betrays a belittling of your fellow fan by a distinct lack of concern for his/her dignity. I think the technical term is snobbery and your post suggests that you think the bubble serves to keep the riffraff away from you. Have you thought of a different spectator sport?

In reality the vast majority of your fellow Rovers fans - who did have to suffer the indignity of the bubble (because of the concerns you yourself are raising - please tell me you see the irony) despite being no less deserving that you or Tom.

Very disappointed with your post, Paul, I have to say.

Archived