BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lee Williamson

rovers11

If Dunn's goal last season gets him a new contract, how long should Williamson's new contract be?

To those saying he cheated, if he had let Ings run would you be happy or would you be fuming?

To those saying it is a modern thing, do you think the old players would have let him run. Ings probably would have left the pitch on a stretcher.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those saying it is a modern thing, do you think the old players would have let him run. Ings probably would have left the pitch on a stretcher.

Not saying it's a modern idea to bring someone down but it's a modern thing to get sent off for it. The 'goal scoring opportunity' angle has only been around in recent times. Back in the day he would have been given a yellow for unsporting conduct.

Professional fouls like this are now part of the game. Obi Mikel made a very cynical trip on an Everton player yesterday - think it was Barry - no-one would complain he wasn't doing his job. It just looks like cheating to fans who expect players to step aside and say 'after you'.

Not saying it's a modern idea to bring someone down but it's a modern thing to get sent off for it. The 'goal scoring opportunity' angle has only been around in recent times. Back in the day he would have been given a yellow for unsporting conduct.

Sorry misunderstood.

Its still early.

If Dunn's goal last season gets him a new contract, how long should Williamson's new contract be?

To those saying he cheated, if he had let Ings run would you be happy or would you be fuming?

I've been in that situation before. You just let the guy get in front of you slightly and then tap his trailing leg into his standing leg. Down like a bag of kean and nobody gets hurt. It was usually a booking but never a sending off in the old days. For those with a long memory the Willie Young " challenge " on the West Ham kid in the cup final years ago led to a change in the rules.

I'd expect any player that I was managing to do exactly what Williamson did yesterday.

I've been in that situation before. You just let the guy get in front of you slightly and then tap his trailing leg into his standing leg. Down like a bag of kean and nobody gets hurt. It was usually a booking but never a sending off in the old days. For those with a long memory the Willie Young " challenge " on the West Ham kid in the cup final years ago led to a change in the rules.

I'd expect any player that I was managing to do exactly what Williamson did yesterday.

Spot on. As a defensive player it is expected that in that position you take one from the team.

Would he had been sent off if he took him out in the Burnley half?

What Wiliamson did was briliant. took one for the team.

what the ref did, blowing up to book someone, when Rhodes was clear, was diabolical.

To defend the ref, on the tv replay, the linesman's flag was up for offside anyway! Wasn't for Rhodes but another Rovers player running back.

To defend the ref, on the tv replay, the linesman's flag was up for offside anyway! Wasn't for Rhodes but another Rovers player running back.

Which actually caused the problem. The player running back wasn't interfering and cannot be considered offside. The linesman made a rick, the ref possibly gave the free kick because of the offside flag.

Officials should be fined for such garbage decisions.

I meant that the linesman will raise his flag if someone is offside but if that player doesn't touch the ball then the ref will ignore it.

The ref is in no position to see who was off side. He'd stop the play when he saw the flag.

Which actually caused the problem. The player running back wasn't interfering and cannot be considered offside. The linesman made a rick, the ref possibly gave the free kick because ofg with the offside flag.

Officials should be fined for such garbage decisions.

the player ran towards the ball then past it so the linesman probably raised his flag as King approached the ball. King caused the problem by moving towards the ball. The linesman could deem him interfering with play if the ref hadn't called the play back.

Watch again, the play in question was in the penalty area running out direct towards the ball and passes Rhodes going in the other direction so which game were you watching?

I wish I'd recorded the game.

I rewound several times to the replay of this incident and he was heading nowhere near the ball. He was running back onside virtually parallel to the direction of the ball - which went straight towards Rhodes.

You may be trying to be objective or something but you are wrong on this one.

I wish I'd recorded the game.

I rewound several times to the replay of this incident and he was heading nowhere near the ball. He was running back onside virtually parallel to the direction of the ball - which went straight towards Rhodes.

You may be trying to be objective or something but you are wrong on this one.

Did he approach the play? Yes. The linesman was right to raise the flag. We have to agree to disagree. Just goes to show the new offside rule is crap.

He can only be off-side in this situation if he gains an advantage i.e. he touches the ball. I was at the game so I haven't seen a replay but in the circumstances described on here if the assistant flagged King off-side he was wrong in law.

Did he approach the play? Yes. The linesman was right to raise the flag. We have to agree to disagree. Just goes to show the new offside rule is crap.

Did he approach the play? NO. The linesman was WRONG to raise the flag. We have to agree to disagree - well you're not going to admit you are wrong. Just goes to show that some people don't understand the offside rule.

Archived