BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

Maybe he means we'll have a bit of a bad run sometime which will have Sparky chirping up with glee.

You aren't suggesting that I wish ill on my team are you? I'm a rovers fan through and through although I don't hold the same confidence in messers bowyer and hanley that some on here do. you may or may not have seen that I have heaped praise on various members of the team/squad, like Scott Dann (I lost count of the number of semi-abusive posts I had because I rate him), Leon Best (In my opinion the only Premier League standard forward we have, but I was roundly barracked) and I happen to think young O'Sullivan is a fantastic young player who will be a star, or should be if given the right education.....

I just don't rate bowyer as a manager or hanley as a player, although you may want to read further back in the thread where I said that I may be changing my tune if bowyer keeps this up.....

Don't ever suggest my loyalties don't lie with the rovers, I've forgotten more than you know.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Best is a Premier League standard player, and the best we have? Not sure I can agree with that!

Anyway, I was only interpreting what I thought Gordon said in that post so again, no need for the billy big balls at the end of that message.

You aren't suggesting that I wish ill on my team are you? I'm a rovers fan through and through although I don't hold the same confidence in messers bowyer and hanley that some on here do. you may or may not have seen that I have heaped praise on various members of the team/squad, like Scott Dann (I lost count of the number of semi-abusive posts I had because I rate him), Leon Best (In my opinion the only Premier League standard forward we have, but I was roundly barracked) and I happen to think young O'Sullivan is a fantastic young player who will be a star, or should be if given the right education.....

I just don't rate bowyer as a manager or hanley as a player, although you may want to read further back in the thread where I said that I may be changing my tune if bowyer keeps this up.....

Don't ever suggest my loyalties don't lie with the rovers, I've forgotten more than you know.

Interesting post - I actually agree that I think fully fit - Best will be a good player for us - though disagree he is our only Premiership standard forward.

I partly agree about Dann - O'Sullivan, not seen enough to really judge - but surely his best chance of progression is with Bowyer (ex-youth team) as manager.

Hanley was initially rated better than Jones - and is finally starting to show why. He is apt for the odd lapse (e.g. against Bournemouth) - but so is Dann and yet you forgive him for his ?

As far as Bowyer is concerned - I always look at each new manager with optimism - who had heard of Mourinho prior to Porto ? The one thing I have always liked - he has an air of confidence about him - and after our previous three failed managers, has hair !

I just don't rate bowyer as a manager, although you may want to read further back in the thread where I said that I may be changing my tune if bowyer keeps this up.....

So basically, we need a manager who gets us promoted and hardly ever looses... Then you'll be happy. Perhaps a manager who can rewind back in time to exactly 3 years ago?

it's fine that you 'don't rate' him, its an opinion. The fact that you can have that opinion after our previous 3 managers is incomprehensible. Especially as he's getting the best out of what others have left him and spent little himself.

CURRENTLY, where we stand, Gary deserves credit.

Interesting post - I actually agree that I think fully fit - Best will be a good player for us - though disagree he is our only Premiership standard forward.

I partly agree about Dann - O'Sullivan, not seen enough to really judge - but surely his best chance of progression is with Bowyer (ex-youth team) as manager.

Hanley was initially rated better than Jones - and is finally starting to show why. He is apt for the odd lapse (e.g. against Bournemouth) - but so is Dann and yet you forgive him for his ?

As far as Bowyer is concerned - I always look at each new manager with optimism - who had heard of Mourinho prior to Porto ? The one thing I have always liked - he has an air of confidence about him - and after our previous three failed managers, has hair !

Interesting. The selective nature of fans' forgiveness.

In all my years as a Rovers fan, it was ever thus.Some players are permitted lots of mistakes, while others receive howls of derision at their first misplaced pass.

I have tried to work out what rules are operating here. I have considered the obviously good players that were "dissed"..e.g. Jimmy Quinn, Mark Atkins, Mick Heaton( famously booed after mistakes against Port Vale) and I can't think of anything they really had in common.

I know wingers are frustrating - by definition- because they have to try and beat a man and it can't always come off. Equally, the final ball may be frustrating after a brilliant dribble.

My mate always used to laugh about one highly strung Riversider, watching Noel Brotherston (our favourite player of all time), playing down the Riverside touchline.

" Go on, Noel, Go on, son..( positive, encouraging, hopeful) Then, when he lost the ball.." F** 0ff, Brotherston, B***!"

Says it all, really...

I'm very happy with the Job Bowyer is doing. IMO, He will make mistakes but he decided to change the squad massively by bring in 13 players and cutting the wage bill by having to get rid of some high wage earners aswell.

Don't really know what Sparky Marky is expecting from Bowyer? why don't you rate Bowyer?

Not sure he's getting enough credit for the job he has done this summer. To radically overhaul the sqaud, cut the high earning deadwood, reduced the age of the squad, given it real balance with 2/3 options in every position, play more attractive football and really re-energise the fans in general. A real footballng man with visable passion and love for rovers. We are lucky to have him as manager IMO and for the 1st time in quite some time we are heading in the right direction and showing real signs of improvement

That said he is new to the top job and we will have growing pains as he makes the odd mistake here and there. We just need to stick with him and rovers will fourish imo

Play like a team, even with ten men. Doing very well with a young squad. Handled the Best situation fine. Got rid of some of the high earners.

He's not perfect but I don't expect him to be. Very happy to have him manager of our club.

Lets just say our problems are now mostly off the pitch rather than on it and its a long time since that was the case!

Yes, I know you are right.

But I have to try to remember that last year the cancer was absolutely everywhere-owners, manager, scrotal advisor, directors' box and.... even in the dressing room!

Notwithstanding our reduced league status, you do have to start somewhere and, in my opinion, we are seeing positives we have not seen for four years.

It is starting to remind me of the new beginning,in 1971, when Furphy arrived. That was exemplified by the wonderful fans, who went to Wigan. Anyone remember Tranmere away in November 1971?

Bowyer has my full support... and respect as a person. And, let's face it, there's not many I have been able to say that about since the debacle of Venkunts, Hans and Fester!

• Backroom

I'm of the belief he's the right man for the job without doubt

He's made a couple of boo boos in my view namely lining up without a striker on bench and then yesterday without a defender but in general he's doing a lot more right than wrong and he actually seems to utilise subs in a good way

Right man for the job last year and kept us up. Hope he got a handsome bonus. Brilliant.

But then we had time and choice. Was Bowyer the best we could do? Maybe yes for a myriad of reasons, some of them footballing, maybe not for a different range of purely footballing reasons.

For me on balance, considering everything pre season Bowyer was the correct choice. Ive seen nothing to change that view. Nice to have some class, honesty and transparency again and pleasing to see us playing as a team and giving 100%. Nice to see the determination and will to win.

I felt he could have been supported more in the summer and that one or two more astute signings could have made a big difference. We need more goals and both a playmaker and goal scorer would have helped, although its hard to account for injuries of course. Feel we are way too reliant on Rhodes, but like the general shape and balance of the squad otherwise.

I would love to celebrate some success with Bowyer in charge. It would feel decent and honourable and remove the lasting stench of all that has gone before. After a decade at the club, it is pleasing to return to previous values and I for one am wishing Bowyer all the best. As much for him as me.

He's made a couple of boo boos in my view namely lining up without a striker on bench and then yesterday without a defender but in general he's doing a lot more right than wrong and he actually seems to utilise subs in a good way

Would have thought that GB and his team learned a lot of lessons from the Wigan game in forging an effective ten man strategy. Ten men should have been capable of beating Wigan especially when you've got the fastest player in your side, but as they say, you are only as strong as your weakest player.

Would have thought that GB and his team learned a lot of lessons from the Wigan game in forging an effective ten man strategy. Ten men should have been capable of beating Wigan especially when you've got the fastest player in your side, but as they say, you are only as strong as your weakest player.

Agreed...thats where he can improve. He needs to have the balls to take Rhodes off in situations like that in my opinion

The defender issue has been over played. On the pitch we had Lowe who has played Centre Back and Right back - on the bench we had Marrow (who has played centre back) and Morris (who has played left back).

I was personally surprised that we didn't bring Marrow on to play centre back.

But to be honest - barring the more bizarre decisions by the referee we would have had at least a draw - so can't criticise Bowyer too much.

Yes, in hindsight, though was Best fully fit.

I can see why he took best off and tbh why he initially left rhodes on. But it was clear by at least half time that we were struggling to get out. At that point I'd have put king up top. We then had the option to launch it long and get king in behind their back 4. Rhodes inability to hold it up or run the channels, coupled with us being a man down in midfield was killing us. It got even worse as their back 4 pushed upto the halfway line coz rhodes was no threat to get in behind. Kings pace alone would have pushed them back and stopped the full backs playing as wingers

I can see why he took best off and tbh why he initially left rhodes on. But it was clear by at least half time that we were struggling to get out. At that point I'd have put king up top. We then had the option to launch it long and get king in behind their back 4. Rhodes inability to hold it up or run the channels, coupled with us being a man down in midfield was killing us. It got even worse as their back 4 pushed upto the halfway line coz rhodes was no threat to get in behind. Kings pace alone would have pushed them back and stopped the full backs playing as wingers

We were saying much the same, but it's sometimes best when already disrupted, not to change too much else. Hindsight is great of course.

Archived