BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

The trouble all our midfield players faced yesterday was they were out numbered in midfield. As a result it was hard to find a free man and pass our way through. If we tried to go a bit more direct charltons centre halfs won practically every header. When the ball went out wide to king or marshall their spare man in midfield had gone accorss and they were doubling up on king and marshall limiting their threat. The trouble is its tough to play 2 up top in this league when most play 5 man midfields. Its even tougher when to the 2 you play up top struggle to hold the ball up allowing your 4 to get forward.

Even tougher when you consider our 2 up top will never gel into a partnership whilst there are stars in the sky. Another thing that should be glaringly obvious by now to the management and everyone else.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even tougher when you consider our 2 up top will never gel into a partnership whilst there are stars in the sky. Another thing that should be glaringly obvious by now to the management and everyone else.

True. TBH I think bowyer wants to play some iteration of 4-5-1. Its suits all the players we have until you reach the lone striker in Rhodes. He cant leave Rhodes out, so we try other formations. King is far more effective in a 4-5-1 as is cairney/lowe. We really miss dunn and rochina who can provide that missing link between mid and attack

Bowyer got quite a bit wrong yesterday, but king wasn't part of it. He was deffo injured and signalled to the bench

King wasn't injured. He had cramp which has also caused him to go off in three of the last four games.

He's been restricted in terms of the fees he can spend den. Evans and Marshall cost money but the likes of Judge, Eastwood, Marrow, Spurr, Kilgallon were out of contract. Signing on fees and wages have to be paid but he has certainly been restricted in terms of the budget available to him.

They were 13 players of his choice Parson. We've had many managers over the years that could only have dreamt about being allowed to bring in so many players, in so short a time.

I guess he was happy with them all, otherwise he wouldn't have signed them. Bowyer certainly can't complain that he hasn't been backed in the transfer market.

I actually thought we looked fractionally better after the substitutions were made yesterday. King was certainly struggling with a niggle when he was subbed.I agree with those saying we were outnumbered in midfield, but I understand the reason for trying 2 up front at home against a team you feel you should beat. I commented during the game that I felt we needed to take a forward off for a midfielder to try and get more control of the game higher up the pitch.

We are certainly a team in its infancy and have some extremely average players to choose from, and looking at the bench yesterday I do feel we are very limited in our substitute options if we want to radically change our style.

True. TBH I think bowyer wants to play some iteration of 4-5-1. Its suits all the players we have until you reach the lone striker in Rhodes. He cant leave Rhodes out, so we try other formations. King is far more effective in a 4-5-1 as is cairney/lowe. We really miss dunn and rochina who can provide that missing link between mid and attack

This is were the tough management should come into play. As big a fan/defender of Rhodes as i am he shouldn't be above being subbed when he's off form or it's not working. Im also a critic of Best but he was no worse than anyone else yesterday but he's always the one withdrawn first and yesterday he was hauled off too early for me. There was a chance yesterday to try him and Campbell up front later on. I know you shouldn't take off your top striker but Rhodes was clearly struggling yesterday and i don't think the fans would have gone into meltdown if he was taken off a bit later in the game to make way for Campbel and try something different seeing as we were chasing the game.

Edit: Just noticed you pretty much said the same on the other thread 45 mins ago lol

If bowyer wants to persist with 4-4-2 then in games like yesterday where Charlton had 1 up top and offered very little going forward he needs to get at least 1 or both full backs to push right up to give us extra options in midfield

Are you on the wind up? On the other thread you called Rhodes an awful footballer. If he is, why can't he be left out?

Are you on the wind up? On the other thread you called Rhodes an awful footballer. If he is, why can't he be left out?

No Im deadly serious. He is a world class finisher but the rest of his game is very limited imo

He is the main man, the fans favourite. It would take a brave manager to sub him or leave him out. At this stage of his career bowyer isn't that man

No Im deadly serious. He is a world class finisher but the rest of his game is very limited imo

He is the main man, the fans favourite. It would take a brave manager to sub him or leave him out. At this stage of his career bowyer isn't that man

You'd leave him out?

Well thank @#/? you aren't our manager. Especially last season.

He hobbled all the way back from the Charlton corner flag whilst signalling sub at the bench. Tends to mean sub me please, I'm injured.

He could have, yes. But that would mean playing 4411, which is a far more defensive formation. Unless your suggesting playing Cairney defensive midfield, which nullifies everything he is good at.

I saw him on the ground quite a bit before he went off but he got up and looked ok.

I would have put Cairney in central midfield yes with the license to push on, asking Lowe to sit. We were pushing for a goal.

I think Marshall might prove to be a waste of a big chunk of money for us. He seems very similar in quality and style to Judge and Taylor; couldn't the money have been spent on something different, maybe a pacier winger so we don't rely as much on King?

• Backroom

I personally would have left Best on and changed Marshall for Taylor its not like we could have created less but fair play he tried something different it just didn't work

King was down off the pitch at the blackburn end for a good while whether cramp or not he had to come off, even when it isn't working the lad sprints his ass off so not surprised he pulls up now and again

I was confused to why DJ wasn't warming up but didn't realise he had a bike in the tunnel

Whilst I like the manager some of his post match comments are disappointing in laying the blame on a handball and saying if they don't score it probably ends 0-0, they did score - within ten minutes!

I personally would have left Best on and changed Marshall for Taylor its not like we could have created less but fair play he tried something different it just didn't workKing was down off the pitch at the blackburn end for a good while whether cramp or not he had to come off, even when it isn't working the lad sprints his ass off so not surprised he pulls up now and againI was confused to why DJ wasn't warming up but didn't realise he had a bike in the tunnelWhilst I like the manager some of his post match comments are disappointing in laying the blame on a handball and saying if they don't score it probably ends 0-0, they did score - within ten minutes!

I was also disappointed that bowyer didn't tell it like it was, however he did send the players out very early for the second half after a poor first half, so maybe he was honest to the players but defended them in public. Although it was frustrating to hear as a fan, maybe the players will respect it and respond well.

Bowyer:

Positives

- fairly good line up given previous performances (although personally I get worried with a Cairney-Lowe partnership in a 2 man midfield)

- changed it brining on the right player Williamson to change to a 4-2-3-1 when 4-4-2 wasn't working. Excellent spot and looked like it would work.

Negatives

- Judge for King. King was a better performer, and Judge offered nothing and just made us narrower (as he always does) - bad move.

- Campbell on when wellying it up field. Never going to work. Also in taking off Marshall, not sure what the formation went to.

So again positives and negatives. Some good promise in the correct decisions, but you have a feeling the incorrect decisions are going to cost us a few points.

This is the key issue.

Bowyer becoming a good manager is one thing - and one all fans would agree on, there's promise there, he's a good guy, we'd love the promise to be realised and to give him the time to do so.

Bowyer having time to become good enough is another - our situation may not allow for that to happen.

Bowyer got quite a bit wrong yesterday, but king wasn't part of it. He was deffo injured and signalled to the bench

If that's the case then I take back criticizing his substitution of King. However, Judge on the left, still makes you a rather narrow team. Think I'd have brought on Taylor instead, or swapped Judge to the right wing, where he plays a bit wider.

Taking QPR and Wigan out of the equation we've probably spent the most in the division. I don't think anyone else has spent a million on one player either.

Forest spent around 6 million pounds this summer. Wilson for 2.5 million, Mackie for 1 million, Paterson for 750k, Abdoun for around 1.9 million pounds.

Bournemouth spent 2.5 million pounds on a striker Tokelo Rantie from Malmo FC.

Bolton spent 1.5 million pounds for Jay Spearing.

I was there, King didn't seem injured, just tired to me.

Best could have been taken off for Judge or Taylor, Williamson is much more defensive.

It was more the lack of game plan when we needed a goal, as was the case v Huddersfield.

King was injured IMO that's why he came off. he might have been feeling his injury he suffered on International duty but just didn't look the same player he was before the International break.

Best should have been take off at half time. I disagree with your comment that bring on Williamson made us more defensive. I thought it allow Cairney and Marshall more freedom to go forward and try to get them more involved between the Charlton 2 banks of 4.

I think you got to give Charlton some credit for their solid and defensive performance.

I thought Rovers lost our attacking shape when we push Dann up front last 5 mins cos we just hit hopeful long balls up not try to pass and move our way through them. Hope Bowyer doesn't do this again.

The trouble all our midfield players faced yesterday was they were out numbered in midfield. As a result it was hard to find a free man and pass our way through. If we tried to go a bit more direct charltons centre halfs won practically every header. When the ball went out wide to king or marshall their spare man in midfield had gone accorss and they were doubling up on king and marshall limiting their threat. The trouble is its tough to play 2 up top in this league when most play 5 man midfields. Its even tougher when to the 2 you play up top struggle to hold the ball up allowing your 4 to get forward.

Charlton played 4-4-2 against us yesterday at the start of the game with Church and Sordell up front. around 65/70 mins into the game went 4-5-1 and it was even toughen to break down a well drilled defensive performance.

I agree with that. I think Bowyer want to play 4-2-3-1 formation but with Dunn and Rochina out he opted to go back to 4-4-2.

I hope against Blackpool that we play 4-2-3-1 with either Cairney or Marshall in the hole behind Rhodes if Dunn not back to start. Williamson playing with Lowe centre midfield.

Bowyer is doing as good as he can in the circumstances - anybody who thinks somebody could come in and do better is foolish...

i think any rovers fan, after last seasons disaster, cant have expected too much more than what we have in terms of league position at the moment...

admittedly i think bowyer got things a little wrong on saturday

personally i would have hauled Best`s sorry ass off the field long before half time

marshall looked a better player (not too hard to be fair after his first half) once he moved into Best`s position..

king looked unfit - but again why no Taylor??

I think bowyer is doing a good job but as with any rookie in a new role you have growing pains and sat is arguably part of that. I think a big thing with inexperienced managers is they often leave it to long to change something not working. After the 1st 45mins Im not sure why he didnt change things then, or arguably even before half time. Its as tho you have to get to 55-60mins before you can make a sub and tinker

You know that FG .... I know that, anybody with any sense knows that but the massed ranks of our 4-4-2 brigade are still not sure.

Archived