BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

Bowyer cracked down on Best when he step out of line by not playing him, taking internal disciplinary action and getting him to apologise to Bowyer, staff and the players for his comments and actions. when this happened some people on the messageboard were saying Bowyer was being too tough on Best.

I know Chaddy, Bowyer handled the Best situation perfectly imo, the player backed down and apologised and the manager's authority was reasserted.

This current trend of players getting themselves needlessly sent off needs well and truly nipping in the bud though. Would players do it with the likes of Ferguson or Mourinho in charge? I don't know.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Nobody said he was too tough on Best just that it was a silly move as it jeopardised the team and left us with no back up striker in a game where our main striker had an injury and a game we were losing and needed to throw the kitchen sink at them

I acknowledge that I run the risk of being a stereotypical blinkered Bowyer fan, but does it not encourage anyone, even slightly, that our side now show this united front? I mean Campbell did make a bad challenge and it was poor judgement to react as he did. And yes Best should have wound his neck in. But the fact we now have a side who show this togetherness is surely a good thing? Bowyer has to manage this correctly and not let the discipline slide too far. But sides who show this fight are the ones who invariably work for each other and run through walls to achieve the results. I guess i'm maybe a bit old school, but I don't mind it. Maybe because I had already written this season off as a (yet another) transitional period. I think this spirit bodes well for our future. I don't expect us to go up this year but this side has got the potential to achieve next season and if all this season manages to produce is the hunger to do better next then i'm okay with that. Providing Venkys can see the same green shoots of life that is.

Oh and Campbell was hounded by 3 of the donkey lashers. Its easy to sit and judge, but I bet a good few of us would have acted the same.

In the summer I'd have gone for either Mclaren , Warnock or Strachan..

In the summer you should have gone for a visit to the shrink

I wondernif you all would be questioning him had he been given the coin that kean was. I still believe many of the doubters will be hushed by seasons end

Said similar myself, that we need a strategy in line with our situation - something Rovers clearly aren't doing.

Not 100% sure Holloway is the answer, and he seemed to do better when he had time to build a squad (e.g. Plymouth, Blackpool) then taking jobs midway through a season (at Palace for example he wasn't as impressive) which could factor into our thinking.

Regardless of whether Bowyer is the right man or not, he's certainly not been given the resources needed to get us out of this division.

Second post I'm ashamed of today but I find Dyche hard to dislike as a manager he seems to do things the right way and rarely seems to moan about luck and referees

If memory serves he did exactly that after playing us. Not much reason for moaning if you are winning every game

I know Chaddy, Bowyer handled the Best situation perfectly imo, the player backed down and apologised and the manager's authority was reasserted.

This current trend of players getting themselves needlessly sent off needs well and truly nipping in the bud though. Would players do it with the likes of Ferguson or Mourinho in charge? I don't know.

I agree that Hanley's sending off was needless but I think Campbell was simply reacting to being grabbed by Parkinson and then a couple of other Blackpool players. If the Blackpool players hadn't got involved I don't think there would have been an issue. Campbell had every right to go for the ball, something which I believe Gilks has agreed is correct, the problem started with the over reaction of the Blackpool players and then Campbell responded as most people would in the heat of the moment.

Yes, only the most naive Rovers Fans swallow such banal tripe.

What he supposed to say when asked? 'Training has been poop, the lads are really depressed, dunny is on suicide watch and hanley keeps wetting the bed'

Sparky Marky, on 20 Oct 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:snapback.png

In the summer I'd have gone for either Mclaren , Warnock or Strachan..

Blue blood, on 24 Oct 2013 - 3:34 PM, said:snapback.png

I wondern if you all would be questioning him had he been given the coin that kean was. I still believe many of the doubters will be hushed by seasons end

Said similar myself, that we need a strategy in line with our situation - something Rovers clearly aren't doing.

Not 100% sure Holloway is the answer, and he seemed to do better when he had time to build a squad (e.g. Plymouth, Blackpool) then taking jobs midway through a season (at Palace for example he wasn't as impressive) which could factor into our thinking.

Regardless of whether Bowyer is the right man or not, he's certainly not been given the resources needed to get us out of this division.

USA Blue - I wonder the same too, I certainly think I'd be a lot less worried had Bowyer been given adequate funding.

I'd certainly have the same reservations and hope pre-season with a promising rookie manager. However I'd feel a lot more confident that Bowyer had a chance to succeed (success in our situation is promotion as it seems it's promotion or bust.) Certainly with some experienced managers with strong squads around - Redknapp, Davies, Pearson, to name but three, the idea of Bowyer fighting for promotion with these guys would be hard enough, much less having to do it through bargain basement buys and freebies.

Encouraging article in the Lancashire Telegraph about Ryan Edwards being back from loan and wanting to fight for a starting place. Has anyone seen him play much? Anthony O'Connor is also mentioned.

Hopefully one of Bowyer's strengths with his previous roles will be looking at our youngsters and getting them into the first team as soon as they are ready and if they are good enough. The article says that Edwards can play right back so getting him in and sending Kane back to Chelsea would save a bit on the wage bill.

Sparky Marky, on 20 Oct 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Blue blood, on 24 Oct 2013 - 3:34 PM, said:snapback.png

USA Blue - I wonder the same too, I certainly think I'd be a lot less worried had Bowyer been given adequate funding.

I'd certainly have the same reservations and hope pre-season with a promising rookie manager. However I'd feel a lot more confident that Bowyer had a chance to succeed (success in our situation is promotion as it seems it's promotion or bust.) Certainly with some experienced managers with strong squads around - Redknapp, Davies, Pearson, to name but three, the idea of Bowyer fighting for promotion with these guys would be hard enough, much less having to do it through bargain basement buys and freebies.

100% Bang on!

Edwards has been very good when I've seen him. Hopefully him or Henley can compete for the rb slot. Or maybe he can push Hanley/Dann/Kilgallon too.

A replacement for Dann would be good as he would be one on a big wage who we could probably get a transfer fee for.

Kane's on a season long loan - http://www.rovers.co.uk/team/player-profile/index.aspx?playerid=457910&tcmuri=789394 - so I wonder if there's an option for his return.

If he wasn't guaranteed first team football with us I would think Chelsea would have other offers for him. Saying all this we don't know how much of his wage we are actually paying so it's hard to say how much financial saving there would be.

But even if it's only a bit off the wage bill, I think there is value in having our own young players gaining first-team experience rather than developing someone else's.

I'd be happy to see Dann go as I think he's very much a fair weather defender - yet somehow has a reputation intact. (Having said that not masses of clubs seem to want him...)

Can be brilliant but also guaranteed to make mistakes that lead to goals. Added to which he's bullied far too much for a centre half. Think we'll want to hang on to Hanley though as Bowyer knows him well and he's the "type" of defender needed in this league.

Archived