BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

In the summer I'd have gone for either Mclaren , Warnock or Strachan..

Would any of those managers have come knowing what happened last season and knowing that they were working with a zero transfer budget? The fact that we couldn't afford £1 million for a decent backup goalkeeper and had to settle for a "free" in Eastwood tells its own story. I have no doubt that we will finish in mid-table and I see that as progress. Gary is being asked to restructure the club in a way which takes more than a season although I doubt that the owners realise this fact. If the owners were serious about promotion this season the transfer budget would reflect that but it doesn't because of the losses already incurred. Gary is having to shop in the bargain basement and has done well to develop a team from the budget he was given. The owners have invested in the Academy and in the development of young players but the fact that both the Under-18 and Under-21 teams are struggling shows just how much of a long term gamble that really is. It may be years before we see the fruits of that investment and in the meantime the club is facing a transfer embargo in the summer which will prevent the replacement of any players who happen to leave the club. It's hardly a job that is likely to attract many managers and in the circumstances I think Gary has done an admirable job.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very much agree with this. There are bound to be blips: No manager gets every game right, and especially not when they are not given any money to spend and have seen their best players leaving. yesterday did not feel like a dire performance. It was below par, yes, and it wasn't helped by poor refereeing. We never seem to react well to breaks in the calendar. We had a last minute defeat to Wigan still in our system and, whilst some teams would have lifted themselves because of it, our young team seems not to be able to do so. We had no different players on the bench - just like for like replacements. That's one of the chief problems -we don't have the guy who can do something a bit different.

Would any of those managers have come knowing what happened last season and knowing that they were working with a zero transfer budget? The fact that we couldn't afford £1 million for a decent backup goalkeeper and had to settle for a "free" in Eastwood tells its own story. I have no doubt that we will finish in mid-table and I see that as progress. Gary is being asked to restructure the club in a way which takes more than a season although I doubt that the owners realise this fact. If the owners were serious about promotion this season the transfer budget would reflect that but it doesn't because of the losses already incurred. Gary is having to shop in the bargain basement and has done well to develop a team from the budget he was given. The owners have invested in the Academy and in the development of young players but the fact that both the Under-18 and Under-21 teams are struggling shows just how much of a long term gamble that really is. It may be years before we see the fruits of that investment and in the meantime the club is facing a transfer embargo in the summer which will prevent the replacement of any players who happen to leave the club. It's hardly a job that is likely to attract many managers and in the circumstances I think Gary has done an admirable job.

We need a manager with contacts and friends in the game, pulling in favours, players that have played for the manager before at a different club...I.e. paddy kenny goes everywhere Warnock goes, a much better goalie than Kean...Mcclaren might bring in some Dutch players we don't even know but would be better than feckin judge and marrow....

Don't tell me there isn't a better man for the job.

Of course there are loads who would be better but I can think of at least three reasons we have for Bowyer as our manager.

Venkys don't trust any outsiders (for any number of potential reasons)

It's in someone's interests to control all transfers.

We can't afford an experienced manager and he is the best man for our budget

The trouble is if promotion has been agreed upon then sequences and performances like this just give Shebby an opportunity.

The trouble is if promotion has been agreed upon then sequences and performances like this just give Shebby an opportunity.

If promotion has been 'agreed upon' then they are even more deluded than we thought.

Then throw in the bargain basement signings and it makes a mockery of their 'agreements'.

If promotion has been 'agreed upon' then they are even more deluded than we thought.

Then throw in the bargain basement signings and it makes a mockery of their 'agreements'.

Anyone who keeps Sheeby Singh around them is either highly deluded or has a passion for court jesters.

Promotion on a shoe-string, sounds just like them if being honest considering the champions league can be achieved on 5M a window.

My worry is if SS was on his way back before Bournemouth (?) then he currently won't be able to get his snake like tongue out of mrs D's ear.

In the summer I'd have gone for either McClaren , Warnock or Strachan..

McClaren would have been a decent choice.

But Strachan? failed massively at Boro after spending millions and got them nowhere. plus why would he leave the Scotland national manager job for Rovers? :unsure::rolleyes:

I think pretty much spot on there. Bowyer accept the job even tho he knew they would be cutbacks at the club. we are 10th in the league and roughly where I thought Rovers would be at this stage of the season. still close enough to be challenging for playoff spot. the team is still gelling together.

We need a manager with contacts and friends in the game, pulling in favours, players that have played for the manager before at a different club...I.e. paddy kenny goes everywhere Warnock goes, a much better goalie than Kean...Mcclaren might bring in some Dutch players we don't even know but would be better than feckin judge and marrow....

Bowyer will know some managers and will be building his contacts up.

Paddy Kenny? FFS.

McClaren is a good coach but would he come to Rovers this summer with the cut backs happening? I don't know

The key issue for me is this ...

If I was the owner/owners of BRFC and really wanted the club to succeed and return to the Premier League .

Would I employ Gary Bowyer ?

No , is the answer ,

The problem is not Bowyer it is the owners lack of ambition for the club and has been since the day they arrived ....

Difficult to argue with this assessment although they did think at one point the club could challenge for honours on the back of a tiny transfer budget, with the best admin staff sacked and the worst manager in history! So they had ambition just no understanding about how deluded they were.

If promotion is an agreed "must have" how will these punatics react at the end of the season when it doesn't happen? That's what I'd love to know.

13 players don't come free Parson. It's a fallacy that he's been restricted with his signings.

Anyone who keeps Sheeby Singh around them is either highly deluded or has a passion for court jesters.

Promotion on a shoe-string, sounds just like them if being honest considering the champions league can be achieved on 5M a window.

My worry is if SS was on his way back before Bournemouth (?) then he currently won't be able to get his snake like tongue out of mrs D's ear.

I was so glad to read your last word!

I think Shebby is far, far more dangerous than a court jester-and, anyway, I seem to remember that the fool actually spoke the truth, only very subtly! Shebby is a deluded, power mad egotist...IMO.

I am very concerned about what we will have to witness, if two defeats become three at Blackpool.

The injuries are a big problem and the team was misfiring badly yesterday. The blend was not there ..we only forced their keeper to one real save in 90 minutes. During the 6 minutes added time I don't think we had a proper attack.

Normally, you would just have to accept that turning the fortunes of a club around after all the turmoil would take time. We just don't have it. Equally, none of us have been fooled into thinking that the owners have made the sort of investment to turn it round quickly.

Cue find a scapegoat!

Guest Norbert

I think a D of F who has been an experienced and successful manager would help, assuming there are clear lines of responsibilities.

13 players don't come free Parson. It's a fallacy that he's been restricted with his signings.

He's been restricted in terms of the fees he can spend den. Evans and Marshall cost money but the likes of Judge, Eastwood, Marrow, Spurr, Kilgallon were out of contract. Signing on fees and wages have to be paid but he has certainly been restricted in terms of the budget available to him.

For the ones on here commenting about the Rovers subs who obviously didn't go to the game:

King was injured, and had to be replaced.

DJ was clearly unfit, and therefore they probably didn't want to risk him for more than 10 minutes.

Best was taken off for Williamson for tactical reasons, we changed from 442 to 4231 at this point.

I was there, King didn't seem injured, just tired to me.

Best could have been taken off for Judge or Taylor, Williamson is much more defensive.

It was more the lack of game plan when we needed a goal, as was the case v Huddersfield.

He hobbled all the way back from the Charlton corner flag whilst signalling sub at the bench. Tends to mean sub me please, I'm injured.

He could have, yes. But that would mean playing 4411, which is a far more defensive formation. Unless your suggesting playing Cairney defensive midfield, which nullifies everything he is good at.

I was there, King didn't seem injured, just tired to me.

Best could have been taken off for Judge or Taylor, Williamson is much more defensive.

It was more the lack of game plan when we needed a goal, as was the case v Huddersfield.

Bowyer got quite a bit wrong yesterday, but king wasn't part of it. He was deffo injured and signalled to the bench

For the ones on here commenting about the Rovers subs who obviously didn't go to the game:

King was injured, and had to be replaced.

DJ was clearly unfit, and therefore they probably didn't want to risk him for more than 10 minutes.

Best was taken off for Williamson for tactical reasons, we changed from 442 to 4231 at this point.

Why assume that because people are commenting/criticizing the subs that they weren't at the game ? I was and the subs yesterday were poor, i commented that King may have been injured because there was no other cause whatsoever to take him off. For me Marshalls sorry ass should have been hauled off before any other fit player. He's mostly looked unfit and uninterested in his short spell here.

• Moderation Lead

Why assume that because people are commenting/criticizing the subs that they weren't at the game ? I was and the subs yesterday were poor, i commented that King may have been injured because there was no other cause whatsoever to take him off. For me Marshalls sorry ass should have been hauled off before any other fit player. He's mostly looked unfit and uninterested in his short spell here.

Regarding Marshall, I mentioned a bit above, but I think he's a player lacking in confidence massively, and he hadn't played in a while before he joined us.

I'd like to see Judge and Taylor brought back in, maybe Judge in the 'no. 10' role...

The trouble all our midfield players faced yesterday was they were out numbered in midfield. As a result it was hard to find a free man and pass our way through. If we tried to go a bit more direct charltons centre halfs won practically every header. When the ball went out wide to king or marshall their spare man in midfield had gone accorss and they were doubling up on king and marshall limiting their threat. The trouble is its tough to play 2 up top in this league when most play 5 man midfields. Its even tougher when to the 2 you play up top struggle to hold the ball up allowing your 4 to get forward.

Regarding Marshall, I mentioned a bit above, but I think he's a player lacking in confidence massively, and he hadn't played in a while before he joined us.

I'd like to see Judge and Taylor brought back in, maybe Judge in the 'no. 10' role...

Yes it could be the confidence thing and his obvious lack of fitness won't be helping that. There was definitely a good case for him to be replaced with Taylor early in the 2nd half yesterday.

Archived