BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

We were saying much the same, but it's sometimes best when already disrupted, not to change too much else. Hindsight is great of course.

Aye so true and we are only a couple of bad set peices or kings shot at the end dipping under the bar off it all being a moot point

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of the belief he's the right man for the job without doubt

He's made a couple of boo boos in my view namely lining up without a striker on bench and then yesterday without a defender but in general he's doing a lot more right than wrong and he actually seems to utilise subs in a good way

What makes you think he uses subs well?

Is it me or is Bowyer actually turning out to be an absolute gem.

To motivate the group of players we had last season and keep them up was very impressive. BUT to rebuild the squad in the summer and turn us into one of the youngest and most talented teams in the division is quite another. He has exceeded my expectations so far this season.

I had a bad feeling the players might respond to him as caretaker manager but not as full time manager. Those fears have been allayed.

We've a young squad so we'll have some off days but I actually go into games now expecting us to get a result.

We have thrashed 3 teams so far this season and have only narrowly lost in the last minute against two top teams. We deserved to lose against Leicester and were woeful against Doncaster.

Promising signs and a promotion push is a realistic prospect this season.

To motivate the group of players we had last season and keep them up was very impressive. BUT to rebuild the squad in the summer and turn us into one of the youngest and most talented teams in the division is quite another. He has exceeded my expectations so far this season.

I had a bad feeling the players might respond to him as caretaker manager but not as full time manager. Those fears have been allayed.

We've a young squad so we'll have some off days but I actually go into games now expecting us to get a result.

We have thrashed 3 teams so far this season and have only narrowly lost in the last minute against two top teams. We deserved to lose against Leicester and were woeful against Doncaster.

Get a grip man.

I'm of the belief he's the right man for the job without doubt

He's made a couple of boo boos in my view namely lining up without a striker on bench and then yesterday without a defender but in general he's doing a lot more right than wrong and he actually seems to utilise subs in a good way

Really respect the admission that Bowyer does make some boo boos - like his substitute selections for example. I also wonder if tactically he dropped one as we sat too deep as the game went on. And definitely I'd have taken off Rhodes and kept Best on to hold it up better - or I like the suggestion others have made of having King up top. A slightly more astute manager could well have edged us a point with a few different changes.

Having said that seeing a team busting a gut for each other rather than capitulating (as I reckon we'd have done last season) is very encouraging and a welcome change. Having unity, desire and hunger will in the long run be more beneficial for us and provide the foundations that were sorely lacking last season for any on field success. More than anything else this was needed for on field success and credit for Bowyer for getting such a united hard working group.

I guess we, especially myself, need to be patient that Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully Bowyer will learn from his mistakes (quickly) and build on the positive foundations he's made with the club. If he does so perhaps we can dare to dream again.

Now I wasn't there so maybe my comments are invalid but I must say taking Best off instead of Rhodes would not have been my best option Knowing we were 1-0 up with 60 mins to go and destined to be under pressure after the sending off, a player who can play alone upfront, give as good as he gets physically and can and hold the ball up well would have stayed on for me. We all know Rhodes finishing qualities are excellent but when we are under the cosh Rhodes makes it feel like we only have 10 men and when we only do have 10 men then we are effectively down to 9.

Rhodes off with the busy Judge on would have been my choice but if we'd still lost Bowyer would have been criticised for that. The shrill cries of 'we've always a chance of scoring though if Jordans on' would have been shouted down from the rooftops.

Now I wasn't there so maybe my comments are invalid but I must say taking Best off instead of Rhodes would not have been my best option Knowing we were 1-0 up with 60 mins to go and destined to be under pressure after the sending off, a player who can play alone upfront, give as good as he gets physically and can and hold the ball up well would have stayed on for me. We all know Rhodes finishing qualities are excellent but when we are under the cosh Rhodes makes it feel like we only have 10 men and when we only do have 10 men then we are effectively down to 9.

Rhodes off with the busy Judge on would have been my choice but if we'd still lost Bowyer would have been criticised for that. The shrill cries of 'we've always a chance of scoring though if Jordans on' would have been shouted down from the rooftops.

Don't think they would as even the Rhodes most ardent supporters would acknowledge that holding up the ball and keeping possession are not Rhodes strengths. As others have said Bowyer had several more attractive options to keeping Rhodes on which would've helped protect the lead more.

I agree with your comments Rovers11. I am very happy with Bowyer's performance so far and for me he was my only choice for the manager job this summer.

Get a grip man.

Sorry Sparky, but not every fan is like being Mr Negative. really don't see why you are so negative about Bowyer.

we are 9th in the league and not too far of the top 6 spot

I think GB had two choices - you play on, gung-ho and worry the opposition to death by keeping your attackers on and hope your three man midfield hold up, run their feet off and you use your subs to relieve them when they are knackered. I feel we did that against Villa in the PL when Dunny scored the winner, but I've rarely seen us do it.

Or, you shore up, take off an attacker and try and hold on, which I never think we are good at. Not sure taking JR off or LB made a difference, we'd still have had one striker, with Josh King wide. Just felt the winner coming in those circumstances. Takes a brave manager to do the former.

Don't think they would as even the Rhodes most ardent supporters would acknowledge that holding up the ball and keeping possession are not Rhodes strengths. As others have said Bowyer had several more attractive options to keeping Rhodes on which would've helped protect the lead more.

Mentioned in another thread - but this is the Rhodes dilema. I to would have considered taking off Rhodes and leaving on Best - however, with a decent referee, Rhode's snap shot would have led to a penalty - which we all know would most likely have scored from - and considering how the game was going would have led to three points.

Chuffed to bits with Bowyer. I liked his Dad as a player and the man seems a proper football person. He has been level headed every time he has been in charge and he is such a contrast to the madness that has gone before since Allardyce left.

A real dignity about the man and he has restored my faith to go back to the games. I hope he can bring success but for the moment I am just happy to see some stability, some method, some enthusiasm and a reconnection between players, management and fans. It is great to see our academy produce a number of first team players and hopefully we can now build to go forward once more.

And can also be the kind of player to take us down to 9 men.

And Rhodes can grab the goals.

But in retrospect it may have been wiser to plump for Best this time. Still, we may have got battered had we done. We won't know now.

A few people presuming that just because they suggest something different, then that would have been an automatic 3 points.

• Backroom

I had some specific examples in mind when I wrote that, but can't think of them right now but there hasn't been many times when I've been perplexed by substitutions although I have raised an eyebrow when Olsson has been given then nod

The Rhodes or best thing is a tough one, Best is better at the ugly stuff and will win it in the air but had he missed a chance then people would say it should have been Rhodes on

Rhodes might not have the physical presence of Best (he's not exactly Carsten Jancker, though, is he?), but I know who'd I want on the end of a half-chance in the box.

I was thinking more of aggression actually rather than bigness....and I still think Best is our only striker who can cut it in the top league....hope Jordan proves me wrong one day.

I'd have kept Rhodes on, which will probably get me slated.

I'd have Rhodes over Best, even as lone striker.

Agreed. Rhodes held the ball up much better in the time they were on the pitch together at Wigan imo, Best lost it nearly every time he received it. Plus as others have correctly observed with a competent referee we get a penalty at 1-0 and probably get all 3 points.

Chuffed to bits with Bowyer. I liked his Dad as a player and the man seems a proper football person. He has been level headed every time he has been in charge and he is such a contrast to the madness that has gone before since Allardyce left.

A real dignity about the man and he has restored my faith to go back to the games. I hope he can bring success but for the moment I am just happy to see some stability, some method, some enthusiasm and a reconnection between players, management and fans. It is great to see our academy produce a number of first team players and hopefully we can now build to go forward once more.

Good post.

I had my reservations about Bowyer but with every passing week they are becomming less and less as we see the squad becomming more galvanised, organised and showing the skill and guile we all associate with Rovers sides down the years (apart from the last 3). I still think promotion is beyond us this season but I'd settle for progress after the Kean/Berg/Appleton fiasco's

Surley Sparky your opinion cannot be that entrenched? It's irrational

I had my reservations about Bowyer but with every passing week they are becomming less and less as we see the squad becomming more galvanised, organised and showing the skill and guile we all associate with Rovers sides down the years (apart from the last 3). I still think promotion is beyond us this season but I'd settle for progress after the Kean/Berg/Appleton fiasco's

Surley Sparky your opinion cannot be that entrenched? It's irrational

If you read back a few pages, after the watford result, I posted that my tune may change if bowyer kept this up...so, not irrational...

Worth mentioning that Best has hardly played a full 90 since joining us - could he really have run the lone furrow as tirelessly as Rhodes?

Personally - based on the the information coming from the game i'd have been very very tempted to leave both best and rhodes on the pitch and pull the midfield a little bit narrower. Then again i'm sat in front of a computer and there aren't millions of pounds riding on my decisions... :rock:

Then again if wigan didn't score in the 90 something minute then i would have been very happy with a draw...

Archived