BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan predictions

Isn't that down to the manager to give Best instructions from the touchline to show some responsibility and play for the team ? Rhodes is worse than useless in situations like Sunday because he is incapable of holding up the ball and taking the pressure off our defence. I would have taken Rhodes off and left Best on because at least he is mobile and provides a physical presence. Sunday's defeat was agony to watch because it was so inevitable - I do think Bowyer made the wrong decisions this time.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that down to the manager to give Best instructions from the touchline to show some responsibility and play for the team ? Rhodes is worse than useless in situations like Sunday because he is incapable of holding up the ball and taking the pressure off our defence. I would have taken Rhodes off and left Best on because at least he is mobile and provides a physical presence. Sunday's defeat was agony to watch because it was so inevitable - I do think Bowyer made the wrong decisions this time.

I disagree. We didn't really look like conceding throughout. We weren't under the cosh and we created a few chances for ourselves.

I disagree. We didn't really look like conceding throughout. We weren't under the cosh and we created a few chances for ourselves.

mmm.. would beg to differ on this :rock:

How many corners, freekicks, scrambles in the box did Wigan have. especially in that second half.

The 2nd half was a non entity for us really the only thing was we look more composed about it It was good to see the organisation and fight that we have not had for a heck of a longtime, but it was holding onto hope more than anything that we would not concede again given the amount of times Wigan attacked at us.

It was hardly last ditch defending. They had a little bluster but nothing that looked too dangerous. It was two set pieces that did it, which they could have scored without all the possession. With some better refereeing it would have been three points to us and nobody would have said it was a lucky win.

• Backroom

It's easy to give it to a keeper who made more than three routine saves for a team down to ten men.

I'm hoping the man of the match may give a little confidence though.

It's only easy if the keeper plays well and makes important saves. if your goalkeeper gets MOTM it suggests your team as a whole struggled to cope with the opposition.

Rhodes worked his nuts off in the Wigan game in that 2nd half and he got stuck into the physical stuff and was on the receiving end of a bit as well. As has been mentioned he nearly converted the half chance with a superb scissor type volley and it should have been a penalty. One or two passes didn't quite find him either when he'd got into good positions so it could have been quite different. Not sure i would have made the change of Best that Bowyer did and when he did but to be fair it nearly worked and we were good value for a point. We got a stroke of luck at the end of the Bumley game but on Sunday it went the other way.

It's only easy if the keeper plays well and makes important saves. if your goalkeeper gets MOTM it suggests your team as a whole struggled to cope with the opposition.

It was more that there were no stand out performances as Wigan didn't threaten too much to make us last ditch at any point and we had ten men so it was never going to go to an attacking player. If any goals went in aside from the ones that did, Kean would be getting major stick on here and rightly so.

It didn't even feel like we were playing with ten men.

For me, I'd have taken Rhodes off.

Looking at the game and the fact that we were down to 10 men, Best was the best option as an out ball to relieve the pressure and defend a higher line. Just my opinion.

GB obviously thought differently and as he's the guy making the decisions, he will no doubt have had reasons for making the changes he did.

A number of people would have been quite happy to see Best burned at the stake on here a few weeks ago. Now after a couple of games we'd have left him on and taken off a guy who has just scored 8 in 9 games. If the ref was up to scratch he would have awarded us a penalty, which Rhodes would have won (or Rhodes may well have scored from said shot) and quite probably converted, putting us two up. A draw at least I'd suggest.

It's a tough gig this Rovers managerial lark. More so than ever posters on here are up and down showing wild mood swings. Is there no middle ground? As gutting as it was to lose the game so late on we really should take a lot of heart from the effort and team spirit shown on the day, it's encouraging to say the least. We'll win more than we'll lose playing like that and with winnable games, IMO, coming up we may get on a little run (just a shame that Ince has a touchline ban, that's not helped us).

If Best was left on and Rhodes taken off and we'd have sat back and launched the ball in his direction all second half yet the score finished stayed the same then Best would be getting hammered again. Oh and Bowyer probably. I just don't see what this guy has done yet in a Rovers shirt to make some people think he should take preference over our top goal scorer. They obviously decided to sit deep and hit on the break and knowing that chances would be very rare then Rhodes is the man you want that chance to fall to.

• Backroom

It was more that there were no stand out performances as Wigan didn't threaten too much to make us last ditch at any point and we had ten men so it was never going to go to an attacking player. If any goals went in aside from the ones that did, Kean would be getting major stick on here and rightly so.

It didn't even feel like we were playing with ten men.

What an odd thing to say. Surely that means he just did his job, and yet you put it in a negative light.

That's now 2 games where Kean hasn't cost us points. While it's nothing to write home about it's better than he's played since the league opener. If he begins to return to last season's form with these little confidence boosts, I hope you'll praise him rather than play the 'what if' card?

A number of people would have been quite happy to see Best burned at the stake on here a few weeks ago. Now after a couple of games we'd have left him on and taken off a guy who has just scored 8 in 9 games. If the ref was up to scratch he would have awarded us a penalty, which Rhodes would have won (or Rhodes may well have scored from said shot) and quite probably converted, putting us two up. A draw at least I'd suggest.

It's a tough gig this Rovers managerial lark. More so than ever posters on here are up and down showing wild mood swings. Is there no middle ground? As gutting as it was to lose the game so late on we really should take a lot of heart from the effort and team spirit shown on the day, it's encouraging to say the least. We'll win more than we'll lose playing like that and with winnable games, IMO, coming up we may get on a little run (just a shame that Ince has a touchline ban, that's not helped us).

Who, exactly do you think you are? Coming on here talking so much sense. Sorry but I'm gonna have to put you on ignore...

I have said on many occasions that I feel he's our only forward who's game transfers to the top league....Still think that

What an odd thing to say. Surely that means he just did his job, and yet you put it in a negative light.

That's now 2 games where Kean hasn't cost us points. While it's nothing to write home about it's better than he's played since the league opener. If he begins to return to last season's form with these little confidence boosts, I hope you'll praise him rather than play the 'what if' card?

I was happy with his performance. I was merely saying that he wasn't 'magnificent' as someone said, and explaining that him getting man of the match didn't mean we got battered.

You have to look at the full context of the post. I also specifically said I hoped the MOM would be good for his confidence.

You're spot on Bob of course, I'm likeminded with you where I can't understand where so many previous prominent posters have disappeared to and why.

• Backroom

I was happy with his performance. I was merely saying that he wasn't 'magnificent' as someone said, and explaining that him getting man of the match didn't mean we got battered.

You have to look at the full context of the post. I also specifically said I hoped the MOM would be good for his confidence.

My apologies. It just seemed like an unnecessary negative. As you say tho, context.

My apologies. It just seemed like an unnecessary negative. As you say tho, context.

It unfortunately can get that way when you're defending a point and don't explain fully or repeat the context, which is frustrating. It's why so many online arguments end up so tangled. No need to apologise.

• 6 months later...

Totally unprofessional behaviour from Hanley. No suprise really, as we have all seen similar incidents from him this and last season. Ticking timebomb, waiting to explode, likes being the big man, resident tough guy and is more than willing to run 50 yards to get involved in any niggles that occur anywhere on the pitch. Instrumental in our defeat at weekend and ruined what was potentially a hugely important three points. Gutted that momentum is lost in this way and hugely frustrated.

That said, Hanley has been very good this season and last for the most. He has gained us far more points than he has cost us and is one of the first names down on the team sheet. Will only get better and if he can eradicate the childishness we have witnessed whilst retaining his strength and aggression will develope into an accomplished centre half. I like a bit of spite in defensive players, but there is no place for stupid thuggery.

Time to move on and hope he has learnt from this.

Would you say that if we lose the next 3 ?

After being 1 up when he was sent off and ultimately losing at Wigan Handley missed 4 more matches (Charlton H, BlackpoolA, BoroH and BrightonA). In total we got 4 points out of a possible 15! How costly does that look now? Yet the big discussion is whether to sack or back the manager!

Archived