BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan predictions

It's not the lid itself that does the damage, it's the ability to seal the bottle and create a heavy object you can throw. Saying that, it's not beyond the wit of a determined individual to take in a selection of bottle tops - or a cork or other makeshift bung - and reseal it.

More likely they want you to buy more because you can't really save any and make it last.

No, I think it's more likely that they don't want missiles.

I don't think anybody at any point ever has brought in their own bottle top.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Wouldn't put it past Leeds or Millwall fans. I imagine burnley fans may try tearing off that 6th digit too.

I have taken tops in at several grounds after having had to remove them due to idiotic regulations. I have argued with stewards about the merits of this and then being allowed to buy scalding hot drinks inside the stadium. I know what I would rather get hit with.

Ironically it's the spectators that are more at risk from players and managers than the other way around. Think Andrews and Ince.

Maybe they should outlaw tops on the bottles of the players drink bottles...

I think the best bet would be to see how he responds to this. Far too early to risk outcasting him with severe punishments. This could be good for him in the future.

I agree with this - after calming down.

Hanley has been (on the whole) excellent this season - but it is not the first time that he has got himself involved in situations that could lead to bookings or red cards - in truth, especially early season, this always looked likely. He now has three matches to contemplate the error of his ways - and hopefully it will help improve him as a player. Better he learn the lesson now - than at the business end of the season - or even worse against Burnley !

I have taken tops in at several grounds after having had to remove them due to idiotic regulations. I have argued with stewards about the merits of this and then being allowed to buy scalding hot drinks inside the stadium. I know what I would rather get hit with.

I stand corrected. Didn't think people would put that much effort in. I'm not sure you'd get many taking bottle tops in for the reason of using it as a missile, though.

But anyway, I agree that it is a stupid rule.

So is Lee Williamson a hero?

Paul the point I was making is yes willo was deservedly sent off vs the dingles he got punished for it and accepted but then the dingles should have had players sent off as well for punching Marshall in the face and other dirty off the ball incidents the point I'm making is the ref needs to be fair and send off players according to seriousness of both sides but in the first few weeks of the season it is that rovers players are getting cards justified but when the opposition badly attacks one of our players the ref tends to turn a blind eye the same I believe happened at wigan our players get cards yet wigan get away with daylight robbery.

Totally unprofessional behaviour from Hanley. No suprise really, as we have all seen similar incidents from him this and last season. Ticking timebomb, waiting to explode, likes being the big man, resident tough guy and is more than willing to run 50 yards to get involved in any niggles that occur anywhere on the pitch. Instrumental in our defeat at weekend and ruined what was potentially a hugely important three points. Gutted that momentum is lost in this way and hugely frustrated.

That said, Hanley has been very good this season and last for the most. He has gained us far more points than he has cost us and is one of the first names down on the team sheet. Will only get better and if he can eradicate the childishness we have witnessed whilst retaining his strength and aggression will develope into an accomplished centre half. I like a bit of spite in defensive players, but there is no place for stupid thuggery.

Time to move on and hope he has learnt from this.

Would you say that if we lose the next 3 ?

Personally I'll move on the next time he turns out for us just as so long as he's been booked in for the anger management classes. :tu: . Till then he can continue to take some stick.

Would you say that if we lose the next 3 ?

Personally I'll move on the next time he turns out for us just as so long as he's been booked in for the anger management classes. :tu: . Till then he can continue to take some stick.

There's the whammy. Missing matches through stupidity and possibly damaging us further. Head shakingly stupid behaviour, but what can you do? He isn't the first.

Why do you come on this board? Just to feed on and provoke anything that you think is negative? Sad sad individual.

Please read back the last few days of my posts. More positive than than negative.

And who says I'm an individual?

Totally unprofessional behaviour from Hanley. No suprise really, as we have all seen similar incidents from him this and last season. Ticking timebomb, waiting to explode, likes being the big man, resident tough guy and is more than willing to run 50 yards to get involved in any niggles that occur anywhere on the pitch. Instrumental in our defeat at weekend and ruined what was potentially a hugely important three points. Gutted that momentum is lost in this way and hugely frustrated.

That said, Hanley has been very good this season and last for the most. He has gained us far more points than he has cost us and is one of the first names down on the team sheet. Will only get better and if he can eradicate the childishness we have witnessed whilst retaining his strength and aggression will develope into an accomplished centre half. I like a bit of spite in defensive players, but there is no place for stupid thuggery.

Spot on. Both regarding Hanley and how the game was going.

However, I feel that he'll learn more if Dann and Kilgallon form a good partnership and he has to fight - probably a bad choice of words, I mean work very hard - to get his way back into the side. That would probably make him reflect a lot more about his conduct on the field, but if he walks back into the team, I wonder how much he'll have learned...

Moving on - we have to. Although in such a competitive league, who knows 3 points for the taking could make a world of difference. Would be a gutting if this comes back to bite us late on in the season.

In the debate re Hanley , I'm surprised that nobody else who went has mentioned the incident a few minutes before the sending off that I feel may have been the starter for why Hanley did what he did.

Its when there was the scramble at the edge of our box ( and when the Wigan fans and players thought they should have had a freekick) and Hanley was in the midst of it and managed to win the ball rightly in my opinion ( and only one of a few times the awful ref did also) - but he and Powell had a right tangle then and Hanley looked like he was getting some unwarranted kicks at his backside - or that's how it appeared.

Now its no defence of Hanley as he should not have done what he did but I feel this may have been the carry over from it.

I thought we could have made a better fight of it at 10 men rather than sitting as deep as we did as others have said, as Wigan can actually pass the ball about and we gave them the space and time to enable them to do this.

As also mentioned, bringing Best off was the wrong decision for me as I feel he would have done a better job of holding up the ball or at least working the Wigan defence more instead of Rhodes who I thought was pretty poor overall compared to the other players.

Anyway, as many have said - things are improving and there were many positives to be taken from the game just a shame that yet again with a large following, Rovers manage to put their foot it in it and end up losing the game.

As also mentioned, bringing Best off was the wrong decision for me as I feel he would have done a better job of holding up the ball or at least working the Wigan defence more instead of Rhodes who I thought was pretty poor overall compared to the other players.

And there lies the Rhodes dilema - I agree I would have personally considered leaving on Best, and taking off Rhodes - but with a decent referee, Rhodes snap shot would have led to a penalty and (with Rhodes taking the penalty) most likely three points.

Archived