BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

People did it and much more before they had cars. It's probably quicker than by road too.

it's really not. I know people did it before they had cars. Used to walk everywhere with 4 kids in tow when I couldn't drive. Doesn't mean I'd want to do it now. I use public transport when it makes sense eg in cities, or on longer journeys such as when I went to London the other week. I use the car when I have to be at work for 8.15 when to get there by public transport would mean my leaving the house before 7 and most days arriving dripping wet at rams greave only to have to walk the best part of another mile. Doesn't make any kind of sense to me

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The system is booloxed. Gummed up with red tape, political agenda's and ne'er do wells. Time for a fresh start based on an individuals historical financial contributions to the NHS. Anybody in work should be prioritised before others so they can get back to work asap.

Thenodrog thats what private health is designed for. BUPA etc..,

• Backroom

Funnily enough I had to pop into town today and for the first time since moving here last year decided to get the train (cherry tree station is a 2 minute walk) into blackburn

My main reason for it was because the little one loves trains and it was exciting for him but it was great £1.90 return and there in 5 minutes, the problem is there is just one an hour which can be restrictive

On the flip side we got the train from Blackburn to Manchester 2 Saturdays ago and it was a joke one of the busiest shopping days of the year and there was 2 carriages both dangerously crammed

I like the train and use it regularly to get to Manchester. Under 20 minutes from Rochdale to Manchester Victoria is good going. I suppose it all depends where you want to go. I used to get the train to Rovers in the past. Rochdale to Manchester, Manchester to Blackburn. You had to go extra early just in case the hourly Manchester to Blackburn train was cancelled, which it was from time to time.

We'd get the 5.35 train from Blackburn station back to Manchester. Two carriages no matter who we were playing or what day it was ! That got us into Victoria just in time to miss our train back to Rochdale. So we'd either a long wait on the platform or we could go into that fly blown bar on Victoria station.

I'd leave home about 11.00 in the morning and get back about 8.30 at night. All this for a journey you could do in half an hour each way in the car. I'd also say I can recall plenty of journeys were one or more of these four trains were just cancelled or late arriving.

All in all not a pleasant experience and if you wanted to go out on that Saturday night you were seriously stuffed.

I think things have improved recently but it's still not great.

Train services could be great if they were a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible; ran later into the evening; ran more frequently; had better security at night (including stations). Did I mention they need to be cheaper?

Oh, and the same for bus services.

I like the train and use it regularly to get to Manchester. Under 20 minutes from Rochdale to Manchester Victoria is good going. I suppose it all depends where you want to go. I used to get the train to Rovers in the past. Rochdale to Manchester, Manchester to Blackburn. You had to go extra early just in case the hourly Manchester to Blackburn train was cancelled, which it was from time to time.

We'd get the 5.35 train from Blackburn station back to Manchester. Two carriages no matter who we were playing or what day it was ! That got us into Victoria just in time to miss our train back to Rochdale. So we'd either a long wait on the platform or we could go into that fly blown bar on Victoria station.

I.

There's going to be big improvements in local rail travel soon.

The 'Todmorden curve' has recently been reinstated which means that there will be direct trains from Rochdale to Blackburn for the first time in more than 50 years. The Blackburn - Bolton line is going to be redoubled which will lead to increased capacity and more trains on the Clitheroe - Manchester route. Hopefully it will be electrified soon too.

So here's another rant. Dr bleeding Beeching and the damage he caused to the national rail system. Many of those closed lines would be very useful now.

When you come to get your gloves out of your pockets they're always the wrong way around.

There's going to be big improvements in local rail travel soon.

The 'Todmorden curve' has recently been reinstated which means that there will be direct trains from Rochdale to Blackburn for the first time in more than 50 years. The Blackburn - Bolton line is going to be redoubled which will lead to increased capacity and more trains on the Clitheroe - Manchester route. Hopefully it will be electrified soon too.

So here's another rant. Dr bleeding Beeching and the damage he caused to the national rail system. Many of those closed lines would be very useful now.

I agree with that, very short sighted decisions were made then. In years to come getting it all back running again will be hard to achieve. It's a bit like shutting down the coal mines

I've not been on the last trains on saturdays too often but everytime I have (Clitheroe mainly) nobody has bothered to ask for either tickets or money. Obvious reasons I suppose but if they could get that sorted then maybe later trains might be introduced.

Guest Norbert

Not so much a rant, but more of a question. I'm not icon of fashion and beauty, but what is it with young people and the trend for Rick Astley inspired hairdos? I was out last night and they're everywhere.

I wish they would run a later(after midnight) train back to Blackburn from Manchester, such a downer having to rush to catch the last train after going to a gig, show, ect.. without being able to relax and have a few drinks afterwards before coming home.

It's the same where I live in Rochdale in spite of the fact we're on the Bradford, Leeds main line. Manchester 24 hour city - they're having a laugh.

Having said that I wouldn't want to be on the " @#/? Head Express " that is the last train !

• Moderation Lead

I wish they would run a later(after midnight) train back to Blackburn from Manchester, such a downer having to rush to catch the last train after going to a gig, show, ect.. without being able to relax and have a few drinks afterwards before coming home.

Me and my mate were saying the exact same thing the other day.

Ballache.

Is it? So why is it seen as a benefit in kind and taxed? Not only that but if one has private health insurance why is their no rebate on Nat Health contributions?

Now thats a bit too deep for me to answer Theno though one would think that due to the main business corporations NOT paying into the system through tax, then its got to come from somewhere else one would think thus theres no room for a rebate.

Finding a space on a busy supermarket car park and starting to turn into it, only to find that some lazy pig has left their shopping trolley in it because they can't be arsed to push it a few yards to the nearest collection point. Probably a fat person who had filled it with pizzas and coke.

This is topical at the moment:

People, when they have parties, turning up the volume so that the whole neighbourhood knows their preference in music.

I hate being at such does. You have to shout to be heard.

To those that are going to do it around my suburb, I hope your speakers blow along with your eardrums.

Horse riders - I have many issues, a could rant all day about middle class women and their 'babies', women incapable of having keangasm with another human, blocking the road with their dumb animals etc but recently one thing has really got on my moobs; Nice day Sunday, decided to take my newly-turned three year old twins for a spin on their new scooters that santa brought. Astley Park was choice of venue and what do I find, the paths were full of horse kean. Why is it socially acceptable to just let your horse constantly kean itself when out and about? It might be good for the roses but I don't want to have to weave my round piles of the stuff and before anyone say its just straw, keanocks, the straw has gone in the mouth and come out the bum, it's gone through the same digestion process as the curry I ate last night, do you mind if I pop my bum out and kean my way all through Astley Park?

Archived