BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

There is no anti Rhodes crew that I have seen

Anyway I agree with others we can't just sack or suspend without pay. If he was found not guilty we'd have an almighty lawsuit on our hands I imagine

Surely we could pay his money to a third party until innocence or guilt is proven? Whether the accusations actually render him unavailable for selection thereby effectively breaking his contract I couldn't even speculate. I don't even know if footballers contracts count as personal ones or business ones. If business then maybe a Force majeur clause is inserted. As I've said what I know about employment law can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

So if we can't stop paying DJ we will have him, Etuhu, Best and Robinson being paid about £114k a week but not currently being considered for the first team for various reasons.

Between these 4 we have a £6 million pound a year wage drain.

Correct but it's our own fault and nobody elses.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might find the no play no pay line a difficult one to argue in court. He has not been charged as yet and is therefore, technically, free to play for the club. The fact that the club will opt not to play him is the club's decision, and obviously a sensible one, but under those circumstances he is, quite rightly, entitled to be paid until the situation changes. If he admits the charges that is a different matter but there is no suggestion that he has and so is still a Blackburn Rovers player and will have to be paid unless the club offer to pay his contract up in full and give him a free transfer.

Fair Comment

I'm sure there would be ways, fair point though, hopefully your right and it's just an isolated incident at the club.

P.s. Just out of curiosity, does your board name mean anything?

Yh Im sure there would be some way of moving the cash into rovers, but it would be a huge risk

Nah board name is just my username for pc at work. Dont know why I didnt pick something cooler/funnier :(

It seems like the other clubs involved have suspended players without pay or cancelled their contracts. I don't see why we have to be any different.

The fact he was brought in by Shaw and was another one signed in strange circumstances with a various snouts in the trough then i doubt they'll suspend his contact. Those snouts will still want feeding their scraps no doubt, unless the order comes from Pune of course.

If we do continue to pay him (without him playing) then surely IF he is found guilty we could claim those wages back?

The trouble is if he knows he's giulty and in danger of that happening he can move all his money around/hide it and proclaim not to have the funds to pay us

I come back to the point that he is employed to provide a service that the current allegations make it impossible to render.

If his lawyers are indicating that he is going to fight the allegations with all energy, then Rovers have a problem.

On the other hand, if he is being offered a plea bargaining deal and is considering it.... then the Rovers lawyers (oh no the chap who said our current Chairman had gone rogue etc???) should be looking at suing Campbell to recover past wages, never mind firing him forthwith.

As usual you are talking complete and utter rubbish Philip.

What is preventing him from playing? Has he had a leg removed whilst being held in custody for questioning?

If he says he is innocent of all accusations then as far as he is concerned he is available for selection as before, nothing has changed. It must be a Club decision to suspend him though surely to maintain the integrity and reputation of the Club, or at least what's left of it.

If he admits it, it's a different scenario. We'd have grounds for firing him with immediate effect sure, but talk of suing him to recover wages paid to date is pure pie in the sky unless it could be shown that he was involved in a constant pattern of illegal activities ever since we signed him.

Edit: If you don't believe me read Parson's posts on the subject again. They sum up the situation extremely well.

We will see Revidge.

By the way would you happily play alongside DJ in a Rovers shirt on Saturday?

As for suing the player, I think we can be certain that none of the alleged bribes were for playing better, making himself available for the team more often, helping Rovers win etc. You know the sorts of things he is paid £20K a week to do for the club.

I don't know what you do for a living rb but if I took, say, £30k from a third party to deliberately mess up my work for my employers making it more difficult for them to achieve their objectives, I would be thinking about the risk of my employers coming after me for civil damages and recovery of moneys paid to me.

As far as I understand it, Rovers will not be able to say or do anything that implies DJ is guilty as that might, in theory at least, prejudice any future trial. Or, rather, to be more specific, it could prejudice a 'not guilty' verdict.

At the moment, and unless and until he is convicted at a trial, he is not guilty of any crime.

Archived