BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does read like he has been through a bereavement or something bad has happened to him. The reality being he has probably cheated, broken the law and not been doing what he is contractually obliged to do.

Time off to spend with family whilst on full-pay - nobody will ever dare cheat again!

• Backroom

It could be more likely that the club are playing it with a straight bat to avoid potential difficulties down the line.

Definitely. Until the lawyers and other parties have come to a strong conclusion this is the wisest course of action.

Shelf is gullible enough whilst the players pal Gaz won't want to rock the boat

if you substitute holiday for the word suspension then I'm on board. rovers really need to consider their words better. Unfortunately bawa I think you're right GB is more a mate than a manager. I hope I'm wrong but he just doesn't seem ruthless enough.

Leon Best?

Firstly in advance I will apologise as one or two of my reasons will not be well received. So we'll start with those first:

Judge and Taylor for the Ipswich match being allowed not to play because a friend died. Yes I know. But you don't see this at other clubs, yes it's given for close relatives, some even play through, but even I would struggle to get that at work. Now the reason I say this is because Taylor was MOM against leeds, we are falling away from the play-offs and desperately need to get a string of results together. The last person you want to drop is Taylor and yet. If it was Taylor who went to Bowyer then he has to turn it round and use it to motivate him into playing. We then allow another AM/winger who has been playing to have the night of as well. Points lost. I'm sure there was another as well.

Jake Kean should have been dropped weeks ago and Eastman given a chance. I think his relationship with Kean (given the press release) has gotten in the way here. Eastman did alright by all accounts. This has cost us points.

Leon Best, you do not get involved with the fans like him. Dropping him? not enough fine him the maximum, lay down the law. He was that troubled and worried about the first time he did it again. Fine him again. Leon is making a mug of GB with his actions to date. (twitter, blackpool etc) It's almost like he doesn't fear the repercussions so carries on acting like a petulant child. Leon best just seems to do what he wants and strolls round the pitch like he's at a picnic. Do whatever it takes to get in his head (by that I don't mean nice things) and force him to up his game. Not having a back-up/rival to JR has cost us points. If you want him out dump him with the kids, he'd love that. How long would Bests ego cope with that before he's calling his agent begging for a move. GB had to set the tone with the first incident of any player acting out and bringing the club into disrupt (I know).

Jordan Rhodes, sometimes he needs to be subbed. I know he has started doing this but he needs to take him of sooner. 10 minutes is no time to get into the game for his replacement and JR looks almost comfortable these days subbing him early will keep him on his toes and driven.

In matches when it's 30 or so to go you need to be looking to take an advantage on the opposition. But Bowyer is always loyal to his starting line-up and gives them as much time as possible. Again you don't really see others doing this. You showed faith by starting him and if after 60 he's still done Kean all then it's not been repaid and off you come. .

Jason Lowe, sometimes like the others he's pants and needs dropping but he won't do it. Williamson has shown himself to be more than able in that role and yet he won't do it. even when Cairney runs the show from CM he still refuses to do it. When your pants you get dropped, they have to work harder to get back in and improve. Reward failure and you make it success.

Press releases when he's too familiar with the players calling them mate (can't remember the exact term) etc. When we play pants tell it like it is, you don't have to be harsh but you can acknowledge it. We weren't on our game today but I'm sure WE will put it right next time. Again he defends them to the hilt and it takes an Ipswich fiasco to promte a bit of anger.

The Murphy transfer, sit him down tell him that's that and get him to sign there and then just like leeds did. Don't give him time.

All the unwanted players like Etuhu etc being given a second chance. Force them to find a move from day one. Lets look at another club in similar financial poo and with some players on silly money they don't want. Wolves. Who does Jamie O'hara for example train with the first team? no the kids (reported in press), others are there as well and others have been. They play for the ressies sometimes, league cup or non-entity cup and they all hate it. Each one of them is scrabbling around organizing their own moves to other clubs. What are ours doing about leaving when they know they have no future here? How many high earners are left at wolves??? Obviously the people above him don't help in this matter, but is GB doing his bit? Jackett's doing his.

Can i stop there if that's OK, I'm hungry and want me dinner.

• Backroom

Yeah, great post Majiball, agree with pretty much all of it.

Is it just me that thinks - who could deal with all the points made very well? = Graeme Souness.

I don't even mean manager or D of F, have never understood why more often in football some-one can't just come in as a consultant on a short term basis like happens in other professions.

If I were Venky's, I would offer him a relatively hefty wage for a 6 month spell (money is peanuts in the big picture), bonus for promotion, and just send him to advise Bowyer, sort out the discipline, help with training methods etc and basically give his vast experience.

Imagine the lift it could give the young players seeing some-one like that around.

And I don't buy in to all negativity about no-one touching us with a bargepole as a club. Money always talks and it would be a major feather in the cap for some-one like GS to help take a club from the turmoil we have been in, to promotion again for the 2nd time on his CV.

Anyway, if not GS, then some-one else of his ilk, just for the short term to lend experience to a very novice management set up. Oh well, it's nice to dream.

Yeah, great post Majiball, agree with pretty much all of it.

Is it just me that thinks - who could deal with all the points made very well? = Graeme Souness.

I don't even mean manager or D of F, have never understood why more often in football some-one can't just come in as a consultant on a short term basis like happens in other professions.

If I were Venky's, I would offer him a relatively hefty wage for a 6 month spell (money is peanuts in the big picture), bonus for promotion, and just send him to advise Bowyer, sort out the discipline, help with training methods etc and basically give his vast experience.

Imagine the lift it could give the young players seeing some-one like that around.

And I don't buy in to all negativity about no-one touching us with a bargepole as a club. Money always talks and it would be a major feather in the cap for some-one like GS to help take a club from the turmoil we have been in, to promotion again for the 2nd time on his CV.

Anyway, if not GS, then some-one else of his ilk, just for the short term to lend experience to a very novice management set up. Oh well, it's nice to dream.

suggested it before Bowyer was appointed, didn't go down to well on this board

• Backroom

Excellent post that Majiball, pretty much spot on.

What also gripes me is the players referring to him as 'Gaz'.

I've only seen that from Dunn. Not seen anyone else quoted as saying Gaz.

It was a great post maj. All of your points are realistic and well argued. Whether people agree with them or would personally use them in Bowyers shoes is another thing. But they stand up nonetheless.

However I am sure if someone scrutinised my performance after one year in my job they'd have an easy time picking me apart. If they did the same today then they would (hopefully) have a harder task coming up with my failings. I think in the current circumstances Bowyer is doing Ok. Not setting the world on fire by any means. But he's doing ok and far better than past incumbents. Thats not to say there is no room for improvement and its not endorsing his appointment. Experience was the order of the day but such is life. Your post mentioned kenny Jacket. Well he knows the game and has more savvy than Bowyer. But im prepared to let Bowyer learn his trade and I genuinely believe he will improve. Results and performances like Saturdays suggest to me this bloke has got a bit about him.

For me, I'm prepared to give Bowyer time because there's not a lot else we can do. Under Venkys/FFP, he's almost certainly the best BRFC can hope for. Even though we need a Souness MkII. Someone to give the players a rollicking rather than an unearned pat on the back.

Venkys don't seem to want a proper (experienced) manager around the place and we can't really afford one, without them wanting to make it happen.

He may come good or he may never get there but he does seem to have something about him. If we are honest though, he's a nice guy / no-agenda version of Kean, learning his trade.

He seems to have a fixation with playing Lowe though, and it may be that decision that ultimately makes or breaks him.

It was a great post maj. All of your points are realistic and well argued. Whether people agree with them or would personally use them in Bowyers shoes is another thing. But they stand up nonetheless.

However I am sure if someone scrutinised my performance after one year in my job they'd have an easy time picking me apart. If they did the same today then they would (hopefully) have a harder task coming up with my failings. I think in the current circumstances Bowyer is doing Ok. Not setting the world on fire by any means. But he's doing ok and far better than past incumbents. Thats not to say there is no room for improvement and its not endorsing his appointment. Experience was the order of the day but such is life. Your post mentioned kenny Jacket. Well he knows the game and has more savvy than Bowyer. But im prepared to let Bowyer learn his trade and I genuinely believe he will improve. Results and performances like Saturdays suggest to me this bloke has got a bit about him.

Thank you.

I'm in no way saying sack GB (typing GB makes me laugh, not much longer!) all I'm saying is it's an area that I feel he needs to improve. I realise in other jobs people are given time but this is football and everyone knows you don't get long, so you must get it right. I do wish we had an older more seasoned head on the staff ala Coppell is doing these days. You see as a staff we really are rather green. Bowyer and Mcphilips are 1st team for the first time, the staff left behind by kean/appleton have only seen failure (that's no reflection on them but if your only experience at 1st has been the last 3 years at rovers/pompey well it can't have been the best)(even the pompey people its been down down down at 2 clubs now), Short is not experienced at this level as a staff member, so I think the term green is fair. Now that's not me saying they're not up to it but any person who wants to be the best gets them selves a mentor who's done exactly that. A bit like a PhD, they have the ability but haven't done research before so need a guide and expertise to fall back on when stuck or troubled. I think it's a strong reason so many rookie managers fail and I'd rather GB did well than failed. But you're right we do need a bit of experience behind the scenes, a guide, a mentor, Bowyers and his staffs lack of savvy then isn't the disadvantage it currently is.

I'm also not saying be a ball bashing crazy man and kick your players to death at training ala Souness. But when you are in charge of and responsible for 30+ unique individuals with divergent backgrounds, cultures, believes and values, one can only run things one way and be successful. And that's with a stick when it's needed and a carrot when it's deserved. but one must also know when to use one and when to use the other and each player will be different. this means they require a different tact each to get the response you MUST get to increase your chances of getting the only thing that should matter to a 1st team manager. 3 points. GB clearly has a good carrot but I'm not convinced he's got a good stick.

For me, I'm prepared to give Bowyer time because there's not a lot else we can do. Under Venkys/FFP, he's almost certainly the best BRFC can hope for. Even though we need a Souness MkII. Someone to give the players a rollicking rather than an unearned pat on the back.

Venkys don't seem to want a proper (experienced) manager around the place and we can't really afford one, without them wanting to make it happen.

He may come good or he may never get there but he does seem to have something about him. If we are honest though, he's a nice guy / no-agenda version of Kean, learning his trade.

He seems to have a fixation with playing Lowe though, and it may be that decision that ultimately makes or breaks him.

Kean was unsackable !

Lowe is undroppable ! (not a word, I know)

Maybe Jason is Gary's eyes and ears in the camp

Maybe he trusts him implicitly and the fact that he's such a grafter for the team,he just overlooks his lack of skill at this level.

The trouble is we presume he has no mentor or senior figure helping him. I've heard him in numerous interviews say he's picked the brains of various managers. He also has his dad that is pretty experienced in this sport. You do make many a good points tho maj, but like said by others he is new to the gig and he's doing alot right, but no doubt will get some wrong also.

Ultimatley though until we have walked in his shoes we will never know the kean he has to deal with behind the scenes that influence his choices.

On the whole I think he has done a good job. Could he have done better? no doubt, but as we have seen he could also have done way way worse and the sad thing is we have to be somewhat gratefull for that

Archived