BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

Good manager Robson. Another one who resurrected the careers of bad boys was Clough although even he failed with Stan Bowles and to a lesser extent Stan Collymore. However Den would you care to speculate how the likes of Shanks, Revie, Ramsey and Ferguson would have dealt with such bad apples?

Wasn't it Ferguson who said that you can't deal with the modern footballer nowadays, as you used to?

I'm not defending Best, or really criticising Bowyer too much, although it might sound like it. My point really is that going public about disciplinary matters and dropping players, leaving the squad short, is more a failure of man management, than it is a sign of a good man manager.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Majiball, please don't get angry, it is never my intention to do that, particularly on a messageboard to faceless names, but I am afraid you have hit my trigger button, and hence my passion on the matter. But it was not intended to be an attack on you, or to make accusations about your personal views or characteristics. I just wanted to make that quite clear.

And what you have said above makes sense, and is to be lauded, we should all try and do better and examine ourselves in all situations to see if we could have dealt with them better. If more people in the world thought like that, then maybe it would be a better place to live.

It is the victim culture and the constant hiding from responsibility that I simply cannot stand.

One final example to show you what I mean, and i am sorry, but it is a pretty extreme one again.

When that care home was on the news recently detailing that awful abuse perpatrated on vulnerable elderly people, I was astounded by the amount of times the bosses were mentioned as being "to blame". The staff were not trained proerly, there wasn't adequate supervision, they weren't being managed properly etc etc is all I heard.

Now, if you operate a complex piece of machinery, don't get trained, and do damage with it, then yes, that is the bosses fault. If you are not trained properly what medication to give the patients and overdose some-one, yes, that is the bosses fault.

But if your drag an elderly person across the floor, slap them about, and pour cold water over them, that is not a training or supervision issue IMO, that is a you are a scumbag that has no place in society issue. There is no hiding from it. You shouldn't need to be taught not to physically abuse elderly people you are caring for. That should be a given. And yet, there they were trying to hide behind it and say it was some-one else's fault.

We let too many people escape from responsibility just because they had some-one higher up the chain above them that can also take some of the flak. But those people up the chain are just guilty of not being very good at their job, potentially being a bit lazy and taking their eye of the ball. Still pretty serious when you think that they are paid good wages to be responsible for people's welfare. But it was not malicious or intended. The people further down knew exactly what they were doing, and yet continued to do it, which makes them the lowest of the low.

I got the feeling you were insinuating that Best and GB were equally to blame for the recent events. And that is what I struggle with. One appears to me to be trying their hardest to be successful in their job role, and do everything they can to help the club. One appears to be doing the complete opposite. So, to lump them in together just seems backward to me. But hey ho, that's opinions for you, all different.

Hear hear again.

Ticks me off that people who commit sex crimes always fall back on the old defence that they were abused as a child. Absolute rubbish! If they were abused then they know how their victims feel. Similar with the usual defences trotted out for dickheads... I was drunk / I had lost my father / mother 2 years ago and have struggled to get over their loss / my girlfriend / wife left me etc etc etc.

Yes. Williams should have sacked him much earlier but dithered and Newcastle saved him making a decision. That plus the ludicrous appointment of Ince showed Williams did not always get it right.

Want he about hire sam then? But for an uproar from some fans he would hace I believe.

• Backroom

Fair enough Majiball, I get some of the points you are making.

Like you say, it is about equal blame or not, or percentages. And to me it's like 90% one's fault and 10% the other. So, why even focus on the 10%.

LB and DJ, amongst others, are 90% acting like total dickheads, and maybe 10% GB might not have handled some of it the best or could have done better. 80% elderly abusers, 20% negligent business owners. 95% burglar, 5% homeowner. I much prefer to focus on the larger one personally. In fact, more often than not, the smaller one is pretty irrelevant to me. It's just a byproduct.

But, again, as you say people, the media, the public, government officials, seem to blow up the tiny one, until suddenly that's all I'm seeing and hearing, and Mr. or Mrs.80/90% seems to just be loving life and skulking off into the shadows.

Both DJ Cambell and Best will be sat at home pissing themselves, and probably quite proud of their actions respectively, whilst our club continues to slip into the mire. They are both set for life and have the morals of alley cats. It's probably all giggles to them. At the same time I am sure GB is grafting his backside off to try and make things work during what is possibly the biggest chance of his career.

I know who I want to focus my attention on as the problem here. And hopefully, they are both currently being dealt with so it can be put to bed, we can forget about the pair of them, and move on and judge GB on managing the players that actually want to wear the shirt. Surely we can agree on that? :)

Wasn't it Ferguson who said that you can't deal with the modern footballer nowadays, as you used to?

I'm not defending Best, or really criticising Bowyer too much, although it might sound like it. My point really is that going public about disciplinary matters and dropping players, leaving the squad short, is more a failure of man management, than it is a sign of a good man manager.

You've described Souness' man management in a nutshell there Den!

LB and DJ, amongst others, are 90% acting like total dickheads, and maybe 10% GB might not have handled some of it the best or could have done better. 80% elderly abusers, 20% negligent business owners. 95% burglar, 5% homeowner. I much prefer to focus on the larger one personally. In fact, more often than not, the smaller one is pretty irrelevant to me. It's just a byproduct.

But, again, as you say people, the media, the public, government officials, seem to blow up the tiny one, until suddenly that's all I'm seeing and hearing, and Mr. or Mrs.80/90% seems to just be loving life and skulking off into the shadows.

Both DJ Cambell and Best will be sat at home pissing themselves, and probably quite proud of their actions respectively, whilst our club continues to slip into the mire. They are both set for life and have the morals of alley cats. It's probably all giggles to them. At the same time I am sure GB is grafting his backside off to try and make things work during what is possibly the biggest chance of his career.

I know who I want to focus my attention on as the problem here. And hopefully, they are both currently being dealt with so it can be put to bed, we can forget about the pair of them, and move on and judge GB on managing the players that actually want to wear the shirt. Surely we can agree on that? :)

As I have said many times the fault is with long contracts. Very lucrative short term 3 or 6 month rolling evergreen contracts with an appearence clause in would make them behave a whole lot better..... and if it didn't then so what they are soon out of the door. It'll come.

Fair enough Majiball, I get some of the points you are making.

Like you say, it is about equal blame or not, or percentages. And to me it's like 90% one's fault and 10% the other. So, why even focus on the 10%.

As I said i think we share similar views on quite a few aspects of life.

The reason I critic GB more than Best is simple, Best is lost now it's gone too far, GB is not lost and has shown at times he could potentially do well for us. I critic as he's worth critiquing, Best isn't.

It's impossible to motivate all and manipulate all. Ferguson failed more than once. But each player needs a different approach. You can say Souness's techniques wouldn't work these days but for some it will. And that's the key being adaptive, knowing your players and from there knowing what buttons to press to get the reaction you need. Hopefully GB will learn from the LB scenario and do better next time and get the result he needs to best benefit Rovers.

Am I reading that right? Cos it seems like the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever seen if I am.

This is exactly the problem with "this countries obsession", always innocent parties getting dragged into things through no fault of their own.

Few quick questions if I may?

Are you one of those that argues the point when a burglar gets shot up in the middle of the night? Are both parties to blame there cos they were both involved? Not a chance for me. One person only to blame, the scumbag sneaking into peoples houses as they have initially caused the situation, and set the whole thing in motion.

When a woman in a short skirt, with a bit too much Xmas drink involved, gets raped, is she to blame cos she was "involved"?

Extreme examples I know, but I genuinely can't believe what I have read, after your excellent post last night too.

There is only one person to blame for the Best situation, and that is the useless sack of skin Leon himself. He caused it all, he started acting up like a kean. The "blame" is all his in my book. Yes, you can analyse how GB has dealt with it and could things have been done differently, fair enough, that's only to be expected. But to use the word "blame" on his part is highly unfair for me.

One of his players started acting like a kean, then continued to do so for a prolonged period, and GB has looked at the situation and done his best to deal with it as he saw it.

Just cannot stand how in modern society the perpetrator, the instigator, the person who is guilty of wrongdoing, suddenly gets a load of the blame lifted off them and attached to some-one else who is undeserving of it. How the hell can that be? And from our own fans too.

No way. The guilty party should have all blame laid at their door, they should be forced to accept it, and made to deal with consequences. And that is exactly what should happen to Leon Best.

If we would stop handing out free passes to people in society, and pandering to them half the time, then maybe they would get the message and actually start acting like decent human beings occasionally. Particularly, in modern football.

In fact, modern football is an arena that illustrates this farce regularly. How many times do we see the old scuffle on the pitch, when the ref decides to give yellow cards to both players, for no obvious reason other than he can't think of anything else to do. Was it not Gamst that got a yellow card once for being punched? Unbelievable.

And this is the message we send out to the kids of today. Don't worry about acting like a @#/? too much, as it will always be you and your victim that gets blamed, so you will be able to hide from your responsibility most times.

Sorry for the rant, but jesus, it boils my kean.

And if I have misunderstood you then it was a gigantic waste of time and I look like a right moron.

I think you make a good case. Self responsibility is the issue for me. If Best makes comments on twitter that are aggressive/disrespectful to BRFC, then it is a refection on the inappropriately named ..er..footballer.

I used to hate it at work,,where people had been taking the p*** or done something well out of order and they successfully transferred the focus onto the fact that some manager had forgotten to dot an i or cross a t. Best has given the manager a load of problems. The responsibility for the behaviour belongs the overpaid,, self indulgent plonker.

The management will have more information than us on which to make their judgement about whether this player's skills can still be harnessed to make a positive contribution. Contra indicators might be be his negative attitude,behaviour and comments .....What I do know is that the club could do without this. I am also mindful that he was signed in the Shebby Singh/Coco era.

Archived