BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

Good post Maj.

In particular the points about Bowyer's handling of Best. Dropping him initially was heralded a bit of a master stroke by some fans, but dropping a player is easy- anyone can do that. What has it achieved? Nothing. The better managers sort these things out in private, get the player in the right frame of mind and get the player on the pitch. That's something a minority argued at the time. I certainly remember Tom arguing that as well.

Depends on the player, too. It's a two-way street between him and the manager. Nice sweeping generalization, though.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the player, too. It's a two-way street between him and the manager. Nice sweeping generalization, though.

Nothing to do with the player how a manager goes about his business. Dropping best publically didn't work did it? It might even have made things worse.

Common sense really.

If the player's a bad egg, which Leon Best invariably is, then the manager's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Trappatoni dropped him from the RoI squad because of his 'tude but then I guess he isn't an 'experienced manager' either.

If the player's a bad egg, which Leon Best invariably is, then the manager's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Trappatoni dropped him from the RoI squad because of his 'tude but then I guess he isn't an 'experienced manager' either.

Bobby Robson dealt with a squad of bad eggs at Newcastle. He could have done what you are in favour of - get tough and drop 'em. He didn't though. He sorted them out behind the scenes and got them on the park on a Saturday afternoon, doing the best they could for the club. Newcastle benefitted by being one of the best sides in the league - which they wouldn't have been if Robson had taken your course and dropped 'em all. That kind of management is much harder than castigating a player in public and leaving him out of a squad that has no other striker on the bench, but that's how a manager should work. At the end of the day though, if the player doesn't respond, then he has to go. I doubt Bowyers approach with Best would have been as popular if it had been with Rhodes. Fans just backed Bowyer on this one because Best is useless.

Ok ? So winning promotion then consolidating in the prem then winning the league cup is just ok. Oh ok then.

What most of us would do to re-live that era again..Friedel,Tugay,Jansen,Dunn and Duff in their prime.

Yes,it turned slightly sour for Souey(doesn't it all for most managers?) In the end but Jesus Christ,compared to the bilge we have now it was pure football heaven at Ewood.

It is interesting to see that Tranmere have taken a different approach in backing their players and publicly saying they have professed their innocence to the club.

The club are covering their backs nicely with the inclusion of their confessions. Ours gets a holiday, Best isn't available by all accounts and our loan striker was clearly not fit when signed, so now yet again we have no real back-up to Rhodes.

The only ray of hope for me is that finally Rochina might be played as a striker.

Eye on bigger things? He was washed up till Newcastle inexplicably stepped in and saved us a load of compensation for sacking him.

It was well known he was after the Spurs job in has last full season at Ewood. Some clubs were sniffing around him, a sign of the good job he did before the wheels fell off.

Bobby Robson dealt with a squad of bad eggs at Newcastle. He could have done what you are in favour of - get tough and drop 'em. He didn't though. He sorted them out behind the scenes and got them on the park on a Saturday afternoon, doing the best they could for the club. Newcastle benefitted by being one of the best sides in the league - which they wouldn't have been if Robson had taken your course and dropped 'em all. That kind of management is much harder than castigating a player in public and leaving him out of a squad that has no other striker on the bench, but that's how a manager should work. At the end of the day though, if the player doesn't respond, then he has to go. I doubt Bowyers approach with Best would have been as popular if it had been with Rhodes. Fans just backed Bowyer on this one because Best is useless.

I said that dropping him shows that Bowyer isn't a soft touch and that any kind of reconciliation is a joint responsibility between the manager the player. Arguing that Bowyer should have dropped him AND fined him six weeks' wages just sounds like pettifogging at this point. Best was dropped from the squad. It didn't have the desired reaction, because he was back on Instagram giving it the big I AM. Therefore that's Bowyer's fault? The guy's got a bad attitude and thinks he's bigger than the club. He's not playing in the first-team, and I'm sure the moment we can find a dumping ground for him, we'll take it. I don't think much if any blame can be laid at the manager's door for how this has played out. I'd rather we didn't have a recognised striker on the bench if the only other option is that waster.

As for your Rhodes point, that's just a nonsensical hypothesis. When Jordan acts in the same manner, we'll talk.

I said that dropping him shows that Bowyer isn't a soft touch and that any kind of reconciliation is a joint responsibility between the manager the player. Arguing that Bowyer should have dropped him AND fined him six weeks' wages just sounds like pettifogging at this point. Best was dropped from the squad. It didn't have the desired reaction, because he was back on Instagram giving it the big I AM. Therefore that's Bowyer's fault? The guy's got a bad attitude and thinks he's bigger than the club. He's not playing in the first-team, and I'm sure the moment we can find a dumping ground for him, we'll take it. I don't think much if any blame can be laid at the manager's door for how this has played out. I'd rather we didn't have a recognised striker on the bench if the only other option is that waster.

As for your Rhodes point, that's just a nonsensical hypothesis. When Jordan acts in the same manner, we'll talk.

Quick question if I may?

What was the ideal outcome from the initial Best situation?

Has this been achieved?

Was GB involved in it all?

Both parties are involved so blame (this countries obsession) is shared and irrelevant as both have fault as both are involved. It's not about who got things wrong everyone does it's about ensuring it never happens again. I'm very keen to see what happens if we see another Best situation at rovers in GB tenure.

Using the great Bobby Robson as a yardstick for Bowyer does perhaps seem a tad unfair. There aren't many who measure up in comparison.

Imo speculating over the Best situation is utterly pointless. Nobody knows if Bowyer was given carte blanche when dealing with that particular mess.

All I do know is he has a touch more class and dignity than some of the management we have become accustomed too. I fear one or two round here have short memories.

And I fear that people are allowing their like of GB to get in the way of the 'fact' that we must get promoted this season. As things stand that's not going to happen something needs to change (and that's not a call for a P45).

Why can people not use other managers who have had success as an indicator of aspects GB could improve? GB was very quick to tell everyone he learnt of Clough and his dad etc. So I'll ask this what would Clough have done to Best?

As I said yesterday maj, the appointment was wrong. But the blame for that doesn't lie with Bowyer. Once again, that little mishap is the fault of the dysfunctional family which claim to run us.

However, the Robson example is quite frankly tits. The bloke was streets ahead of any manager we've had in the last twenty years (or thereabouts). Now we see fit to gauge our rookie managers performance by the same standards. I'm pretty certain I know what Robson himself would have made of that.

Oh and the importance of promotion is not wasted on me. But going on past form I think I'd be happy to stick with what we've got. Because the next option could be anything from Janet Cranky to Harry Seacombe.

• Backroom

Both parties are involved so blame (this countries obsession) is shared and irrelevant as both have fault as both are involved. It's not about who got things wrong everyone does it's about ensuring it never happens again. I'm very keen to see what happens if we see another Best situation at rovers in GB tenure.

Am I reading that right? Cos it seems like the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever seen if I am.

This is exactly the problem with "this countries obsession", always innocent parties getting dragged into things through no fault of their own.

Few quick questions if I may?

Are you one of those that argues the point when a burglar gets shot up in the middle of the night? Are both parties to blame there cos they were both involved? Not a chance for me. One person only to blame, the scumbag sneaking into peoples houses as they have initially caused the situation, and set the whole thing in motion.

When a woman in a short skirt, with a bit too much Xmas drink involved, gets raped, is she to blame cos she was "involved"?

Extreme examples I know, but I genuinely can't believe what I have read, after your excellent post last night too.

There is only one person to blame for the Best situation, and that is the useless sack of skin Leon himself. He caused it all, he started acting up like a @#/?. The "blame" is all his in my book. Yes, you can analyse how GB has dealt with it and could things have been done differently, fair enough, that's only to be expected. But to use the word "blame" on his part is highly unfair for me.

One of his players started acting like a @#/?, then continued to do so for a prolonged period, and GB has looked at the situation and done his best to deal with it as he saw it.

Just cannot stand how in modern society the perpetrator, the instigator, the person who is guilty of wrongdoing, suddenly gets a load of the blame lifted off them and attached to some-one else who is undeserving of it. How the hell can that be? And from our own fans too.

No way. The guilty party should have all blame laid at their door, they should be forced to accept it, and made to deal with consequences. And that is exactly what should happen to Leon Best.

If we would stop handing out free passes to people in society, and pandering to them half the time, then maybe they would get the message and actually start acting like decent human beings occasionally. Particularly, in modern football.

In fact, modern football is an arena that illustrates this farce regularly. How many times do we see the old scuffle on the pitch, when the ref decides to give yellow cards to both players, for no obvious reason other than he can't think of anything else to do. Was it not Gamst that got a yellow card once for being punched? Unbelievable.

And this is the message we send out to the kids of today. Don't worry about acting like a @#/? too much, as it will always be you and your victim that gets blamed, so you will be able to hide from your responsibility most times.

Sorry for the rant, but jesus, it boils my @#/?.

And if I have misunderstood you then it was a gigantic waste of time and I look like a right moron.

Quick question if I may?

What was the ideal outcome from the initial Best situation?

Has this been achieved?

There wasn't an ideal outcome to this scenario. Apart from a purple patch at Newcastle, Best never been a prolific striker at any level. But somehow he has an unduly high opinion of himself and thinks he should be starting ahead of a 20+ goal a season striker. Probably because we're wittle old Blackburn. He's had chances to stake a claim, and despite some brief glimpses of ability, he's done nothing to justify a starting place. It's his responsibility to fight his way into the side and take his chance when it comes, like any professional would. When Best continued to chuck his toys out of the pram, he was dropped from the squad and made to train with the reserves. What more could Bowyer have done?

Silas, those are some seriously big assumptions and leaps from a discussion in essence about getting an employee who cannot be sacked to do the job he is paid for, to raping and shooting people and what i would do to those that did it?

I'm rather angry about what you have written.

However you have said pretty much the same as me, you say GB could have done something differently. That's the same as what I have said as if one could do something differently then they made a mistake. If they made a mistake that has contributed to the failing of hitting the ideal then they are not without blame. The Japanese would agree with me in the work-place. I have not said free rapists, shooting burglars is bad, neither have I said that's what I would do. The world is not black and white and this is definitely not now you have taken it to such and extreme and transferred it to hard core criminal activity.

For me there was an ideal scenario, Best starts doing what he has done at other clubs and gets on with it and does his job. This was not achieved and was GB's No1. target, No2 for example could be get rid, this hasn't happened either. GB set the punishment and it clearly did not have the affect desired. So I'm sorry whether you like it or not that was a mistake by GB and a mistake means he shoulder some fault or blame. That's not me saying Best should be exonerated, but in any situation I face in life when it doesn't work out, the first person i look too is myself and in my experience when it goes wrong I could have done something different and potentially changed the outcome to the one I have desired. I take blame, I was involved, I could have changed the outcome by doing something differently. IMO only if one does that can you point the finger at others and blame them.

• Backroom

Does it really matter ? No, I don't suppose relegation matters really.

You honestly think that letting Souness go and gaining compensation (rather than paying to sack him) is the reason we were relegated?

Either that or you just didn't read my post.

Maj your assuming there was a scenario in which Leon would perform on the pitch and ditch the attitude. I my opinion there is a good chance nothing bowyer did would have gotten the result you desire. He's just one of lifes wasters and GB has realised this and got him away from the 1st team squad.

• Backroom

Majiball, please don't get angry, it is never my intention to do that, particularly on a messageboard to faceless names, but I am afraid you have hit my trigger button, and hence my passion on the matter. But it was not intended to be an attack on you, or to make accusations about your personal views or characteristics. I just wanted to make that quite clear.

And what you have said above makes sense, and is to be lauded, we should all try and do better and examine ourselves in all situations to see if we could have dealt with them better. If more people in the world thought like that, then maybe it would be a better place to live.

It is the victim culture and the constant hiding from responsibility that I simply cannot stand.

One final example to show you what I mean, and i am sorry, but it is a pretty extreme one again.

When that care home was on the news recently detailing that awful abuse perpatrated on vulnerable elderly people, I was astounded by the amount of times the bosses were mentioned as being "to blame". The staff were not trained proerly, there wasn't adequate supervision, they weren't being managed properly etc etc is all I heard.

Now, if you operate a complex piece of machinery, don't get trained, and do damage with it, then yes, that is the bosses fault. If you are not trained properly what medication to give the patients and overdose some-one, yes, that is the bosses fault.

But if your drag an elderly person across the floor, slap them about, and pour cold water over them, that is not a training or supervision issue IMO, that is a you are a scumbag that has no place in society issue. There is no hiding from it. You shouldn't need to be taught not to physically abuse elderly people you are caring for. That should be a given. And yet, there they were trying to hide behind it and say it was some-one else's fault.

We let too many people escape from responsibility just because they had some-one higher up the chain above them that can also take some of the flak. But those people up the chain are just guilty of not being very good at their job, potentially being a bit lazy and taking their eye of the ball. Still pretty serious when you think that they are paid good wages to be responsible for people's welfare. But it was not malicious or intended. The people further down knew exactly what they were doing, and yet continued to do it, which makes them the lowest of the low.

I got the feeling you were insinuating that Best and GB were equally to blame for the recent events. And that is what I struggle with. One appears to me to be trying their hardest to be successful in their job role, and do everything they can to help the club. One appears to be doing the complete opposite. So, to lump them in together just seems backward to me. But hey ho, that's opinions for you, all different.

Good manager Robson. Another one who resurrected the careers of bad boys was Clough although even he failed with Stan Bowles and to a lesser extent Stan Collymore. However Den would you care to speculate how the likes of Shanks, Revie, Ramsey and Ferguson would have dealt with such bad apples?

Am I reading that right? Cos it seems like the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever seen if I am.

This is exactly the problem with "this countries obsession", always innocent parties getting dragged into things through no fault of their own.

Few quick questions if I may?

Are you one of those that argues the point when a burglar gets shot up in the middle of the night? Are both parties to blame there cos they were both involved? Not a chance for me. One person only to blame, the scumbag sneaking into peoples houses as they have initially caused the situation, and set the whole thing in motion.

When a woman in a short skirt, with a bit too much Xmas drink involved, gets raped, is she to blame cos she was "involved"?

Extreme examples I know, but I genuinely can't believe what I have read, after your excellent post last night too.

There is only one person to blame for the Best situation, and that is the useless sack of skin Leon himself. He caused it all, he started acting up like a kean. The "blame" is all his in my book. Yes, you can analyse how GB has dealt with it and could things have been done differently, fair enough, that's only to be expected. But to use the word "blame" on his part is highly unfair for me.

One of his players started acting like a kean, then continued to do so for a prolonged period, and GB has looked at the situation and done his best to deal with it as he saw it.

Just cannot stand how in modern society the perpetrator, the instigator, the person who is guilty of wrongdoing, suddenly gets a load of the blame lifted off them and attached to some-one else who is undeserving of it. How the hell can that be? And from our own fans too.

No way. The guilty party should have all blame laid at their door, they should be forced to accept it, and made to deal with consequences. And that is exactly what should happen to Leon Best.

If we would stop handing out free passes to people in society, and pandering to them half the time, then maybe they would get the message and actually start acting like decent human beings occasionally. Particularly, in modern football.

In fact, modern football is an arena that illustrates this farce regularly. How many times do we see the old scuffle on the pitch, when the ref decides to give yellow cards to both players, for no obvious reason other than he can't think of anything else to do. Was it not Gamst that got a yellow card once for being punched? Unbelievable.

And this is the message we send out to the kids of today. Don't worry about acting like a @#/? too much, as it will always be you and your victim that gets blamed, so you will be able to hide from your responsibility most times.

Sorry for the rant, but jesus, it boils my kean.

Hear hear.

Do you see what has happened and why? Your response was clearly one of passion because you taken have offence to what I have written. Like yourself that was not my intent but it's clearly touched a nerve because of the examples you have used. However at that stage I'm not really 100% sure why it has evoked such a reaction. So for the conversation to progress I need a) to placate your passion/anger and get us both on the same level B) to gain clarity over why I have evoked such a reaction c) bring it back round so that we can find middle ground and move forward. Now as you have said I touched a nerve so I know you're a reasonable person,(I read your posts) have some respect for what I post (comment last night and before) but your annoyed, you haven't been abusive in your response so are trying to be reasonable but there is a way for me to get us instantly on the same level. I join you in the angry/passion zone by saying you have done to me what I have done to you with your reply. Now it may or not work but has a strong chance given on what I know. The reply to my reply shows it has, thankfully. a achieved. Now I still don't know why, so I explain why I have said what I have said ensure all throughout the reply is calm and reasonable so as not to further annoy. Next so we can move forward I explain who I am as a person and what I do in those situations. Now I write those as that's what I need from you to gain the knowledge to achieve c. And we will now as we do share common ground in our views.

I wouldn't take the same approach with all, last time I posted Kean, Kean Kean, Kean all over this message board as I wanted the person to stop replying in the manner he did to me and to explain himself more. Asking didn't work so I went extreme to make my point and hit it home hard. Sorry to all. But it worked as every response since has been reasonable and explained. same response desired but different approaches to gain the same response.

I used the word share and by that you derive equally as is common but that wasn't what I meant as I perceive giving one smartie from my tube to my mate as sharing and have assumed others will as well (my mistake). No way on earth am I saying not in a million years that GB not punishing him harder or any of the other comments compare to mouthing of to our fans, fighting on the pitch (more than once) or now allegedly (best word ever) pissing on our pitch as that's what Blackburn is. God no, but I make assumptions on others knowledge and that of me in almost every thing I write (and I write a lot, sadly these days). On your example I would just say this, the people who apportion the major part of the blame are those that committed the crimes by abusing the elderly. However whilst not to the same extreme as the papers, I would say it is neglectful of those running the carehome to be so distant from both their staff and customers that that was allowed to carry on. I would also question the recruitment process and look at trying to increase the odds of not hiring people who are clearly deserving of their own confinement (jail). It in no way compares to what the abusers have done, but perhaps could have helped prevent it/stop it sooner. Should they go to jail as well, no not at all but they should be told to do better and try and ensure it doesn't happen again, firmly. So again we actually agree and always had. I also completely agree that we pass the buck in this country and that the law allows us to do so. The media portraits people so negatively, leaving out aspects of the story that are crucial for understanding but unreported as then it's not sensational. Negativity, Attacks sell truth not. Man beats up elderly lady in carehome, will never sell as many as carehome managers neglect their customers. From that they can spin more stories and create interest in it all which equates to more sales. They twist it all round to the story they feel will best make MONEY! it will get discussed on TV (joy of owning so many mediums of communication eye Rupert? You can generate your own sales, Happy days!) Obviously there are good people in the trade like Kamy and others. But as with everything in life these days greed drives it forward. I'm pleased you state the difference between doing something with intent as I assume that addition to was to emphasis your early point that that was not yours with me? I concur too many people seem not to be able to comprehend the difference between intent and accident. They are also too quick to impose their own believes and values on others IE I would have done that on purpose so he must have as well. People seem not to understand that not everyone does things for the same reasons as them or with the same intent.

Reality would appear to me we shared rather a few views on one or two things all along and neither of us really needed to get flustered or angry. The joy of faceless communication. But the situation has massively progressed from being the biggest load of bull-crap ever written to us actually saying the same thing all along :o:lol:

But the reason I've done this and written what I have is to emphasis what I have been saying about GB. He has to be able to get better at manipulating whatever scenarios come his way in whatever context to provide best chance of 3 points. I'm not convinced he can at present but he has shown willing to do so and await to see if he can improve this aspect of his managerial skills. I think he takes the same approach with the majority of his players and that is one of being a friend, caring etc etc. However a manager is there to 'control' (see above) the various different people beneath him. If my boss did that with me, he and I both know what I would do. I would take advantage of it as I would perceive him as weak (this is how LB sees GB IMO) and that I could manipulate him into better me and my position in whatever manner i so desired. Now by that I don't mean he'd be my robot but my life at work would be better as more often than not I would get what I wanted. Does my boss or do I treat and speak and respond to others the same way, no. When it comes to human beings the same psychological stimulus will not evoke the same response in every person stimulated. GB needs to learn to do the reverse and quickly. Can GB display different styles and strategies required for his differing players to get what he wants out of them to get what he needs, 3 points every week. As that's the only aim he should have in his life and every decision taken should be to best realise that goal with he has at his disposal.

Archived